OB-X8 vs OB-6

LPF83

OB-X8 vs OB-6
« on: June 26, 2023, 05:19:16 PM »
Well I said I would get a desktop OB-X8 if it were to be released..
..it was, and it's glorious.  It just has a certain wow factor.

One thing that caught me off guard is how different it sounds, in almost every dimension, from the OB-6.  I've spent many hours with it now, and the difference I guess is kind of like the Prophet 6 and Prophet 5/10 Rev4....  definitely from the same pedigree in a recognizable way, but still as different as night and day.

Some of the videos out there had me thinking that there was only a subtle difference between the OB-X8 and the OB-6.  I think this is because if someone sits down to match patches between one synth and another, it is basically an exercise in searching for that 2% overlap, which you can find if you want to, but it neglects that other 98% of the time that they sound like instruments that never met each other.  So, yes maybe if you recreate the Jump patch on 7 different synths you could almost conclude that all of those synths are the same, but it's not taking into account that they are only the same within a very small window of playable parameters.

Don't get me wrong, they are both decidedly an Oberheim sound; my OB-6 will stay where it is and not be sold, just know these are two very different instruments that rarely sound the same.  They will both appeal to those who love the Oberheim sound.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 05:21:30 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: OB-X8 vs OB-6
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 09:12:06 AM »
I found the same thing. I tried them both for about 20-30 minutes each yesterday and found them to be very different beasts. The WYSIWYG layout of the OB-6 was really appealing and made tweaking a bit more fun, but the tones out of the box were VERY different. Like you, I just watched a bunch of videos where people matched the tones to each other and yeah, they CAN sound the same if you try to make them, but they naturally have divergent characters.

In the end, I picked up the OB-X8. Haven't had a chance to even take it out of the box yet, but I'm itching to. The OB-6 is still on my list of eventual pickups, for sure. But for now, I have my 6-voice poly covered with the PolyBrute.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 03:44:27 PM »
I found the same thing. I tried them both for about 20-30 minutes each yesterday and found them to be very different beasts. The WYSIWYG layout of the OB-6 was really appealing and made tweaking a bit more fun, but the tones out of the box were VERY different. Like you, I just watched a bunch of videos where people matched the tones to each other and yeah, they CAN sound the same if you try to make them, but they naturally have divergent characters.

In the end, I picked up the OB-X8. Haven't had a chance to even take it out of the box yet, but I'm itching to. The OB-6 is still on my list of eventual pickups, for sure. But for now, I have my 6-voice poly covered with the PolyBrute.

Agree, for immediacy the OB-6 wins, but for depth, versatility, and overall sound the OB-X8 wins.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 10:24:45 PM »
I don’t have the OB6. I have the OBX8 synth keyboard. I like that it has 61 keys. My playing style utilizes 8 note chord voicings.  The range of a keyboard is important to me . The OB6 sounds good.
Cost my be a factor for some. Neither is inexpensive. The OBX8 is the best polyphonic analog synth I’ve ever had. I’ve had a polymoog keyboard and a vintage OBXA as well.  I purchased the OBXA used many years ago for $500 dollars. The OBX8 costs 5 times as much.  The OBX8 rack sounds good.  If I had to rate the polymoog and the OBXA and OBX8 I would rate the OBX8 first, the OBXA second and the polymoog keyboard last. The polymoog keyboard wasn’t much of a synth it was a cut down version
that didn’t have the capability’s of the polymoog synthesizer. The polymoog keyboard and the OBXA are very old . Not sure how well they would be holding up if I still had them today.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 05:55:41 PM »
I don’t have the OB6. I have the OBX8 synth keyboard. I like that it has 61 keys. My playing style utilizes 8 note chord voicings.  The range of a keyboard is important to me . The OB6 sounds good.
Cost my be a factor for some. Neither is inexpensive. The OBX8 is the best polyphonic analog synth I’ve ever had. I’ve had a polymoog keyboard and a vintage OBXA as well.  I purchased the OBXA used many years ago for $500 dollars. The OBX8 costs 5 times as much.  The OBX8 rack sounds good.  If I had to rate the polymoog and the OBXA and OBX8 I would rate the OBX8 first, the OBXA second and the polymoog keyboard last. The polymoog keyboard wasn’t much of a synth it was a cut down version
that didn’t have the capability’s of the polymoog synthesizer. The polymoog keyboard and the OBXA are very old . Not sure how well they would be holding up if I still had them today.

I have the OB-X8 desktop and use it with a 61 key controller, a lesser number of keys would not be appropriate for this particular synth and my style of playing.  The OB-6 has always played a slightly different role for me... both the OB6 and P6 are awesome in their sound and set of features, and at 49-keys for me they make great 2nd and 3rd tier synths (I'm talking about the reduced weight and their role on upper tiers of a keyboard stand and not their sound quality).   This means I reach for them for their specific strengths...  they have built in sequencers and other things their big brothers do not do -- sequencers that work well with the clock coming out of the DAW.

It's funny because I wondered if a desktop version would be produced of this synth -- had it not, I may have had to cave in to the keyboard version which in my small studio room would have required shuffling things around and giving up precious real estate. 

But the end result did not disappoint.  The OB-X8 desktop is spectacular, exactly what I needed for my layout and workflow and can either complement or lead the Prophet10 in ways that make these two synths the first thing I reach for for song writing and sound design inspiration.  The OB6 and Prophet6 are amazing and special synths in their own right that do things the OB-X8 and Prophet10 don't do, so they will stay where they are.  Perhaps the bigger question is, what else could I need?  Bucket list fulfilled..

« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 05:57:33 PM by LPF83 »

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 06:46:13 PM »
A question was asked in another thread whether the OB-X8 has the same "shimmer" of the OB-6.  Short answer is yes I think it can do the same types of sounds, but to me, even if my own definition of shimmer isn't correct, I associate the sound characteristic of shimmer more with FX, which on my OB-6 often plays a big part in how that keyboard sounds on its own with no other FX aside from what's on board.  With the OB-6 everything goes through a 2 pole filter which has a particular fizz on everything, and when you combine that with the onboard FX you may get a certain sound that the OB-X8 might (I'm guessing) need outboard FX to give you the same type of shimmery feel, depending on what one considers shimmer.  The OB-X8 has a similar filter option which can give you fizz in droves and the way that SEM filter hits the fizz is always exciting.  But it doesn't have onboard delay or phaser or distortion FX for example that can add "insta shimmer magic".

In a nutshell I think the OB-X8 has this kind of magic in the interaction between its oscillators that I don't hear in the OB-6, something about the pads and strings.  Where the OB-X8 is smoother, the OB-6 has a little more modern sound.. Both can be pushed to sound like one another if needed, they are quite different synths.

Others may disagree but I feel the OB-6 is very much from the Oberheim pedigree, but has a signature sound of its own that is somewhat modern.. and it's a very immediate and simple synth.  The OB-X8 is the quintessential Oberheim sound, but also astonishingly versatile -- both in it's tone, different filter types and unique features, but its a deeper synth that feels like it truly represents multiple synths in the Oberheim line, and therefore has a deeper learning curve to tap into everything they all offer.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 06:49:53 PM by LPF83 »

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 11:13:42 AM »
I prefer the OB6

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 11:25:36 AM »
A question was asked in another thread whether the OB-X8 has the same "shimmer" of the OB-6.  Short answer is yes I think it can do the same types of sounds, but to me, even if my own definition of shimmer isn't correct, I associate the sound characteristic of shimmer more with FX, which on my OB-6 often plays a big part in how that keyboard sounds on its own with no other FX aside from what's on board.  With the OB-6 everything goes through a 2 pole filter which has a particular fizz on everything, and when you combine that with the onboard FX you may get a certain sound that the OB-X8 might (I'm guessing) need outboard FX to give you the same type of shimmery feel, depending on what one considers shimmer.  The OB-X8 has a similar filter option which can give you fizz in droves and the way that SEM filter hits the fizz is always exciting.  But it doesn't have onboard delay or phaser or distortion FX for example that can add "insta shimmer magic".

In a nutshell I think the OB-X8 has this kind of magic in the interaction between its oscillators that I don't hear in the OB-6, something about the pads and strings.  Where the OB-X8 is smoother, the OB-6 has a little more modern sound.. Both can be pushed to sound like one another if needed, they are quite different synths.

Others may disagree but I feel the OB-6 is very much from the Oberheim pedigree, but has a signature sound of its own that is somewhat modern.. and it's a very immediate and simple synth.  The OB-X8 is the quintessential Oberheim sound, but also astonishingly versatile -- both in it's tone, different filter types and unique features, but its a deeper synth that feels like it truly represents multiple synths in the Oberheim line, and therefore has a deeper learning curve to tap into everything they all offer.

Thanks for the detailed response! Bottom line, I just need to find two to compare in person. I've read all the specs and it is really subjective per use case. I'm traveling over the next month and hope to find both I can compare in person.

Maybe a couple of questions you can help answer/clarify on the OBX8. 1. Are you able to select the split point on any key on the keyboard or just a C? The manual is a bit confusing (or maybe it is user error on my part). 2. Do you know if you are able to transpose midi notes coming in?

Thanks again for your help.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 01:01:00 PM »

Thanks for the detailed response! Bottom line, I just need to find two to compare in person. I've read all the specs and it is really subjective per use case. I'm traveling over the next month and hope to find both I can compare in person.

Maybe a couple of questions you can help answer/clarify on the OBX8. 1. Are you able to select the split point on any key on the keyboard or just a C? The manual is a bit confusing (or maybe it is user error on my part). 2. Do you know if you are able to transpose midi notes coming in?

1.  You can set the point to any key on the keyboard.  It's semi-cumbersome to explain, but very easy to use.  The Split Point value is adjustable on Page 2 of split mode and defaults to 60, which means the lower region would be the lowest two octaves on a 61 key keyboard; the value range is 1 to 127.   So if you wanted the lower range restricted to one octave on same keyboard, you could set it to 48 (effectively allowing 12 more keys to the upper patch).
2.  To my knowledge none of my synths (including this one) can transpose notes from MIDI in -- maybe I'm wrong but I always do that via the DAW when I need it.

LPF83

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 04:57:57 PM »
I prefer the OB6

It's a great synth.  I think the comparisons are a worthwhile discussion though, because for a long time the OB-6 was the only viable choice for Oberheim fans, so now (especially with the more affordable desktop module available), many folks are trying to decide which to get, or whether it makes sense to sell their OB-6 to get an OB-X8, or add an OB-6 to compliment their OB-X8 etc.

Milesaway has a video that's worth watching, and he mentions some types of sounds that the OB-6 excels at:

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 05:32:20 PM »

1.  You can set the point to any key on the keyboard.  It's semi-cumbersome to explain, but very easy to use.  The Split Point value is adjustable on Page 2 of split mode and defaults to 60, which means the lower region would be the lowest two octaves on a 61 key keyboard; the value range is 1 to 127.   So if you wanted the lower range restricted to one octave on same keyboard, you could set it to 48 (effectively allowing 12 more keys to the upper patch).
2.  To my knowledge none of my synths (including this one) can transpose notes from MIDI in -- maybe I'm wrong but I always do that via the DAW when I need it.

Great! Thanks for the help!

-AJ-

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 04:27:08 PM »
I preordered an OB-6 when it was released, and it was my main synth until I got the OB-X8, chick I’ve now spent months learning every corner of (still not 100% done).

I didn’t sell the OB-6 until after I got the OB-X8, because I wanted to be sure of the decision. It ended up being easy.

8 voices and a 5 octave keyboard are the most obvious big advantages. But the sound is significantly different, and better. I don’t know the details of engineering, but the OB-6 sounds thinner and more compressed, with more high frequency sizzle and bite, and more “scooped” with the sub added to that. The X8 is smoother in the highs, and much punchier and more solid and aggressive in the mids and low mids. The X8 filters have a more dramatic impact on the sound, where the OB-6 filters are more subtle. It seems like there must be some differences in gain staging as well, as the output of the OB-6 seems more compressed, and the X8 sounds more dynamic.

In terms of functionality, you can see what you lose and what you gain from the manuals without having them in person. The X8 ends up having a much wider range of sounds and more modulation, even though that may not be totally clear from the specs. But you lose the sweepable filter modes, the Clock section, some of the “X-Mod” section, the effects and the sequencer. The X8 arpeggiator can basically be used as an 8 note sequencer, so there is some overlap there.

The biggest difference, in my opinion, is actually the envelopes. The curves are very different, which means the X8 can do shorter, more percussive sounds much better than the OB-6, to an extent I wasn’t sure of before I got it. Things like electric piano, clavinet, organ, marimba, and so forth. And percussive basses with a lot of attack. There are whole categories of sounds that the OB-6 can’t really do, or at least not very well.

The most similar set of sounds are the big, slow pads with the SEM 2-pole filter that OBs are known for. So it’s like they tried to make sure those sounds were there on the OB-6, but that’s kind of all you get from the full OB tool box, and you get the whole thing from the OB-X8.

I would describe the OB-6 as a slimmed down version of an OB, with a narrower range of sounds, and a few modern conveniences. The biggest losses going to the X8 are the effects and the tempo/BPM sync function. Everything else about it is an upgrade.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 05:39:23 AM »
I prefer the sound of the OB6. I guess I'll be in a minority there.. but the OB6 sounds like nothing else I've heard really, when you get really down into the nitty gritty. Whereas the OBX8, to my ears, sounds a touch more traditional 'Oberheimy' (I hate myself already for that comment..).. like a resurrection of something from yesteryear. Which I guess is the point of it.

However having said that, I don't think the difference in sounds is that great really.

-AJ-

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 01:59:12 PM »
I prefer the sound of the OB6. I guess I'll be in a minority there.. but the OB6 sounds like nothing else I've heard really, when you get really down into the nitty gritty. Whereas the OBX8, to my ears, sounds a touch more traditional 'Oberheimy' (I hate myself already for that comment..).. like a resurrection of something from yesteryear. Which I guess is the point of it.

However having said that, I don't think the difference in sounds is that great really.

I didn’t think it was that big until I got it. It is significant. But also like I said, there are some sounds where it’s pretty close. If the OB-X8 is capable of 20 different types of sounds (just a random number to make the point, it’s more than that), the OB-6 is pretty good at one of them - pads with the SEM filter.

When it comes to “emulative sounds” like brass, electric piano, etc, the X8 is way, way better.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 02:02:51 PM by -AJ- »

-AJ-

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 02:12:50 PM »
I prefer the OB6

It's a great synth.  I think the comparisons are a worthwhile discussion though, because for a long time the OB-6 was the only viable choice for Oberheim fans, so now (especially with the more affordable desktop module available), many folks are trying to decide which to get, or whether it makes sense to sell their OB-6 to get an OB-X8, or add an OB-6 to compliment their OB-X8 etc.

Milesaway has a video that's worth watching, and he mentions some types of sounds that the OB-6 excels at:

The filter part of that video shows the big difference.

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 03:26:42 PM »

If the OB-X8 is capable of 20 different types of sounds (just a random number to make the point, it’s more than that), the OB-6 is pretty good at one of them - pads with the SEM filter.

Each to their own I guess, but in all honesty to my ears that’s one of the most ridiculous things I think I’ve read about a synth. The OB6 can do one good sound. Fair enough if you think that, but that’s a million miles away from what I think!

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 03:31:01 PM »

When it comes to “emulative sounds” like brass, electric piano, etc, the X8 is way, way better.

Apologies for the double response, but I don’t know how to do the multiple quotes thing.

Tbh I am not that interested in direct emulations, but I guess you mean the synth ‘versions’ of those sounds? If so, again I really disagree here. Some of the brassy type sounds from the OB6 are amazing, and it really excels at the whole tinkly EP thing. I know it’s subjective, so again fair enough, but I really love what the OB6 does in those areas

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2023, 04:12:38 PM »
..I should also add that I think the OBX8 is an amazing synth. We’re really comparing some incredible synths here, I believe that the stable that DSI and the resurrected Sequential and Oberheim has produced really includes some of the best synths ever seen, in my opinion. For me personally, the P08, P6, OB6 and PX are my favourites (especially P08 and P6 - P6 over the P5/P10 for me for the same reasons). I haven’t spent enough time with a P12 or a Poly Evolver to speak well about them (but I have a feeling I would love them both). But they are all pretty incredible, powerful synths

-AJ-

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2023, 07:13:42 PM »

If the OB-X8 is capable of 20 different types of sounds (just a random number to make the point, it’s more than that), the OB-6 is pretty good at one of them - pads with the SEM filter.

Each to their own I guess, but in all honesty to my ears that’s one of the most ridiculous things I think I’ve read about a synth. The OB6 can do one good sound. Fair enough if you think that, but that’s a million miles away from what I think!

One type of sound - pads. It can do other things, but it doesn’t do them as well as most other synths, including something like the Prophet-6, which has a wider range. The X8 and the OBs it was based on can compete with a Prophet for versatility. I can’t really say that about the OB-6. And I had one for a long time.

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 03:01:52 AM »

One type of sound - pads. It can do other things, but it doesn’t do them as well as most other synths, including something like the Prophet-6, which has a wider range. The X8 and the OBs it was based on can compete with a Prophet for versatility. I can’t really say that about the OB-6. And I had one for a long time.

If that’s your view then my take on that is either that you didn’t figure out how the programme the thing properly (unlikely from the other things you are saying), or that you bought the wrong synth when you bought the OB6 - sounds like you and the OB6 don’t connect for whatever reason, which is absolutely legitimate. Glad that you found a synth which you do get the results you want from. I personally love the sounds the OB6 produces, and I personally feel that it is quite unique in a way. Each to their own, the most important thing for me is to find an instrument that inspires you - which is more OB6 than OBX8 for me, and sounds like the reverse for you!