Can the Tempest Record Polysynth Lines?

Can the Tempest Record Polysynth Lines?
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
I can play them via MIDI OK but can't seem to get them to stick. Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Can the Tempest Record Polysynth Lines?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:34:03 PM »
Nop you can't do nothing about it simply cause T can't record polyphonically...It's one of my top feature requests that sadly i think it won't happen...
I can play them via MIDI OK but can't seem to get them to stick. Am I doing something wrong?

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 11:26:55 PM »

The sequencer is monophonic (as it is firstly a drummachine).
With some clever programming you can pretty easily get polyphonic sounds out of Tempest sequencer. What you can do, is simply copy the sound to another pad, sequence one note on one pad and the other note on the other pad, so that they will play at the same time, granting you polyphony. With the soundbank B option, there are a total of 32 sounds, so you wont run out of pads any time soon (you will run out of voices first).

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 02:19:28 AM »
What a shame  :'( I did seem as if it should record Polyphonic sequences.

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »
This is the one thing I really wish the Tempest could do! Unfortunately it has been on the feature wishlist for quite some time. I would have loved it if it could have recorded keyboard parts controlling a polyphonic synth. How could would it be to play a Prophet 6/08 into the sequencer and have it record!

In the meantime, it appears that Arturia might have created a solution via the Keystep, which is about $120 (although it is not available outside of the US yet AFAIK). I have one on the way and will report back!

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
The sequencer is monophonic (as it is firstly a drummachine).
With some clever programming you can pretty easily get polyphonic sounds out of Tempest sequencer. What you can do, is simply copy the sound to another pad, sequence one note on one pad and the other note on the other pad, so that they will play at the same time, granting you polyphony. With the soundbank B option, there are a total of 32 sounds, so you wont run out of pads any time soon (you will run out of voices first).

Does this also work when triggering external synths, i.e. could I assign four pads to the same MIDI channel and record one note on each pad to play a chord on the synth that listens on that MIDI channel? Or can I only assign a MIDI channel once?

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 12:27:35 AM »
Does this also work when triggering external synths, i.e. could I assign four pads to the same MIDI channel and record one note on each pad to play a chord on the synth that listens on that MIDI channel? Or can I only assign a MIDI channel once?

You can only have one sound assigned to external sequencer so monophonic sequences only for external gear I'm afraid.

Me - I have a Deluge on the way to act as a sequencer and the 'brain' of my small setup (rubs hands in anticipation). Anyone want to buy a Maschine Studio?  ;)

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Steven Morris

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 02:59:07 AM »
In the meantime, it appears that Arturia might have created a solution via the Keystep, which is about $120 (although it is not available outside of the US yet AFAIK). I have one on the way and will report back!

Forgot about this... I don't think the Arturia Keystep is suited for the same kind of workflow as the Tempest in this regard, unfortunately. Luckily it was relatively inexpensive and has other features that help make up for this.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 08:10:34 AM »
This sounds like an excellent argument for a Tempest replacement with MPC-style functionality, including sequencing and sampling....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

blewis

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »
Or augmenting the Tempest with a Toraiz or the rumored MPC Live. The latter is what I'm hoping for.

This sounds like an excellent argument for a Tempest replacement with MPC-style functionality, including sequencing and sampling....

Shea

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
i feel that with the standalone tempest, just embrace writing monophonically (you can always have a long decay/release and the notes will overlap even though the sequence is monophonic). your song writing skills will probably increase if you do. if you want chords, make a chord in a single patch.

the best way to utilize the tempest as a polysynth is to record it on it's own, sequenced with an external sequencer. you can make it sound as good as the P6 if you find the sweet spots.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 05:57:24 AM »
Embracing to write songs with monophonic melodies is one thing, making (static) chords by detuning oscillators is another. But none of that can replace the interest you would add to a song (an actual song, not a "track" or "jam" based on an 8-bar hook) by using dynamic chord progressions. Hence, these suggestions are not really helpful considering the original question. They are valid concepts in itself, but not solutions to the raised issue.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 05:35:32 AM »
The Tempest was never sold as a workstation. It does one thing really well and that is sequence and synthesize drums. It just happens to do a little more. Think of it as a perk.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Shea

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »
Embracing to write songs with monophonic melodies is one thing, making (static) chords by detuning oscillators is another. But none of that can replace the interest you would add to a song (an actual song, not a "track" or "jam" based on an 8-bar hook) by using dynamic chord progressions. Hence, these suggestions are not really helpful considering the original question. They are valid concepts in itself, but not solutions to the raised issue.

well, there isn't a "solution" because the tempest cannot record poly. there are only workarounds and alternatives. also, i think most songs are structured on loops or hooks, and 8 bars is generous. if you are interested in writing through-composed music, why would you depend on the standalone functionality of something that relies on the loop as bread and butter?

anyways, it's like i said. if you want to use the tempest for chords, use an external sequencer, or play it live.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »

well, there isn't a "solution" because the tempest cannot record poly. there are only workarounds and alternatives. also, i think most songs are structured on loops or hooks, and 8 bars is generous. if you are interested in writing through-composed music, why would you depend on the standalone functionality of something that relies on the loop as bread and butter?

anyways, it's like i said. if you want to use the tempest for chords, use an external sequencer, or play it live.

I have to agree with this.  If you're looking to record "dynamic chord progressions" in the context of "an actual song", why rely on the Tempest's loop-based sequencer at all?  Man up and play the damn thing - musicians do it every day, folks - or sequence it from your DAW if automation is your thing.

Don't get me wrong, would polyphonic recording be an asset?  Sure.  Would it solve either of the issues cited above?  No.  Are there reasonable workarounds?  Yes.

Take the lacking MIDI implementation for instance.  Is it somewhat perplexing that Dave Smith (the father of MIDI) didn't better specify the Tempest for external MIDI control?  Yes.  Can you turn a filter knob by hand while recording.  Yes.  And so you should.  I mean, are we men or are we men (smirk)?

At any rate, how anyone comes to own a $2000.xx boutique analog drum machine, an expensive audio interface, Ableton Suite, or what have you; and then gets blindsided by these so-called shortcomings is beyond me.  It's seems to me that a lot of people are invested in elaborate home studios, yet don't understand the gear.

There are a lot of bugs remaining in the Tempest's firmware that should indeed be fixed; but the finite limitations of the hardware should not come as a surprise to anyone not otherwise in over their head.  Do your research, read the manual, and don't buy anything you don't need or understand.

Cheers!

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
Well said. There was a similar thread on gearslutz pertaining to the perfect hybrid synth which kind of applies to this topic.

For some reason people are always looking for an all-in-one solution. Problem is that it can never be achieved to anyone's satisfaction. I am not sure why this is the case (entitlement issues?). With all the clamour for a "real 909/808", don't people realize these weren't polyphonic devices that can sequence progressive chords etc....?

I think it is great that the Tempest is what it is and to see the rise of analog synths (especially drum machines) surfacing. I hope the next step OTB will be people learning not only to play their own instruments but can actually play within a band environment for club/underground music. 

Happy New Year!

LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 09:50:19 PM »
<Snip>

For some reason people are always looking for an all-in-one solution. Problem is that it can never be achieved to anyone's satisfaction.

</Snip>

Exactly, I remember some all in one devices that really frustrated me. There was a unit, By Roland if I remember, that was a drum machine, recorder and sequencer and it was very frustrating.

One of my friends owned it and it was like booting up a computer before you could make music.

By the time it was ready much of your inspiration was lost.

At that time I remember wishing there was something (not budget) that was "just a drum machine" to replace my aging drum machine. Finally the Tempest came along.

It's not too much nor too little, meaning it's an advanced drum machine that can also synthesize sounds.

A sequencer would be nice but having to wait for a machine to boot-up is a pain nor is a recorder necessary.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m