KORG Prologue

LoboLives

Re: KORG Prologue
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2018, 01:17:14 PM »
Any videos of the 8 voice version?

Shaw

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »
Finally Got around to watching the Sweetwater video on this thing.  They usually do a pretty good job of demos in terms of a) sound quality and b) an instruments scope and breadth.

Meh... take it or leave it. Not overly impressed with the sound.  If the Rev2 didn’t exist, it might be more tempting.

I’ll admit a bias here though.  I am not a fan of effect drenched gear demos. I get it that the effects are built in and therefore integral to the synth, but first and foremost, it is a synthesizer.

My 2¢
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
Finally Got around to watching the Sweetwater video on this thing.  They usually do a pretty good job of demos in terms of a) sound quality and b) an instruments scope and breadth.

Meh... take it or leave it. Not overly impressed with the sound.  If the Rev2 didn’t exist, it might be more tempting.

I’ll admit a bias here though.  I am not a fan of effect drenched gear demos. I get it that the effects are built in and therefore integral to the synth, but first and foremost, it is a synthesizer.

My 2¢

Have to agree that effects should complement a patch, not complete it.  A good patch should stand on it's own.
As much as I expect good effect section out of a Korg 2 course dinner synth, it should be the desert, not the main meal.

BTW I just noticed there is no Ext input.  That's an odd omission considering Korg's inclusion of it on the last two 'logues.  How is anyone to attempt to emulate Tetra feedback without it?  Crikey!

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
Having that quality and amount of types of reverb onboard is admittedly a huge plus. It's actually the one sound function of the Prologue that I'm envious of.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »
I am not a fan of effect drenched gear demos. I get it that the effects are built in and therefore integral to the synth, but first and foremost, it is a synthesizer.

Exactly.  We all use effects, but you don't want to need them because the base character of your synthesizer is mediocre.  You want to use effects in order to enhance that which already sounds good.  That's why I, too, always want to hear some substantial demonstrations of a new instrument with no effects, so that I can be certain nothing is being hidden from my ears.  Again, you could run a broken kazoo through an Eventide and it would sound magnificent, but no thanks to the kazoo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:57:23 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
I am not a fan of effect drenched gear demos. I get it that the effects are built in and therefore integral to the synth, but first and foremost, it is a synthesizer.

Exactly.  We all use effects, but you don't want to need them because the base character of your synthesizer is mediocre.  You want to use effects in order to enhance that which already sounds good.  That's why I, too, always want to hear some substantial demonstrations of a new instrument with no effects, so that I can be certain nothing is being hidden from my ears.  Again, you could run a broken kazoo through an Eventide and it would sound magnificent, but no thanks to the kazoo.

I would actually love if Eventide partnered with a synth company and had some of their effects on board a synth.

Shaw

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

I would actually love if Eventide partnered with a synth company and had some of their effects on board a synth.
If nothing from NAMM excites me this year, I’ll likely pick up an Eventide H3000 (or other model, but those are getting priced right on the second hand market) just to run my synths through...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:42:10 PM by Shaw »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 06:01:35 PM »

If nothing from NAMM excites me this year, I’ll likely pick up an Eventide H3000 (or other model, but those are getting priced right on the second hand market) just to run my synths through...

Yeah I was looking at an Eclipse myself.

Shaw

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 06:29:39 PM »

Yeah I was looking at an Eclipse myself.
Those are also awesome sounding units.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »

Ditto.  I wasn't complaining about the Eventide, but about any synthesizer that needs an Eventide in order to sound good.

Shaw

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 08:58:24 PM »

Ditto.  I wasn't complaining about the Eventide, but about any synthesizer that needs an Eventide in order to sound good.
That’s an important distinction.

LoboLives

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2018, 09:15:10 PM »

Actually two effects that I’d like to see in a new OS update for the P6 or REV2 or even the next DSI synth are “Reverse” and “Harmonizer”.

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 10:31:38 PM »

Actually two effects that I’d like to see in a new OS update for the P6 or REV2 or even the next DSI synth are “Reverse” and “Harmonizer”.

and the likely response will be ;D:

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 07:49:49 AM »
and the likely response will be ;D:

Yep, he'll probably be told to go buy a tape recorder and play back his parts in reverse or hire a second keyboardist to harmonize with or given some other unhelpful aggro suggestions. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:58:16 AM by Sleep of Reason »

LoboLives

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »
Honestly I can see why it’s frustrating for DSI with the feature requests. So I don’t blame them if they get a bit aggravated. Ultimately they want to move on to the next thing not keep going back to synths that are a few years old now trying to add new things. My only gripe is that when stuff is requested on an old synth they don’t implement it on their next one.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
That's just not the way to interact with customers at all. With the ability of software updates these days, it's pretty much a given that there will be streamlining even with relatively cheap products. Perhaps asking for extra effects is not realistic, but such additions would certainly go a long way with customers, especially considering what the competition is offering these days. Also to directly tie it into this thread, why the lack of a feature such as aftertouch on a flagship model in 2018 is making people raise an eyebrow as they very well should.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:25:44 AM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
Hey folks, let's not carry over the feature request discussion from the Rev2 subforum to this rather unrelated thread. I'm not writing this to shut people down, but I can sense a growing passive aggressive tone that I believe isn't very fruitful for the future climate of this forum.

As for those comments about feature requests, I would also like to point out that it doesn't make sense to measure a comparably tiny company like DSI against manufacturers like Korg, as they simply don't share the same resources, neither in terms of employee numbers nor—which is related to that—in terms of exclusive firmware maintenance time. There is no large division for past products and one for future developments. In a small company like DSI, most people have to take care of many different tasks simultaneously.

The latter simply means that it sometimes takes a bit of patience while you're waiting for OS updates or bug fixes. Yes, that can be frustrating at times, which has also already been acknowledged on behalf of DSI on a number of occasions. But there's certainly not an evil masterplan behind all that, like a willful strategy for letting down customers. Quite the opposite is the case: The tech support is very responsive and will usually get back to you within 24 hours. These people also make sure that in those cases where parts have to be swapped, things will be handled as straightforward as possible both in terms of repairs and shipping.

The reason why it can take a bit longer now and then is simply a company with less than 20 employees, a not inconsiderable number of instruments to take care of—most of which have a flagship status—, and finally the fact that they're still developing new products each year to keep us gear nerds happy.

So, let's all take a deep breath and try to engage in a more constructive conversation, not least because there are human beings that like to be treated fairly on each side.

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »
Open (or better put, extensible) firmware, for both oscillator and for FX slots, is a smart idea, but it requires a tacit positive assessment regarding the ability of one's end users (or third-party developers) to deliver something of value to a design outside of the traditional product development process.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:00:25 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »
Hey folks, let's not carry over the feature request discussion from the Rev2 subforum to this rather unrelated thread. I'm not writing this to shut people down, but I can sense a growing passive aggressive tone that I believe isn't very fruitful for the future climate of this forum.

As for those comments about feature requests, I would also like to point out that it doesn't make sense to measure a comparably tiny company like DSI against manufacturers like Korg, as they simply don't share the same resources, neither in terms of employee numbers nor—which is related to that—in terms of exclusive firmware maintenance time. There is no large division for past products and one for future developments. In a small company like DSI, most people have to take care of many different tasks simultaneously.

The latter simply means that it sometimes takes a bit of patience while you're waiting for OS updates or bug fixes. Yes, that can be frustrating at times, which has also already been acknowledged on behalf of DSI on a number of occasions. But there's certainly not an evil masterplan behind all that, like a willful strategy for letting down customers. Quite the opposite is the case: The tech support is very responsive and will usually get back to you within 24 hours. These people also make sure that in those cases where parts have to be swapped, things will be handled as straightforward as possible both in terms of repairs and shipping.

The reason why it can take a bit longer now and then is simply a company with less than 20 employees, a not inconsiderable number of instruments to take care of—most of which have a flagship status—, and finally the fact that they're still developing new products each year to keep us gear nerds happy.

So, let's all take a deep breath and try to engage in a more constructive conversation, not least because there are human beings that like to be treated fairly on each side.

Agreed.

Shaw

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2018, 05:18:02 PM »

Agreed.
I honestly don’t get all these feature requests.  Bug fixes, sure. That’s different. But demanding features that were never advertised or promised?  That borders on moronic. 
Imagine the guy who buys a car, takes it back to the dealership after a couple months, and demands the dealership add a navigation system. They might do it if you PAID for it, but otherwise, they start laughing.
When you buy an item, it generally comes as is — that is certainly true as to features.