(NEW) Behringer Vocoder VC304 (With pics)

LoboLives

(NEW) Behringer Vocoder VC304 (With pics)
« on: January 08, 2018, 05:05:13 AM »
I always wanted to see a new analog string machine come back to the modern market....I also wanted to see an analog vocoder do the same....well....enter Behringer. I'll be picking this up for sure.

https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-finally-reveal-vocoder-vc340/

Re: (NEW) Behringer Vocoder VC304 (With pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:20:47 AM »
Looks interesting!!
Tim

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
I always wanted to see a new analog string machine come back to the modern market....I also wanted to see an analog vocoder do the same....well....enter Behringer. I'll be picking this up for sure.

Hmm, I looked at it and thought, LoboLives gets both in one almost, then read the article which said ".... it’s also a “string ensemble”", heheh.  I have to ask the same question as the writer though, which is why a vocoder?  I know Korg's MicroKorg is super popular and it's got one and even comes with the mic on a gooseneck but I just don't hear the effected used on vocals.  Could be getting used a lot as an instrument effect.  I don't sing anywhere but in the car and at work, so for me it would be an instrument/sample effect.  LoboLives, what would you use a vocoder for?
I'm interested in an analogue string machine.  I have a Striechfett and it's great, but I'd like one made with circuits.  I wonder how the VC340 sounds?  Let's hope is like a VC330!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 12:25:40 AM »
I'll wait until Behringer makes a clone of the Eminent 310 Unique in desktop version, and add a stereo clone of the Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phaser to it :D ... will probably have to wait a long time.... though a clone of the Solina has been talked about (I believe Behringer even asked if it would be ok if it had no keys)...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:15:04 AM »

Hmm, I looked at it and thought, LoboLives gets both in one almost, then read the article which said ".... it’s also a “string ensemble”", heheh.  I have to ask the same question as the writer though, which is why a vocoder?  I know Korg's MicroKorg is super popular and it's got one and even comes with the mic on a gooseneck but I just don't hear the effected used on vocals.  Could be getting used a lot as an instrument effect.  I don't sing anywhere but in the car and at work, so for me it would be an instrument/sample effect.  LoboLives, what would you use a vocoder for?
I'm interested in an analogue string machine.  I have a Striechfett and it's great, but I'd like one made with circuits.  I wonder how the VC340 sounds?  Let's hope is like a VC330!

A lot of players simply used the string ensemble and choir parts of the keyboard (In fact Vangelis used the string part for the strings at the end titles of Blade Runner).

For me there is a big difference using a vocoder on say the MicroKorg or even the Roland JDXa and using an analog Vocoder. It adds a strange Mellotron type warble to your voice that almost sounds ghostly. Great for soundtrack works (I can think of quite a few soundtracks that have used one). In fact I recently picked up the the Italian gore/horror film Anthropophagus on blu ray and the Marcello Giombini score features an analog vocoder. Really creepy sounding "ahhh" type sounds while an ARP 2600 drones, bleeps and bloops underneath along with a pipe organ.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Every new synth released and discussed catches a bit of my attention, but I'll admit this is the first "new" anything that I've felt an immediate need for. Yeah, no idea what I'd do with the vocoder, but that won't stop me from doing something! I'm very intrigued.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
A lot of players simply used the string ensemble and choir parts of the keyboard (In fact Vangelis used the string part for the strings at the end titles of Blade Runner).

For me there is a big difference using a vocoder on say the MicroKorg or even the Roland JDXa and using an analog Vocoder. It adds a strange Mellotron type warble to your voice that almost sounds ghostly. Great for soundtrack works (I can think of quite a few soundtracks that have used one). In fact I recently picked up the the Italian gore/horror film Anthropophagus on blu ray and the Marcello Giombini score features an analog vocoder. Really creepy sounding "ahhh" type sounds while an ARP 2600 drones, bleeps and bloops underneath along with a pipe organ.

Uh-huh, I'll have to check out that film.  I'd be interested to hear a vocoder on my Microgranny or Nandamonium.

....Yeah, no idea what I'd do with the vocoder, but that won't stop me from doing something!....

LOL, yeah that's the spirit!

It's a got a hole to put sound into it with, so may as well put some sound into it and see what happens, heheheh, whether it wants vocals or guitar or whatever.  It's been my manifesto since I first saw a guitar pedal and it's always managed to keep life a little less ordinary.  I once used my Evolver to amp a turntable to bring it upto line level for recording (n.b. if you do this, turn input hack off ;) )

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:01:14 AM »

Uh-huh, I'll have to check out that film.  I'd be interested to hear a vocoder on my Microgranny or Nandamonium.

Here's a clip from it. It never has received an official release so you'll hear some sound effects in there as well...but this track you can hear the Vocoder quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of5irBrtp7M&list=PLetzhgH3uq8egN8kUxHqMpE2MAu5xEjS2&index=10

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 02:57:18 PM »
Just picked up my second VC340. I sold my first, despite really liking it, because of the icky B vibe. Buying a second one second hand at least means no further money goes where it oughtn't.

With my first VC340, the vocoder got lots of use as a standard "classic" vocal tool. This time around, I'm digging into the world of vocoded drum machine tracks, something that never occurred to me previously. I've got a few old drum machines that, while sounding great, have started to feel a bit tired in my hands... I've got a new enthusiasm now for mixing matching my machines.

The strings are great on the 340, though I've not yet mastered the odd triggering. I have a Korg Prologue, which can do wonderful strings, especially when run through a user-created BBD effect, but the plain-old, dumb/raw string sound from the 340 is simply groovy.