A funny thing happened on the way to the Trigon forum...

A funny thing happened on the way to the Trigon forum...
« on: May 04, 2024, 12:59:51 PM »
My wife and I were recently back in Berlin and went to Schneidersladen. They've moved and are now split across three locations. We stopped first in the keyboard shop and I finally got to mess with the Trigon. Loved it, as I'd imagined I would, though I didn't spend enough time with it to be able to say more about it here.

The scary and surprising thing, though, happened in the modular shop, which was a block or two away. Not sure how or why, but suddenly, after being resistant all these years, both Julia and I got hit with the "let's get a modular system" bug! We didn't purchase anything, but we did go back a second time to follow up on a few things. I think, for me, anyway, the sudden appeal of modular is that it seems to lean in the opposite direction to where I've been with musical gear for a while. I've been so practical and pragmatic, and everything I buy or record has to have a purpose. With modular, I'm picturing pointless generative meanderings! Basically, I'm dreaming of meditative drones that have no bearing on my pop music mind. Not that all things aren't One, man, but you know what I mean.

I still want a Trigon, but it would probably mean letting go of my Prophet 6. The P6, speaking to my earlier point, is probably the most "practical" synth. It fits well on my desk, serves as a great controller etc. Its sound is familiar  and I know my way around it well, but practicality is starting to wear on me and I need more mystery in my head. We'll see where the modular bug leads, meanwhile...

kpatz

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the Trigon forum...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 03:18:16 PM »
I have nothing to offer except I want a wife like yours!  When I had a wife, it was "another keyboard??"  Not "Let's get a modular system!!"

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the Trigon forum...
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 04:47:47 PM »
I have nothing to offer except I want a wife like yours!  When I had a wife, it was "another keyboard??"  Not "Let's get a modular system!!"

Our wedding gift to ourselves was a Soma Lyra 8! She's not a synth-obsessive like me, but she does like to dig in...