New Rev2 problem voice?

Naboo

New Rev2 problem voice?
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:33:21 PM »
Hello!

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice.  Just received a new Rev2 desktop and seem to have a rogue voice.  Maybe a filter calibration issue, as it seems one voice plays without being affected by the filter at all.

Tried clearing the calibration table and re-calibration.  It has hanged/crashed a couple of times, but tried again several times and beginning to think it is faulty.

Example is one of the first patches in factory bank 1 called “Play Nice”.

https://soundcloud.com/colorsinwaves/rev2-rogue-voice/s-GUbi0

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:07:30 PM by Naboo »

Naboo

Re: New Rev2 problem voice?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »
Also doesn’t matter how many times I calibrate, it always slows down dramatically when it gets to Voice 15 Filter calibration. Where it takes several minutes.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »
Sounds like one voice is routed passed the filter, which is very funny. This does not sound like something that would be fixed with calibrating. The freezing during calibration is a known issue, solution: let rev2 heat up for 20 minutes, turn off, turn on, calibrate.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »
Yes, retry the calibration with the synth warmed up. Then if that doesn’t fix the issue, I would strongly suggest contacting Sequential Support to report the issue.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Naboo

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 01:00:15 AM »
Thanks everyone,  calibrated many times and still slows down dramatically when it reaches voice 15 filter calibration.  It’s always the 15th note too so suggests issue with voice 15 filter chip.  Only had it for one day so going straight back to the store!

Much appreciated!

Naboo

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 02:05:24 AM »
Also just noticed serial number ends with 00020

So it’s an early model? Or do the first 4 digits indicate something else?

Naboo

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
So I got the replacement and all is good.  Although there is some very faint bleeding of the oscillator signal when the filter cutoff is fully closed.  Can anyone tell me if it is normal?

I have other relative parameters in the filter section set to 0, inc velocity and key amount etc.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
One thing: when you calibrate, make sure you wait until the device has warmed up for about half an hour... then shut the device off... wait 10 full seconds and then turn it on again... now do the filter and osc. calibration routine... if you do not shut the device off like this first, it may freeze during calibration or be very long time about running it thru... this is the best way to make sure you have a good calibrated device.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Naboo

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 12:50:51 PM »
Thanks Razmo,  Yep have calibrated several times successfully.

There’s just a little bit of bleed like a second signal not being affected by the filter. Only audible when the filter is completely closed & filter env, velocity & key track all set to 0.  Not sure how relevant it is in a real world scenario but it is definitely there!

Would you mind testing yours? Turning the volume up when the filter is completely closed, do you hear anything?  Cheers!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 01:38:26 PM »

There’s just a little bit of bleed like a second signal not being affected by the filter. Only audible when the filter is completely closed & filter env, velocity & key track all set to 0.  Not sure how relevant it is in a real world scenario but it is definitely there!

Would you mind testing yours? Turning the volume up when the filter is completely closed, do you hear anything?  Cheers!

I'll test it... But just to be certain; did you check if you may have accidentally set audio mod to a very low value? That could be the cause...

Also notice that the REV2 seems to behave a bit erratic when you use audio mod with a self oscillating filter... Switching oscillators off or even raising sub osc can alter pitch stability in strange ways.. And even introduce very faint bleed... But you have to turn the volume up to hear it, and only when the filter is completely closed (no sound that is)

I would expect this from an analog synth... As long as it only happen when notes are sustained (gated) since you would not hear it in normal operation... If it keeps "ringing" after you released the keys it would be troublesome... Afterall, you WOULD expect a sound when the keys are pressed, and that would totally mask the bleed.

Also make sure you do not have a distortion FX running that would amplify below hearable bleed...

I do not recall having heard any bleed on mine enogh to make me question it 🙂

Naboo

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »
Cheers Razmo, I check the audio mod and all other parameters.
I tested the OB6 and got something similar, so thinking maybe just a consequence of the analog design. 

Also Tested the AS-1 and that was completely silent as I would expect it to be...so who knows.

Never really noticed this before on any other synths I owned, and I’ve owned analog synths from various manufacturers. But guess I’ve been going through the Rev2 with a fine tooth comb since returning the previous faulty unit  :o

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »

On my Rev2 I do get quite some noticeable filter bleed. It is somehow dependable on the OSC settings but always present. For the moment, I just accept it as part of the sonic "quality". But for programming dark soft pads it tends to get in the way. Quite some effort is needed to program around this bleed. But it will always be present.

BTW, on my Rev2 the OSC balance knob bleeds as well. While set to 100% to a silent OSC2, OSC1 can still be heard slightly. Funnily enough, the best setting with the least bleed is 96% to OSC2.

Calibration does not improve either bleeding.

Curious whether there are no bleed Rev2-Filters out there.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 02:21:14 AM »

On my Rev2 I do get quite some noticeable filter bleed. It is somehow dependable on the OSC settings but always present. For the moment, I just accept it as part of the sonic "quality". But for programming dark soft pads it tends to get in the way. Quite some effort is needed to program around this bleed. But it will always be present.

BTW, on my Rev2 the OSC balance knob bleeds as well. While set to 100% to a silent OSC2, OSC1 can still be heard slightly. Funnily enough, the best setting with the least bleed is 96% to OSC2.

Calibration does not improve either bleeding.

Curious whether there are no bleed Rev2-Filters out there.

I do not seem to have this bleed... and I've been working with headphones even... I'm aware that if no sound is coming from either oscillator, then you may hear a very faint bleed, but with any volume on any oscillator I cannot hear it... and this requires that the Amp envelope is also gated... when not, and the Amp Envelope is at it's minimum it's dead quiet. Thus I do not see any problem with that since when ever a sound is gated, you would normally want a sound coming from the speakers, and it totally mask any bleed that low. I do not know if there are differences to REV2s in this regard. It's not a problem for me at all.