Upgrading to 16 voices from 8 questions

Upgrading to 16 voices from 8 questions
« on: December 27, 2020, 05:06:31 PM »
Hi guys,

an odd question but anyone here upgraded from the 8 voice to 16 and regretted it?

I'm loving my 8 voice but i do also love stacked patches so very interested in getting the extra voices for that.  I have heard some people say that they prefer the 8 voice over the 16, due to it sounding more 'classic' perhaps?  (since most synths would never have anything close to 16 voices, the 8 voice's note stealing gives it that character)

Also wondering does adding the extra 8 voices change anything in the synth.  I've noticed the slight filter bleed you can get when you have the filter cutoff set to zero and wondering would the extra voices increase this bleed?

Finally i assume once you install the extra card you need to perform a full recalibration of the synth?

Thankyou

LPF83

Re: Upgrading to 16 voices from 8 questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 06:08:06 PM »
Hi guys,

an odd question but anyone here upgraded from the 8 voice to 16 and regretted it?

I'm loving my 8 voice but i do also love stacked patches so very interested in getting the extra voices for that.  I have heard some people say that they prefer the 8 voice over the 16, due to it sounding more 'classic' perhaps?  (since most synths would never have anything close to 16 voices, the 8 voice's note stealing gives it that character)

Also wondering does adding the extra 8 voices change anything in the synth.  I've noticed the slight filter bleed you can get when you have the filter cutoff set to zero and wondering would the extra voices increase this bleed?

Finally i assume once you install the extra card you need to perform a full recalibration of the synth?

Thankyou

I bought the 16 voices out of the gate so I cannot comment on installation specifics, but as far as the 8 voice being more classic sounding, that seems little absurd because you can simply not use the second layer if you don't want it.  Personally I think 8 voices is the sweet spot but having 16 voices lets you do creative things like stack / split / pan for stereo etc. or just use it like two separate synths.

Is it possible you've been reading about the Prophet 10 and whether or not it will allow voice limiting for a more classic sound?   That's more about whether the Prophet 10 will be able to effectively reproduce the voice stealing that happens on a Prophet 5, simply because of the overall effect the voice stealing had on so many tracks, a lot of folks would like the option of reproducing the limitation and/or being able to specifically choose 5/6/8/10 voices for various other reasons.

There are cases where long release times can definitely sound different with 8 vs 16 voices, but with all the splitting/layering options of the Rev2 and Prophet 12 it's nothing to give pause over.  The extra 8 voices on the Rev2 are a great value.  Just stack and set layer B volume to 0 if not wanted (most of the time you will though).

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 06:17:10 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Upgrading to 16 voices from 8 questions
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 03:17:14 PM »
Hey thanks for the great reply much appreciated.  Yes I think the discussion of the 8 sounding better to some people than the 16 was with respect to the fact that with the 16 you couldn't restrict the voice stealing back to 8 again.  However your idea about stacking and setting layer b to zero volume is perfect. Didn't think of that.  Overall I think that the difference is gonna be minimal for me and having those extra 8 voices will be amazing for stacking.  Thanks!