Poly After Touch and OB-X8

Poly After Touch and OB-X8
« on: April 12, 2024, 01:19:03 AM »
Bought an Korg Keystage 61 (but returned as MIDI 2.0 didn’t worked out at expected and the keys were not good) that has a Poly Aftertouch and MPE keyboard. OB-X8 receive external Poly Aftertouch and it worked out at once without any problems.

I thought I would use Poly AT for everything, but it wasn’t the case - it works for some few sounds but not the majority of sounds I use.

The next MIDI controller I will buy will be with Poly AT (still there are only some few around but I’m sure it will be more common for new models) as the OX-X8 receives Poly AT. If Poly AT can be set per patch at the controller it would make everything smoother.

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
Re: Poly After Touch and OB-X8
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 09:09:59 AM »
In general all of the aftertouch implementations on Sequential synths have a generic "Aftertouch" amount and it will use Channel or Poly based on what the controlling keyboard sends. That's just kind of how they've done it for a long time and I don't expect it to change. Probably easier to change what type of AT your controller is sending.
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 01:41:02 PM »
I have a vintage Ensoniq SQ-80 with PolyAftertouch and have tried it playing my OB-X8. It works as a polyphonic Aftertouch for the filter (controlling each voice's filter independently) but for controlling the modulation it acts as a channel Aftertouch.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

g3o2

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 03:17:02 PM »
That’s because on the OBX8 and the Prophet rev 4, the LFO is not polyphonic, aka per voice. Then again, controlling LFO with polyAT is kind of missing the point. In a polyAT setting, you want your fingers to become the LFO or the envelope rather than to control an LFO or an envelope.