OB-X8a Wish List

-AJ-

OB-X8a Wish List
« on: June 26, 2023, 03:27:19 PM »
It might be kind of early for this, but having had an OB-X8 for about 9 months, I have a number of things I wish were different, that I think would make it perfect. There could be more, and feel free to add suggestions, but this is what I have so far. It's possible that some of these changes could be made to the OB-X8 in firmware, but not all, so I am personally hoping for an OB-X8a that's like this:

1. Blue stripes and red power button on the front panel, like the Xa/8.

2. A three-way button on the front panel (Master section) to choose between the three Oberheim models. All of the Page 2 options that relate to the OB-X, OB-Xa or OB-8 change when you choose that model.

3. A button or knob in the Filter section to choose between all available filter types, instead of having to go to Page 2.

4. Stereo Width, Pan Mode, and Stereo/Mono Global (renamed "Output") moved to the front panel with buttons or knobs in the Master section.

5. Tempo sync functions like the OB-6/Prophet-6/Trigon-6, for the arpeggiator and LFOs. The ability to choose an exact tempo for the internal clock (and see it on the screen), the ability to choose note subdivisions (8th, dotted 8th, 16th, etc), and the ability to sync the arpeggiator and LFOs to that tempo. Whether this should be all on the panel or some on Page 2 is something I'm not 100% sure about.

6. Knobs for OSC 1/2 Volume and separate Pulse Width in the Oscillators section.

7. Change the Noise and KBD buttons to knobs with a value of 0-127. Combines On/Off and Amount in one control. Add similar knobs to the Control section for Velocity and Aftertouch.

8. When you turn the Frequency knob for an oscillator, show the pitch on the screen.

9. Page 2 panel mode legends printed under the controls for the remaining Page 2 functions, like on the OB-8.

That's what I have for now. With those changes, I think I would be set for life with an OB-X8a. The ability to add voices is another possibility, up to 12 or 16, but I know that would mean a significant price increase, so it's a separate issue.

A lot of these changes are taking things from Page 2 and moving them to the front panel. That would allow Page 2 to be shortened, and menu-diving reduced, with the remaining Page 2 functions moved to the front of the menu. I think they leaned a little too far into making an exact reissue with the X8, and adding those controls to the panel would be a significant usability/quality-of-life improvement.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 03:42:46 PM by -AJ- »

Re: OB-X8a Wish List
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 06:20:51 AM »
At least one of these could be implemented on the current hardware, no? Like the pitch showing on the screen... The PolyBrute does this (sort of) so it's not impossible. Is there an official feature request forum. Great ideas!

-AJ-

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 03:45:40 PM »
At least one of these could be implemented on the current hardware, no? Like the pitch showing on the screen... The PolyBrute does this (sort of) so it's not impossible. Is there an official feature request forum. Great ideas!

5 seems like it should probably be doable in firmware somehow, although it could require a lot of menu diving. 2 and 4 would be the biggest quality of life improvements for me, because those are the first things I adjust every time I make a new program, and having to menu-dive every time is annoying. There’s more than enough room on the panel for some additional controls, and with the OBs, making an exact replica was never possible when you reduce the size of it from the originals and combine all three, so it shouldn’t be a big deal to add some things. I do really want those blue stripes too, though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 03:55:01 PM by -AJ- »

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 04:41:52 PM »
2 and 4 would be the biggest quality of life improvements for me, because those are the first things I adjust every time I make a new program, and having to menu-dive every time is annoying.

That's what templates are for and there is more than enough patch memory for them.

I built templates for OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8 as starting points for my sound design.

-AJ-

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 01:54:42 PM »
2 and 4 would be the biggest quality of life improvements for me, because those are the first things I adjust every time I make a new program, and having to menu-dive every time is annoying.

That's what templates are for and there is more than enough patch memory for them.

I built templates for OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8 as starting points for my sound design.

Yeah, that works for everything except the Global Stereo/Mono output setting. And the expanded User bank leaves more room for it. The problem is that I always end up forgetting and writing over them.

-AJ-

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 04:55:27 AM »
One note: if showing the pitch on the screen requires making the oscillator knob “step” instead of smoothly sweeping, don’t do it.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 05:47:30 AM »
One note: if showing the pitch on the screen requires making the oscillator knob “step” instead of smoothly sweeping, don’t do it.
it could simply be shown as a +/- offset in cents, like it is on Korg stuff. This would allow the resolution to remain the same.

-AJ-

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 08:08:39 PM »
it could simply be shown as a +/- offset in cents, like it is on Korg stuff. This would allow the resolution to remain the same.

That would be good.👍

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 01:20:42 PM »
I just have a small wish, please add "Infinite" at the end of Pedal Release time on page 2, so that it can be set per patch. Now it's only a global setting.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 12:49:58 AM »
1. Polyphonic Aftertouch
2. Some CV ins/outs
3. The ability to expand the polyphony with add-on cards
4. Separate PWM controls for the VCOs
5. Bring some OSC2 page functionality to the front panel
6. Blue stripes
7. Another LFO

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 12:49:27 PM »
1. Polyphonic Aftertouch

RTFM, already there
It receives polyAT from an external MIDI controller.

2. Some CV ins/outs

Egads, this is not a modular
Want to remotely manipulate controls?  They already provided that with MIDI CCs.  RTFM.

Not possible with current hardware.

RTFM, already there

RTFM, most already there

6. Blue stripes

Aftermarket product already available

7. Another LFO

It already has three

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 12:55:40 PM »

Yeah, that works for everything except the Global Stereo/Mono output setting.

RTFM.  Global stereo/mono allows a "per preset" option.

And the expanded User bank leaves more room for it. The problem is that I always end up forgetting and writing over them.

RTFM.  The OB-X8 has a way to check contents of saved patches before overwriting them.

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 03:59:18 PM »

This forum has long been a bit of an oasis of mutual respect and maturity.  There are plenty of other synth forums that incite/encourage ego flexing and pissing contests.  Can we keep the snark over there please, talk synths and play nice?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2023, 06:00:46 PM »

This forum has long been a bit of an oasis of mutual respect and maturity.  There are plenty of other synth forums that incite/encourage ego flexing and pissing contests.  Can we keep the snark over there please, talk synths and play nice?

I have answered their questions.  End of discussion.

chysn

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 06:40:57 PM »
I have answered their questions.  End of discussion.

I hope so, but please see your PM from me.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2023, 05:33:04 AM »
1. Polyphonic Aftertouch

RTFM, already there
It receives polyAT from an external MIDI controller.

2. Some CV ins/outs

Egads, this is not a modular
Want to remotely manipulate controls?  They already provided that with MIDI CCs.  RTFM.

Not possible with current hardware.

RTFM, already there

RTFM, most already there

6. Blue stripes

Aftermarket product already available

7. Another LFO

It already has three

1. I have RTFM and I have decided that I want a PolyAT equipped keyboard.
2. I know that it's not a modular but other synthesizers provide CV ins/outs and I don't care if it has MIDI.
3. A new board might provide this capability.
4. OK
5. I want even more OSC2 page functionality brought to the front panel.
6. I don't care about aftermarket products and yes I know that there is such as product available.
7. I want one more.

These are things that *I* would like to see. If you a problem with that (which apparently you do, given the apparent pissed of repetitive use of the RTFM phrase - as if I was addressing you specifically - or as if a higher power has appointed you specifically to determine the end to a discussion) I would suggest that you seek some kind of help. This is a public forum, where people exchange ideas, post requests, problems, answers whatever. A little courtesty wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 05:37:38 AM by OurDarkness »

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2023, 02:54:31 PM »
Forget about it, nothing is gonna happen. The OB-X8 is the final Oberheim synth in this league and it´s perfect as it is. Enjoy it or buy a Hydrasynth.

g3o2

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2023, 01:12:57 AM »
If split mode had a voice allocation option, that would be great. For example, a voice count parameter ranging from 1:7, 2:6 etc. to 7:1.
Even for layering this could provide interesting scenarios (e.g if just want to enforce a bass note or for just variability), albeit slightly less payable than for split.

Unless there would be physical limitation allowing only a rigid 4:4 voices split, thanks to the daughterboard, this could be easily added via firmware. Considering the variable voice count being available for Unison, I don’t see why there would be a physical limitation though.

LPF83

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2023, 04:08:39 AM »
If split mode had a voice allocation option, that would be great. For example, a voice count parameter ranging from 1:7, 2:6 etc. to 7:1.
Even for layering this could provide interesting scenarios (e.g if just want to enforce a bass note or for just variability), albeit slightly less payable than for split.

Unless there would be physical limitation allowing only a rigid 4:4 voices split, thanks to the daughterboard, this could be easily added via firmware. Considering the variable voice count being available for Unison, I don’t see why there would be a physical limitation though.

I agree this would be a useful feature; I find myself using split mode more often on this synth than any of the other bi-timbral synths I own.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

g3o2

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2023, 03:55:44 AM »
I’ve notified Support about this request. Naturally, I don’t think that I’ve been the first to do so and Oberheim in their reply do seem indeed open to it :-)