Button issues?

mwl5

Button issues?
« on: June 05, 2024, 06:53:29 AM »
Has anyone had issues with your buttons being unresponsive? Not that they are completely broken, but as in you click in the middle of the button, it doesn't activate, and you have to press it again but harder or repeatedly?

My P5 was sitting for about two weeks and when I played it yesterday, it seemed like 1/3 of the buttons were like this. It probably sounds crazy, but I didn't have this issue before and the onset is baffling to me.

Re: Button issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 07:19:41 AM »
The Prophet style switches on the P6/P5/OB-6 have a very long life expectancy. Any intermittent issues can typically be resolved with a simple contact 'cleaning'. To do this, press any problematic button rapidly ~50 times. This should clear any dust or debris around the contact and improve operation. We very rarely have to replace these buttons in support (unless they somehow get physically damaged).

gus

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 10:01:57 AM »
The Prophet style switches on the P6/P5/OB-6 have a very long life expectancy. Any intermittent issues can typically be resolved with a simple contact 'cleaning'. To do this, press any problematic button rapidly ~50 times. This should clear any dust or debris around the contact and improve operation. We very rarely have to replace these buttons in support (unless they somehow get physically damaged).

Beat me to it, thanks!  8)

I know this intermittent behavior can seem pretty bad on new (expensive) synths, but it's normal for the semi-open prophet (and OB-X8) style switches. Like any piece of music equipment, it's designed to be used! I usually lay some fabric over the P5 top panel in lieu of a pricey dust cover, which helps a bit.

If anyone still has issues with intermittent switches after doing a basic push cleaning routine, reach out to support@sequential.com and we'll be able to help you out.
Sequential | Oberheim

mwl5

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2024, 06:06:48 AM »

Beat me to it, thanks!  8)

I know this intermittent behavior can seem pretty bad on new (expensive) synths, but it's normal for the semi-open prophet (and OB-X8) style switches. Like any piece of music equipment, it's designed to be used! I usually lay some fabric over the P5 top panel in lieu of a pricey dust cover, which helps a bit.

If anyone still has issues with intermittent switches after doing a basic push cleaning routine, reach out to support@sequential.com and we'll be able to help you out.

Thank you!

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 12:12:54 AM »

I only had to push the button like 10 times.  if that.  Probably more like 5 times in quick succession.  For it to self right. 
Prophet 10, 0692
Ryzen 3900XT 12/24
Studio One
iPhone 5s Moog Model D via bluetooths of Reface Looper or Xkeys, Arturia Beatstep Pro w/Roland System 1m, Roland JP08, Roland TD17s as drums &->Prophet 10, Oxygen 8v2->Prophet, Akai Adv 25 or Launchey arps->Prophet10 or any all VSTs.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 01:02:13 AM »
Has anyone had issues with your buttons being unresponsive? Not that they are completely broken, but as in you click in the middle of the button, it doesn't activate, and you have to press it again but harder or repeatedly? io games

My P5 was sitting for about two weeks and when I played it yesterday, it seemed like 1/3 of the buttons were like this. It probably sounds crazy, but I didn't have this issue before and the onset is baffling to me.
The sudden onset you're experiencing after the piano sitting for 2 weeks is a bit curious. It's possible something happened during that downtime that affected the button responsiveness.