Poly Chaining

Yavn

Poly Chaining
« on: December 28, 2016, 03:19:49 PM »
What's the best way to set up audio when in Poly Chain mode?  Have does everyone have them connect into mixers?  Separate channels? 

I have a Prophet '08 & Tetra both going into the same channel, using the volumes on each synth to adjust the levels. Unfortunately no matter how much I have try to make the voice transition seamless, the Tetra always appears to be slightly louder.   

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Poly Chaining
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 03:28:45 PM »
I use separate channels for my Prophet '08 keyboards and modules.  What other option is there?  At least it does allow you to differently process each instrument. 

The Poly Evolvers have a fabulous configuration in which the keyboard audio runs into the rack inputs, and then the combined signals run into the mixer.  Two instruments, one stereo channel, beautiful!

Too bad MIDI cables can't carry the audio signal.  That would have been so handy.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:30:55 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Yavn

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »
Thanks!

Even with individual volume controlls (on device & mixer) there seems to be some inconsistency betwen patches. Are you readjusting levels between patches?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:44:32 PM »
No more than I normally would with only one Prophet '08.  I'm always adjusting patch volumes, one to the next, from within the instrument using Voice Volume.  It's a fact that different Dave Smith instruments and modules have different audio levels, so I don't think your issue is unusual.

Yavn

Stuck notes in Poly Chain
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
Ok I'm having a strange issue related to the sustain pedal and Poly Chain.  When the sustain pedal is plugged into the Prophet 08' Keyboard and the Tetra plays a note, the note gets stuck on stays on.  Depressing the sustain pedal (or sending an all notes off command) stops the note, but the next note that plays on the Tetra does the same.

It's happened with 3 different pedals.  It happens with nothing else connected to the midi ports, not using a DAW.  Just to make sure it wasn’t a bad port on the 08', I connected a Novation SL49 MK2 to my midi set up and plugged the pedal into the SL and triggered the 08' from it - same issue.

The odd this is that turning off (unplugging) and then turning back on the Tetra while the 08’ stays on seems to keep this from happening. 

Anyone else have issues like this? 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
I would guess that possibly the Global settings in either instrument could be the cause.  Also, there was such a problem with hanging notes with one of the Prophet '08's operating systems. 

If no one responds, you could always directly contact DSI with your question.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »
The Poly Evolvers have a fabulous configuration in which the keyboard audio runs into the rack inputs, and then the combined signals run into the mixer.  Two instruments, one stereo channel, beautiful!

Definitely an elegant solution (via Mix Input) that I wish the OB-6 / Prophet-6 had as well:

Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 07:07:15 PM »
Yes, the most practical design possible.  I wish all the other DSI keyboard/module pairs worked in the same way.  It allows you to get the most out of a mixer.

I'll say it again.  The first generation of DSI synthesizers was exceptional, and it's sad to see the last of it go.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:16:34 PM by Sacred Synthesis »