Arturia Minifreak

LPF83

Arturia Minifreak
« on: October 18, 2022, 04:48:54 PM »
Hybrid with analog filters for $600?  Hmm...
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Arturia Minifreak
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 07:03:43 AM »
I'll wait for the larger bi timbral version.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 08:11:03 AM »

I can see them releasing one, but doing 61+ keys (because some folks wont be happy with less), then more outputs, then all of the enhancements needed to sequence multis etc. it's going to put it into a different pricing category.  Think difference between Hydrasynth Deluxe and Explorer models... probably more because of analog filters.  And once it gets to a certain price point I wonder is the sound really good enough to justify the space / cost, etc.

From a business strategy standpoint they are probably wise to test the waters with a price point they currently have.

I will also say that I've always hated mini keys but the ones on the Keystep Pro (which I assume has a similar feel) really surprised me.   Normally I compose melodies, chord progressions etc on a full size keyboard, but then sometimes to get them into the sequencer quickly I flip over to the Keystep pro to sequence them in, and I'm often surprised how my fingers are able to adapt to the smaller profile for short periods of time and playing pre-determined riffs.  When I was younger I couldn't play at all on tiny keys.  Maybe the difference is in fishing for new ideas -- that part of my brain likes to start on full size keys.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 01:33:07 PM »

I can see them releasing one, but doing 61+ keys (because some folks wont be happy with less), then more outputs, then all of the enhancements needed to sequence multis etc. it's going to put it into a different pricing category.  Think difference between Hydrasynth Deluxe and Explorer models... probably more because of analog filters.  And once it gets to a certain price point I wonder is the sound really good enough to justify the space / cost, etc.

From a business strategy standpoint they are probably wise to test the waters with a price point they currently have.

I will also say that I've always hated mini keys but the ones on the Keystep Pro (which I assume has a similar feel) really surprised me.   Normally I compose melodies, chord progressions etc on a full size keyboard, but then sometimes to get them into the sequencer quickly I flip over to the Keystep pro to sequence them in, and I'm often surprised how my fingers are able to adapt to the smaller profile for short periods of time and playing pre-determined riffs.  When I was younger I couldn't play at all on tiny keys.  Maybe the difference is in fishing for new ideas -- that part of my brain likes to start on full size keys.

I understand why they are starting with the smaller model first to test the waters. I'm just saying I'll wait for them to do something larger and more advanced before I'll take a serious look at it. Be it next year or never.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 12:23:15 PM »
I understand why they are starting with the smaller model first to test the waters. I'm just saying I'll wait for them to do something larger and more advanced before I'll take a serious look at it. Be it next year or never.

Apparently there is a VST version of it that the hardware owners receive for free.  More than likely Arturia will offer this at some point, and it may be a good way to test the waters if not too expensive.  I doubt it can sound identical to the analog filters of the hardware, but as a reference point could be useful.

Personally, I'm still of the belief that VSTs may never be able to match the true sound (not even to mention the tactile experience) of analog hardware.  Even with the System-8 plugouts, which by all rights should sound identical as plugins and on the hardware, still sound better to me on the hardware.  Some of that could be due to the signal path, but in some cases it's more than that.  The oscillators do not sound the same on the Jupiter 4 plugout as they do on the System 8. VSTs for digital synth sounds and FX still remain an important part of my setup though.