Question for P6 owners

Question for P6 owners
« on: December 21, 2023, 06:56:52 AM »
I've only played the P5 and T5. I love the body in the P5's sound, how it sounds physical and organic, sort of like how a vinyl record sounds compared to streamed music.

I'm curious, for those who have or have played the P6, does it have a similar feel in that respect, especially after the Vintage update Sequential did?

Re: Question for P6 owners
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 09:11:14 AM »
I've got both synths, the 5 and the 6. I use them both daily and love them each for what they are. No question for me that the 5 has a more immediate and weighty sound. Gravitas is a word that works. It's very possible to match certain patches between the two synths, but on a gut level, there's still a difference. That said, they're both mighty synths. The Prophet 5 simply has a Sound, while the 6 is is more versatile in its range of sounds, if that makes sense. 

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 11:54:02 AM »
I've got both synths, the 5 and the 6. I use them both daily and love them each for what they are. No question for me that the 5 has a more immediate and weighty sound. Gravitas is a word that works. It's very possible to match certain patches between the two synths, but on a gut level, there's still a difference. That said, they're both mighty synths. The Prophet 5 simply has a Sound, while the 6 is is more versatile in its range of sounds, if that makes sense.

Thank you for your response. I was thinking about getting a P6 because it would be easier to gig around with, but that would mean having to give up the P5 to afford it. Hard choice to make though.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 11:37:00 AM »

Thank you for your response. I was thinking about getting a P6 because it would be easier to gig around with, but that would mean having to give up the P5 to afford it. Hard choice to make though.

In my first band, I used to drag my rev 2 P5 to gigs, Anvil flight case and all. Thankfully, the new P5 isn't as heavy, but mine will never leave the studio. The P6 is better suited for gigging, weight- and size-wise, but the 4-octave keyboard sometimes bugs me.

g3o2

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 08:24:56 PM »
With samplers with auto-sampling becoming ultra-portable and able to handle big multi-samples (eg 1010music’s Tangerine), gigging out live with a precious P5 won’t be necessary anymore, unless you need to live-tweak your sounds with the native features. Needless to say that ideally you will still need a MIDI controller.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 01:59:52 AM »
For live I do as g3o2 describes; sample and use with my laptop (containing MainStage). Yes, it’s boring but convenient. In the studio I’m focus on electronic music but not live. If it was electronic music live it wouldn’t work to sample it as one use the knobs continuously.

I had a P6 before the P5/10 rev 4 was released. Booth are great in differnt ways and I think a P6 is an excellent choice to get the P5 timbres on stage, especially with the vintage update. The built in effects makes it easier as well, just plug and play.