No volume output with square shape on OSC 1 & 2

No volume output with square shape on OSC 1 & 2
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »
Hi all,

New to the forum and just picked up a Prophet 06 Module running OS 1.4.0. Today, when I was fooling around with a blank patch I did the following to produce no output:

1. Oscillator 1 turned up 100% in the mixer section
2. Changed to square
3. Changed my pulse width from 0% and 100%. At 0% I hear no output, and at 100% I hear no output.

This is the same for Oscillator 2:

1. Oscillator 2 turned up 100% in the mixer section
2. Changed to square
3. Changed my pulse width from 0% and 100%. At 0% I hear no output, and at 100% I hear no output.

I believe it happens with the triangle shape too, but cannot confirm since I am at work now.

Do I have a defective unit or is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Re: No volume output with square shape on OSC 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:49:13 AM »
Yep, that's expected. Since square waves are pulsing between 0 and 100, instead of fading like a sine or triangle, if you set PW at full on or off there's no signal coming from that OSC. If you turn it up or down a few % you'll hear it again. In the very narrow PW, ~2-5%, you might need to boost the OSC mix level to compensate.

Good stuff to keep in mind when you use PWM, too.  If it modulates to either 0% or 100% at a slow rate that OSC will drop out for part of the mod cycle. But that allows for cool PWM tones at higher rates, so it's a good option to have when used intentionally - or by a happy accident!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:52:13 AM by abstrx »

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:05:41 AM »

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »
Yep, that's expected. Since square waves are pulsing between 0 and 100, instead of fading like a sine or triangle, if you set PW at full on or off there's no signal coming from that OSC. If you turn it up or down a few % you'll hear it again. In the very narrow PW, ~2-5%, you might need to boost the OSC mix level to compensate.

Good stuff to keep in mind when you use PWM, too.  If it modulates to either 0% or 100% at a slow rate that OSC will drop out for part of the mod cycle. But that allows for cool PWM tones at higher rates, so it's a good option to have when used intentionally - or by a happy accident!

I appreciate the response!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
np! shout out to mr Paul Dither for posting the gif