Keith McMillen Video Question

Keith McMillen Video Question
« on: December 14, 2016, 05:11:01 AM »
I just watched this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I54AXHBdjHQ

I am confused as to how they are getting pitchbend per note as when I have tried this with my Roli Seaboard, PB has been global.

Are they using a beta OS?
(2) P6 Desktops, Prophet VS Rack, P10 Desktop, OB6 Desktop

Re: Keith McMillen Video Question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:30:09 AM »

I am confused as to how they are getting pitchbend per note as when I have tried this with my Roli Seaboard, PB has been global.

Are you sure that the demo is utilizing any polyphonic bend / pressure, etc. to begin with? It didn't seem that way....

In general, the easiest way to demonstrate poly-pressure or poly-bend (MPE or otherwise) is to start with a single oscillator, with no pitch modulation by default, using a standard equal-tempered tuning, bending / pressing / sliding individual notes within a triad (which varies the beat frequencies within the triad).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:40:50 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

autoy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:41:03 AM »

It does respond to polyphonic aftertouch however, that could be routed to VCO1/2 pitches maybe?

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 07:07:59 AM »
In the video there is a clip where left to right motion is controlling pitch and it is affecting only the notes where the motion occurs. Polyaftertouch AFAIK is on the downward axis. On my Roli, I cannot get the left to right pitch motion to control individual notes as is shown in this video.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:14:58 AM »
Actually, after watching more closely, I don't think the x axis is set to PB as I thought in the second playing scene. Just wishful thinking on my part that real MPE support was coming. As you were.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »

It does respond to polyphonic aftertouch however, that could be routed to VCO1/2 pitches maybe?

Routed by what? There's no mod matrix....

Although the OB-6 / Prophet-6 responds to both mono as well as poly aftertouch (p72 of the OB-6 manual), the manual explicitly states that monophonic pressure is sent to all voices–in other words, it may very well use the maximum value of Polyphonic Key Pressure and route that as Channel Pressure through the usual front panel options for Aftertouch.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 01:54:53 PM »
Polyaftertouch does get routed properly to individual voices using the Aftertouch mod routings available on the front panel.  The problem for me is that in omni mode, pitch bend messages on any channel affect all voices on all MIDI channels globally. So, channel per voice mode is incompatible using MPE controllers which expect each MIDI channel pitch bend to be discrete on each channel allowing for contrary bending and individualized vibrato.