Filter Leaking (Is this standard)?

jmnes

Filter Leaking (Is this standard)?
« on: September 20, 2018, 07:59:23 AM »
Ver: 1.1.4.5, brand new unit

When I load the basic patch and set cutoff to 0, there is still some high end noise coming through.   Playing from middle C on the keyboard, that noise stays louder than the actual intended output until about a cutoff of 65.

Is this as designed or a flaw?

I have recalibrated several times, no change.  I can still easily return to the seller and get a replacement if it is a flaw that requires service.

It makes it difficult to create really soft sounds, as that noise is always very audible unless i set the filter so open that it's not soft...

Re: Filter Leaking (Is this standard)?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »
Init patch with cutoff at 0 should be almost silent--no noise and just a bit of the oscillator coming through if you turn up the volume.

jmnes

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Init patch with cutoff at 0 should be almost silent--no noise and just a bit of the oscillator coming through if you turn up the volume.

It was probably not accurate to say noise, it is the oscillator coming through. It is just much louder than I expected.

If you do the Init patch, cutoff to 0, turn up and slowly start increasing cutoff - at what cutoff value does your intended oscillator sound get to be louder than the high part coming through? 

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:51:58 AM »

It was probably not accurate to say noise, it is the oscillator coming through. It is just much louder than I expected.

If you do the Init patch, cutoff to 0, turn up and slowly start increasing cutoff - at what cutoff value does your intended oscillator sound get to be louder than the high part coming through?
Somewhere around noon. Out of curiosity I compared it to my Moog Subsequent and it has actual noise coming through on Init with the filter cut off all the way--probably due to gainstaging. Not sure what the cause is on the Rev2 but it's not as noticeable when the VCA Env Amount is down to 50%, which many use as a default for more vintagey tones.

jmnes

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
Somewhere around noon. Out of curiosity I compared it to my Moog Subsequent and it has actual noise coming through on Init with the filter cut off all the way--probably due to gainstaging. Not sure what the cause is on the Rev2 but it's not as noticeable when the VCA Env Amount is down to 50%, which many use as a default for more vintagey tones.

Thank you for reviewing that and giving the tip on the VCA Env Amount.

Sounds like it is the normal behavior. That’s reassuring because I hear great sounds coming through here, I just need to learn more.

I’ll experiment with the different gain / volume settings throughout and see if I can get what I am hoping to achieve.

jmnes

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
For the prosperity of future readers:

I spent some time experimenting with the VCA Env Amount and it did indeed work much better for what I was trying to do having it set around halfway.

It’s a little funny to me because the manual says “In most cases you will probably want to set this fully clockwise for maximum VCA”

Considering the issue of this thread and also velocity, I don’t think many of my patches will have full VCA Env Amount.  I guess the point of that is just more like - make sure you don’t set this to zero.