What Will Follow the Prophet '08, and When?

Re: What Will Follow the Prophet '08, and When?
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2017, 11:04:19 PM »
Congratulations Emoji on your purchase!  The P-08 is a fantastic synth.  You will be amazed just what you can do with it.  It will take some time to dig in past the presets, but it will be well worth your while if you do.  The P-08 rewards exploring. learning and creativity.   BTW, when you get it, can you let us know the first two of your serial number, e.g., 61xx.  There's been talk around here about how many P-08's were produced. Probably between 6000 and 7000, but it would be fun to know.  Thanks!
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2017, 11:43:27 PM »
I've been looking a little at the BOSS CE-2W Chorus: https://www.boss.info/us/products/ce-2w/

Not cheap but initial reviews seem good. The standard mode (CE-2?) does mono to stereo as far as I can tell.

Back in the day, the CE-2 was pretty much standard equipment for gigging and recording with a P-05. It was kinda trashy sounding, but that's what gave the Prophet "that sound" -  That and the original Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I am getting a Lexicon MX 200 for the reverb/chorus I want for live performance.  Will probably find a Tube Screamer about the same time as the MX -200.   Don't know what would sound good outside those gizmos.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
I am getting a Lexicon MX 200 for the reverb/chorus I want for live performance.

I'm curious why you've chosen the MX 200 over the MX 300.  I'd like to buy another Lexicon, too.  I have the MX 300 and like it very much, but I prefer the interface of the MX 200.  I'm on the fence about which one to get next, so I'm interested in your reasoning.

« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
Hello!  I just bought a new P 08 on a Black Friday Deal, and am really happy with it.  I've wanted one of these about ever since they came out, and with saving some money and their lowering in price I finally have it.  I was considering the OB6 but that is more expensive and I really like the 61 keys and all the modulation possibilities on the P08, plus I really like the sound of it. 

The serial # by the way is in the 6100's.  I wonder if the modules have their own separate set of serial #'s or do they share?

Yavn

« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
I've been looking a little at the BOSS CE-2W Chorus: https://www.boss.info/us/products/ce-2w/

Not cheap but initial reviews seem good. The standard mode (CE-2?) does mono to stereo as far as I can tell.

Back in the day, the CE-2 was pretty much standard equipment for gigging and recording with a P-05. It was kinda trashy sounding, but that's what gave the Prophet "that sound" -  That and the original Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I am getting a Lexicon MX 200 for the reverb/chorus I want for live performance.  Will probably find a Tube Screamer about the same time as the MX -200.   Don't know what would sound good outside those gizmos.

I'm also interested in the CE-2W.  Has anyone used one?  I picked up a Boss CE-3, which is a good cost effective alternative to get that Roland chorus sound. They go for about $70 and have 2 outs.  Anyone use a Boss SE-70?  They have a good rep as an expensive stereo box.

« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »

I'm also interested in the CE-2W.  Has anyone used one?  I picked up a Boss CE-3, which is a good cost effective alternative to get that Roland chorus sound. They go for about $70 and have 2 outs.  Anyone use a Boss SE-70?  They have a good rep as an expensive stereo box.

Hi Yavn,

Not a Boss SE70 but the similar SE50.

I use a Boss SE50 and Ensoniq DP4 at different times with my Prophet 08 and other gear which suits me very well.
The Boss SE50 has the stereo in , Stereo out but no true bypass if that is important!
I actually prefer my DP4 which has 4 ins and 4 outs with various configurations possible.
Anyway the Boss SE50 is a good workhorse!
Enjoy
Tim

« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
I use a Boss SE50 and Ensoniq DP4 at different times with my Prophet 08 and other gear which suits me very well.
The Boss SE50 has the stereo in , Stereo out but no true bypass if that is important!
I actually prefer my DP4 which has 4 ins and 4 outs with various configurations possible.
Enjoy

The DP/4 is tough to beat: that Philips TDA1541A DAC makes everything it touches sound solid. Must add to list....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »
I am getting a Lexicon MX 200 for the reverb/chorus I want for live performance.

I'm curious why you've chosen the MX 200 over the MX 300.  I'd like to buy another Lexicon, too.  I have the MX 300 and like it very much, but I prefer the interface of the MX 200.  I'm on the fence about which one to get next, so I'm interested in your reasoning.

You'll laugh at my reasoning - price.  ;D  Bought it second hand at GC for $90.  It's coming in from out of state and it should arrive by Friday.  I like the sound of the Lexicon.  The MX-200 seems pretty user friendly.  I was thinking that less is more in this instance.  I don't do a lot of live work anymore.  I prefer not having to turn a lot of knobs when performing.  The MX 300 is definitely a lot more powerful.  However, the way I perform, I will probably find a couple of settings I like and will leave it at that.    So, I'm thinking the MX 200 will be plenty good for that purpose. 

BTW, part of my reasoning for going Lexicon was listening to your recordings.  Love the reverb sound!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:47:14 PM by jdt9517 »

« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2017, 08:43:58 PM »
Enjoy

The DP/4 is tough to beat: that Philips TDA1541A DAC makes everything it touches sound solid. Must add to list....

Hi David,

I agree.
The DP/4 is a great effects unit with plenty of relevance in today's music.

That may of been Ensoniq's hey day in the 90's with the DP Effects units range before the financial dark clouds closed in on the company?

I had a Mirage sampler many years ago and although loading MASOS discs to get to extra editing functionality was a bit of a hassle it was a good price for sampling capability!

They were a quite a pioneering company very much like DSI !

Cheers!
Tim

« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »
@Mallory7 - Congrats and welcome!  You'll love the instrument.   

Yavn

« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »

Hi Yavn,

Not a Boss SE70 but the similar SE50.

Enjoy

I actually have a pair of SE50s with one currently connected to the Prophet!  I've heard that the Boss VF-1 was the best choice betwwen SE50 / 70 / VF1.  Unfortunetlly they seem to be in the $150+ range so I may just stay with the SE50.   The SE50 is a great little box, but can be a tad noisy. 

« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2017, 04:08:39 PM »

The serial # by the way is in the 6100's.  I wonder if the modules have their own separate set of serial #'s or do they share?

Thanks for the info!  Don't know that answer.  Since Sacred Synthesis has both, maybe he can give us some insight.   Given your serial number, chances are that the production was not much more than 6200.  I've seen P-05's with 5xxx serial numbers.  So, the P-08 run was similar. 

chysn

« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »

I can speak for the Mopho Keyboard/Desktop Mopho: Separate sets of serial numbers. Safe bet it's the same with the Prophet.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #273 on: January 19, 2017, 12:50:54 AM »
As noted on Gearslutz, it look like a Rev 2 is on it's way according to this video:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »
This would be a welcome return of DSI to small more affordable modules.

dsetto

« Reply #275 on: January 19, 2017, 10:22:40 AM »
16 dual DCO's. Waveshape modulation.

- "You can vary the “pulse width” of any of the four waveforms by manually dialing in a desired waveshape width or by using an LFO or other modulation source for continuously shifting timbre."
- (Mod Matrix)... is twice as extensive as its predecessor, with 8 individual slots and many more sources/destinations."
- Effects. & "Effects parameters can be modulated through the mod matrix."

« Reply #276 on: January 19, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »
Rev 2 announced:

16 voices, effects and patch compatible with the Prophet '08. Is has shape mod as well, I suppose it is PWM for the Square wave but wonder if it does anything for the Sawtooth and Triangle as well? Price according to their page, https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/2017/01/rev2-16-voice-poly-synth/ is $XXX but have seen $1999 mentioned for the 16 voice.

EDIT: Upon reading that shape mod works on all oscillators, I wonder if this works as on the Arturia Microbrute or Elektron Analog 4 in that on the Sawtooth you get layers of phase shifted Sawtooth waves creating almost a "Supersaw" type of sound.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:03:09 AM by Benzebub »

« Reply #277 on: January 19, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »
EDIT: Upon reading that shape mod works on all oscillators, I wonder if this works as on the Arturia Microbrute or Elektron Analog 4 in that on the Sawtooth you get layers of phase shifted Sawtooth waves creating almost a "Supersaw" type of sound.

I guess the shape mod on the REV2 will more likely do something similar to the shape mod on the Minilogue or Nord Lead A1.

With this exciting news I have to ask myself if I want to replace my Prophet 08 with the REV2.
But I don't really need the effects (I have a Lexicon MX400), the 16 voices, the 8 mod slots and USB connectivity.
The shape mod is the only thing really tempting. But I guess it wouldn't be worth the money I would lose from selling the Prophet 08 and buying the REV2.

« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
For further REV2 discussion please use the dedicated thread over here: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1037.0.html

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:06:30 PM by Paul Dither »