Starting Preset and Directory of saved Dump

Starting Preset and Directory of saved Dump
« on: August 05, 2023, 03:15:11 PM »
Hi there,

i just got my OB-6 and asking myself how to setup the starting Preset. I allways start wit Preset 52, but maybe want to change that. How to do that?

and 2nd

where are the bulk data stored?

Thx for response

GORSCH

Re: Starting Preset and Directory of saved Dump
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 03:27:45 PM »
Hit GLOBALS three times when the patch you want to be the startup one is selected. (Basically going into the global menu always sets the current patch as the startup one.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 03:29:37 PM by Quatschmacher »

kpatz

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 06:35:41 PM »
When you say bulk data, you mean if you do a dump?  It’s sent via sysex to whatever is connected to the midi out or USB.  You’d use a sysex program like Midi-OX or your DAW to save the dump on your computer.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 03:37:00 AM »
At first ... Thx to Quatschmacher.i didn't found this threat in the manual, so thank you very much... things can be that easy.

At second:  thx to Kpatz: I made that dump, but i realy don't know where it is save. There was no asking for any directory where the dump is safed. But I didn't use  sysex or somewaht else. I only did what is said in the manual: Export Programs and Banks. There is mentioned that it will be transfered in Sys Ex Format but that  I have to use Sysex it is not said. HOw does this work? Also to do this with Cubase would be interessting.

kpatz

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 06:43:58 AM »
How did you make the dump?  If you just did it from the OB-6's front panel without running anything on your computer to capture it, it would have gone nowhere.

A librarian program like the Soundtower editor can receive the dump and organize the patches within it for you and let you edit them on your PC.  Or if you just want a backup, something like Midi-OX can do it (if you have a Mac, there are similar programs to this, I'm not familiar with them as I'm a PC guy).  If you use Midi-OX, you'd set it up to receive a sysex file from your synth, then you'd send it from the OB-6, and once it's received, you can save it to wherever you'd like.

I don't know offhand how Cubase handles sysex dumps.  I think it can record them into a midi track, and "play" them back into the synth, but saving as a .syx file is simpler.