OB-X8 vs OB-6

-AJ-

Re: OB-X8 vs OB-6
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2023, 12:18:38 PM »
I prefer the sound of the OB6. I guess I'll be in a minority there.. but the OB6 sounds like nothing else I've heard really, when you get really down into the nitty gritty. Whereas the OBX8, to my ears, sounds a touch more traditional 'Oberheimy' (I hate myself already for that comment..).. like a resurrection of something from yesteryear. Which I guess is the point of it.

However having said that, I don't think the difference in sounds is that great really.

If the OB-X8 is capable of 20 different types of sounds (just a random number to make the point, it’s more than that), the OB-6 is pretty good at one of them - pads with the SEM filter.

Each to their own I guess, but in all honesty to my ears that’s one of the most ridiculous things I think I’ve read about a synth. The OB6 can do one good sound. Fair enough if you think that, but that’s a million miles away from what I think!

One type of sound - pads. It can do other things, but it doesn’t do them as well as most other synths, including something like the Prophet-6, which has a wider range. The X8 and the OBs it was based on can compete with a Prophet for versatility. I can’t really say that about the OB-6. And I had one for a long time.

If that’s your view then my take on that is either that you didn’t figure out how the programme the thing properly (unlikely from the other things you are saying), or that you bought the wrong synth when you bought the OB6 - sounds like you and the OB6 don’t connect for whatever reason, which is absolutely legitimate. Glad that you found a synth which you do get the results you want from. I personally love the sounds the OB6 produces, and I personally feel that it is quite unique in a way. Each to their own, the most important thing for me is to find an instrument that inspires you - which is more OB6 than OBX8 for me, and sounds like the reverse for you!

The synth I always wanted was an OB-Xa. When the OB-6 came out, that was the closest thing you could get that was new. I also had a Prophet-6. The Prophet-6 was much more versatile. The OB-X8 is much more versatile than the OB-6. It’s also much closer to what I had hoped the OB-6 would be, which was the original OBs that are so highly regarded. I’m giving my objective observations, having owned both.

There are a few areas where the OB-6 has features the X8 doesn’t, and I mentioned those already.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 12:20:25 PM by -AJ- »

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »
If a vintage Oberheim is anyone’s desire then I think most would say the OBX8 is going to be the closest anyone can get (I certainly feel that) - save an actual vintage Oberheim! Amazing synth for sure.

I’m not questioning your view, it’s all subjective after all - I was just surprised about the pad only comment but fair enough, as you explained you were after that certain vintage thing and you didn’t get that from the OB6.

In regards the original question, OBX8 or OB6, it’s just like comparing any two synths, especially as people are saying they sound significantly different. Really depends what you’re after.. for me and what inspires me it’s the OB6, but I wasn’t necessarily after a vintage Oberheim replacement. Rather I was after an inspirational poly synth, and the OB6 has some kind of magic about it which I love.

-AJ-

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2023, 03:31:47 PM »
If a vintage Oberheim is anyone’s desire then I think most would say the OBX8 is going to be the closest anyone can get (I certainly feel that) - save an actual vintage Oberheim! Amazing synth for sure.

I’m not questioning your view, it’s all subjective after all - I was just surprised about the pad only comment but fair enough, as you explained you were after that certain vintage thing and you didn’t get that from the OB6.

In regards the original question, OBX8 or OB6, it’s just like comparing any two synths, especially as people are saying they sound significantly different. Really depends what you’re after.. for me and what inspires me it’s the OB6, but I wasn’t necessarily after a vintage Oberheim replacement. Rather I was after an inspirational poly synth, and the OB6 has some kind of magic about it which I love.

Which sound you like best is subjective. But objectively speaking, the OB-6 can produce a smaller range of different sounds than most synths. The Prophets are probably the most versatile analog, but the OB-X8 is right there with them.

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2023, 05:26:39 PM »

Which sound you like best is subjective. But objectively speaking, the OB-6 can produce a smaller range of different sounds than most synths. The Prophets are probably the most versatile analog, but the OB-X8 is right there with them.

Yes I agree to some extent, the P6 for example is extremely versatile, and a very beautiful synth too. In fact I’d take the P6 over the P5/P10! I suspect I’d be in a minority there too :)

I do also feel the OB6 is a bit underrated in that regard tbh, for me it’s not as limited as some make out, but yes it probably doesn’t have as quite wide a palette as a P6 / P5 or an OBX8.