SoundTower Editor - Does It Help Loading Stacks & Splits?

SoundTower Editor - Does It Help Loading Stacks & Splits?
« on: July 05, 2023, 04:02:22 PM »
Hi -

I bought the P10 module.  I would like to load stacks & splits.

There are no dedicated buttons for this.  I watched the videos, I see that you hold down a button, push another, etc., but it only gives me one second to find and select a file for "A" or "B" .... and that's not nearly enough!

Will the SoundTower editor solve this problem for me?  If not, what will?

I'm just paging through a mish-mosh of sounds, lots of them just effects with no real musical usage whatsoever. I know this thing is capable of music and I don't know anything about synth operation (my first synth), but I'm an experienced musician of 50+ years (sax, piano, guitar).  I would like to make some music with this thing.

Thanks for any assistance!

- Jeff Newton

Re: SoundTower Editor - Does It Help Loading Stacks & Splits?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 08:49:30 PM »
Hi -

There are no dedicated buttons for this.  I watched the videos, I see that you hold down a button, push another, etc., but it only gives me one second to find and select a file for "A" or "B" .... and that's not nearly enough!

UPDATE:  I heard from Mark at Soundtower.  Sadly, it doesn't do stack and split.  They didn't get full MIDI implementation.  Mark said they may be able to in a couple of months.  I can't figure out how to get more than one second to make my "A" and "B" choices.  So, I have no idea what patches I've selected.

I'm just paging through a mish-mosh of sounds, lots of them just effects with no real musical usage whatsoever. I know this thing is capable of music and I don't know anything about synth operation (my first synth), but I'm an experienced musician of 50+ years (sax, piano, guitar).  I would like to make some music with this thing.

- Jeff Newton

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 04:24:51 AM »
Hi -

- Jeff Newton

The layer  A and B indicators time out after releasing the key but the synth is still in that layer until the user changes it. There’s a dot indicator too. So you have all the time in the world to choose.

Layer A is a sort of “master” and B points at another patch. So you need to choose your layer A sound first, then enable stack/split and then choose your layer B. (If you choose a different sound on layer A, then if it isn’t one which has stack/split enabled at the point of save, it will revert to a normal patch. Perhaps this is what you a mistaking for having only a short time to choose the layer A sound.)

I’d suggest reading the manual addendum for the v2.0 firmware as it is explained there.

g3o2

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 04:54:51 PM »
If you scroll down to the bottom in the following topic you will find a visual overview / cheatsheet of the button combos for the latest firmware: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,6295.0.html

If you want some split and stack sounds, have a look at the following preset pack: http://www.lukeneptune.com/downloads/luke-neptunes-synthwave-soundset-for-prophet-5-10/

Use the cheatsheet to build your own stack/split sounds. Just one important note: layer B of stack/split A/B preset only contains a reference to layer B’s preset location, nothing more.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 05:26:49 PM by g3o2 »

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 08:31:27 PM »
Hi -

- Jeff Newton

The layer  A and B indicators time out after releasing the key but the synth is still in that layer until the user changes it. There’s a dot indicator too. So you have all the time in the world to choose.

Layer A is a sort of “master” and B points at another patch. So you need to choose your layer A sound first, then enable stack/split and then choose your layer B. (If you choose a different sound on layer A, then if it isn’t one which has stack/split enabled at the point of save, it will revert to a normal patch. Perhaps this is what you a mistaking for having only a short time to choose the layer A sound.)

I’d suggest reading the manual addendum for the v2.0 firmware as it is explained there.
Thank you very much!  I do think I was dealing with the "point of save" issue.  And I didn't know that a patch didn't "time out" when the indicator timed out."

Support called and pointed me to the manual addendum, which I had not looked for/seen.  Probably best if they updated the manual.....

Thank you again!

- Jeff Newton

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 12:14:18 PM »
If you scroll down to the bottom in the following topic you will find a visual overview / cheatsheet of the button combos for the latest firmware: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,6295.0.html

If you want some split and stack sounds, have a look at the following preset pack: http://www.lukeneptune.com/downloads/luke-neptunes-synthwave-soundset-for-prophet-5-10/

Use the cheatsheet to build your own stack/split sounds. Just one important note: layer B of stack/split A/B preset only contains a reference to layer B’s preset location, nothing more.

Second the Luke Neptune patches! This soundest literally opened the door for me splitting my keyboard all the time!
Prophet 6 #7612; Pro3 #378; Prophet 10 #2878

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 03:14:57 AM »
Hi -

- Jeff Newton

A different direction I have taken in doing this is to load presets via the touch of a button on my stream deck.  Of course it is a pretty expensive solution (for a free alternative there is bitfocus companion *have not certainty that there is a MIDI extension for the bitfocus companion but there should be it has everything else, like punch a hotkey on a neighboring computer in OBS so why wouldn't it have a MIDI plugin you will have to research that if you want this free option).  I find that with the MIDI plugin to the streamdeck software, it allows me to save as many Prophet banks, groups, presets (in their easily pastable sysex form--of course I had to be proficient in saving these as sysex in MIDI OX first), to a button, and instantly send it thru a reserved routing Network MIDI to the DAW, standard in every DAW template I make, to go thru a record and monitor enabled instrument track (MIDI track) out to the synth where it will drop in a brand new group or bank or preset just like that.  Really not that complicated, set up 1 MIDI button, and copy and paste it into a entire stream deck or bitfocus companion page, and just put different sysex blocks for different presets and names that tell the number and type of sound briefly.  Then you would maybe do a entire 8 preset bank then it will have both the A and B layers in the bank, and you can drop in the set of 8 to the synth and have it based on the sound (1-8) that you want, and vwalla, you have it. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 03:30:50 AM by 558 »
Prophet 10, 0692
Ryzen 3900XT 12/24
Studio One
iPhone 5s Moog Model D via bluetooths of Reface Looper or Xkeys, Arturia Beatstep Pro w/Roland System 1m, Roland JP08, Roland TD17s as drums &->Prophet 10, Oxygen 8v2->Prophet, Akai Adv 25 or Launchey arps->Prophet10 or any all VSTs.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 05:18:32 AM »
Hi -

- Jeff Newton

Did you end up getting the SoundTower editor? Did you find it worked for stacks and splits? Thanks.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 08:49:43 AM »
No stacks or spilts support with the Soundtower Editor. This what Soundtower wrote me:

Unfortunately the STACK mode that was added later to the Prophet 5/10 OS does not have a complete MIDI implementation and therefor we could not implement it in the editor.

Regards,

Mark

SOUNDTOWER

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 11:14:19 AM »
Secondly, the Luke Neptune patches! This sound set truly opened the door for me to split my keyboard all the time!

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 06:06:32 PM »
In addition to stacks and splits, I think the newest firmware also added some other features, such as Q and setting an amount for Q, setting amount for velocity and aftertouch, and maybe a few other items I am forgetting. Does anyone know whether there is an editor librarian program out there that supports all these new features? I’ve heard some good things about Midi Quest. Does anyone know whether they support these features?
Prophet 10 Rev4, OB-X8, Moog One, Rhodes Mk8, Osmose, OB-6 desktop, Trigon 6 Desktop, Kawai VPC-1, Steinway D

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 10:04:33 AM »
In addition to stacks and splits, I think the newest firmware also added some other features, such as Q and setting an amount for Q, setting amount for velocity and aftertouch, and maybe a few other items I am forgetting. Does anyone know whether there is an editor librarian program out there that supports all these new features? I’ve heard some good things about Midi Quest. Does anyone know whether they support these features?

I would not waste money on MidiQuest. I am on the latest version 13. It's like going back to the 90's. Cumbersome, ugly, slow. I downloaded the P10 editor and it does not support stacks or splits.
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.