ARP or Oberheim

LoboLives

ARP or Oberheim
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:38:48 AM »
I'm still on the fence about my sequencer set up. I'm still lusting after the Oberheim Two Voice Pro but it's about $4777 where I live now. For that price I could get two ARP Odyssey Modules and an Engine sequencer and still have enough for investing into a Tempest.

Although I love the Oberheim sound and I love the fact the sequencer is on board and can do what I need it to do and save them down to flash memory I fear it may be cost prohibitive.

My biggest fear is I go for the ARP set up and get the Tempest and then the Two Voice goes out of production and I'll never have the chance to own it. Tom has a small operation 

Any advice? Suggestions?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: ARP or Oberheim
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »
Oh the question of the decade - ARP or Oberheim?  An additional question is - God bless him - how long will Tom be in business?  The question you're asking about the Two-Voice Pro I'm wondering also about the whole Oberheim operation.  For how long will the SEMs be in production?

Considering the cost of the Two Voice Pro, have you considered getting instead two SEMs?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:42:59 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »
Oh the question of the decade - ARP or Oberheim?  An additional question is - God bless him - how long will Tom be in business?  The question you're asking about the Two-Voice Pro I'm wondering about the whole Oberheim operation.  For how long will the SEMs be in production?

Considering the cost of the Two Voice Pro, have you considered getting instead two SEMs?

Yeah I didn't want to say it but Tom is 80 years old and bless his heart he's still putting stuff out but I fear once he is no longer with us, his genius will never be duplicated. I feel the same about Dave and Roger. This is why I feel it's best to get these things while there's still integrity behind them as opposed to just blind greed of a huge corporation.

The sequencer on the Two Voice is incredible though. I know Dave says the Pro 2 has the most advanced sequencer on a synth but the Two Voice smokes it. I think what attracts me to the Two Voice is everything in contained in a single unit. I don't need to run CV cables or Midi cables and find additonal stands for modules. It's just one unit that goes above my Prophet 6 and sequences away while the Prophet does leads.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »
I think what attracts me to the Two Voice is everything is contained in a single unit. I don't need to run CV cables or Midi cables and find additonal stands for modules. It's just one unit that goes above my Prophet 6 and sequences away while the Prophet does leads.

It's true.  There's nothing like having the whole package in one self-contained instrument.  Plus, you get the Two-Voice Pro's vibrato LFO.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:49:01 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
I think what attracts me to the Two Voice is everything is contained in a single unit. I don't need to run CV cables or Midi cables and find additonal stands for modules. It's just one unit that goes above my Prophet 6 and sequences away while the Prophet does leads.

It's true.  There's nothing like having the whole package in one self-contained instrument.  Plus, you get the Two-Voice Pro's vibrato LFO.

I think I'm going to go with the Oberheim. It's more money but honestly it may be the last time something of it's kind will be made. ARP's...I don't think it'll have the build quality or even the longevity of the Oberheim. Very few people are going to have a Two Voice Pro years from now, ARPs will be everywhere.