Sequencing external gear.

Sequencing external gear.
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:10:22 AM »
Hey guys, I am into programming a new track and I was wondering if I can create the beat inside the Tempest and sequence  an external Synth with the build in sequencer.

I was able to play single notes with the Pads but if I record and play it there are just the recorded notes (Events button) but nothing plays.

I checked the Addendum, I checked the Manual and read some Articles about it online but it seems my Tempest wont play external Gear via Midi Sequencer.

NEWEST OS IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY!

I would be happy for every advice.
Thanks much

Philip

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Re: Sequencing external gear.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »
Read the manual and the tips and tricks thread (Hint: first post from Yorgos under heading: Juan Solo's Sequencing External Gear - http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,78.msg473.html#msg473)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:24:35 AM »
thank you very much for the fast response, but this doesnt work at all.. I tried it, tried different ways like this. from this page of tutorials. also made by others.. I thought maybe i miss something out..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:26:43 AM by flinte »

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
Let's start with the basics. Describe exactly how you have connected the outboard synth to the Tempest (every setting and midi cable)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
I too am struggling with sequencing my prophet6. I can easily sequence from a single pad (e.g. pad A1 sequences the prophet) but this does not allow me to sequence with any polyphony.

You can assign each of the pads to send a different midi note to an external synth (e.g. A1 = C5, A2 = B5, A3 = A#5 and so on), but it seems that during playback of a sequence the notes do not trigger the ext synth.

Basically I want to send three notes simultaneously to my prophet and have the three pads used to trigger these sounds as blank pads.

Can anyone help me?

cheers

Dom

RobH

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »
You can sequence one external instrument in mono (only one note at a time) which is assigned in the system menu by choosing which pad A1 for instance to output the sequence. Also you must choose a midi channel for this external sequence assigned to a pad also.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:20:22 AM »
I seem to remember it also takes up a voice - which is pretty dumb! (Please correct me if I'm wrong here but i remember having issues of that nature when I was trying to do it).

Basically the Tempest is not that great for sequencing external gear.  :(
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 02:08:58 AM »
It doesn't take up a voice if you make sure that the Amp envelope amount on the pad that you've assigned to sequencer out is set to zero.  Also make sure that you set any modulation sources that control Amp envelope amount to zero as well.  Also, you have to select either AD or ADSR mode on the envelopes (I forget which) otherwise note lengths will not work properly.

Just a note: The first note of the Tempest's sequencer out often lags (is delayed) following a beat transition.  However, if you're working entirely within a single beat e.g. using Tempest's mutes to drop layers in and out, then you're fine.  In any case, providing you're not working live and are recording everything via the Tempest's individual outputs into your DAW, then any lags can be edited out afterwards.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:13:33 AM by soidthezoid »

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 07:31:40 AM »
In any case, providing you're not working live and are recording everything via the Tempest's individual outputs into your DAW, then any lags can be edited out afterwards.

Apologies, I should've said, "provided that you're recording the Tempest's MIDI output into your DAW"!

RobH

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
In any case, providing you're not working live and are recording everything via the Tempest's individual outputs into your DAW, then any lags can be edited out afterwards.

Apologies, I should've said, "provided that you're recording the Tempest's MIDI output into your DAW"!

Theyn kind of fixed the first beat being late when launching in a recent OS update, as far as i know it hasn't broken again, its usually not that late now afaik

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 12:21:40 AM »
It doesn't take up a voice if you make sure that the Amp envelope amount on the pad that you've assigned to sequencer out is set to zero.  Also make sure that you set any modulation sources that control Amp envelope amount to zero as well.  Also, you have to select either AD or ADSR mode on the envelopes (I forget which) otherwise note lengths will not work properly.

Aha - thanks for this - good to know!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher