Sync problems between two layers

Sync problems between two layers
« on: September 07, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »
Hello there

First if all, please excuse my English if it’s bad, I’m from France, we are worldwidely known for our poor skills in foreign languages.

Here is my problem :

I have big issues syncing the two layers of my Prophet Rev2 (16 voices, v.1.5.9), either in split or stack mode.

For example, if I have a polyseq running on layer A (either playing internal sound or sequencing a external source via MIDI - i tried both), i can’t really play arppeggio synced to it on layer B.

Arp beat sync is on
Both layer are on same tempo. I tried different time divisions. I also tried to save the program after editing, to change to the next patch and come back to it in order to reset the clocks but it still doesn’t work properly.

Tried Midi clock off AND master

Is it normal ?
The polyseq is really practical to sequence minimal beats with pexternal drum machines and it would be nice to be able to play an bass arp perfectly in sync on top of it, especially live.

Anyway, the arpeggio is one of the few weaknesses on this machine, it’s acting strange sometimes (hard to achieve a proper up and down with no repeat per note, for example « boom bam bim bam boom », on three octaves with just one finger), i’m pretty sure it can be easily improved in some future update, among other features awaited for long (Global LFO mode !). But will there ever be another firmware ?

Thank you everyone for your answers, and to all those of you who share tips.

Jean

jg666

Re: Sync problems between two layers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
Hello and welcome :) First of all may I say that your English is excellent - nobody is as bad as us English people at foreign languages!!! My French is very poor.

Are you on the latest version of the firmware? Also do you have Multimode enabled in the Global settings? I've had a few problems with Arps and Sequences in the past and it was because I had accidentally enabled Multimode (I don't require multimode)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:54:41 AM by jg666 »
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 11:37:54 AM »
Hello

Thank you. I'm on the last version (1.1.5.9), and tried both Multimode off and on. The arp is still a bit erratic... Maybe it's the sequencer that resets the clock if you don't press PLAY exactly in time ? Someone from Sequential could confirm this ?

Jean
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:00:37 PM by Lobe »

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 12:15:46 PM »
Two arps on layer A and B seem to work always in good sync TOGETHER, but not always synced to the clock that's flashes on the button. I think there is something with the ARP BEAT SYNC that still doesn't work really well. (Again I'm on 1.1.5.9)

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »
Hi,

did you try to restart your drum machine after you changed the patch? I realized that changing patches while the external clock is running leads to loosing the sync.

Hello

Thank you. I'm on the last version (1.1.5.9), and tried both Multimode off and on. The arp is still a bit erratic... Maybe it's the sequencer that resets the clock if you don't press PLAY exactly in time ? Someone from Sequential could confirm this ?

Jean

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 01:44:26 PM »
Hi Camillomuc

Thanks for your anwer.
This can’t be the problem (my drum device has no clock IN or OUT, it’s a nord drum 2 sequenced with MIDI notes by the Prophet), as it works equally bad when i’m sequencing the Rev2 itself. The arp on layer B is still not synced everytime. Even with no MIDI or USB cable plugged (I tried most configs and settings).

This could be fixed with a «same clock for both layers » or « seq beat sync » option, depending on what is the source of the problem.

I guess most users use the same tempo per program anyway, only changing subdivisions between layers.

The Rev2 is a nice synth with great sound and possibilities, but there is still something unstable in it. I hope that Sequential will continue to update, as i was planning on making the REv2 my main studio/stage polysynth. With all those annoying bugs fixed, it could be the most versatile analog synth ever.

Sorry to be that long !

Jean

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 07:16:22 AM »
This thread reminded me how frustrating it is to get the arp to sync to a daw. I spoke the sequential again yesterday and they confirmed what I have long suspected. When slaved, the rev2’s arp/sequencer/lfos (anything beat synced) look for a MIDI start message to know where the first bar begins and will only sync properly if they receive that message. Problem is, lots of DAWs (Pro Tools in my case) only send a MIDI start message from the beginning of their timeline (bar 1). If you start playback anywhere else in the timeline, the DAW sends a MIDI continue message, which the rev2 ignores and then the rev2’s clock isn’t in sync with the incoming clock signal. It’ll run at the right tempo, it just won’t sync with the beats.

Does anyone know of a way to force Pro Tools to send a MIDI start message when playback begins? Even a MIDI region contains the message that I could move around the timeline as needed would work, but I don’t know how to go about making this region. Or, some sort of software or hardware that converts MIDI continue to MIDI start would rule. Thx!

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 04:50:16 AM »
I don’t really need to sync the arp in midi, my problem is purely internal, i want an arp on layer B synced to a polyseq on layer A, or vice versa.

I will write to Sequential. Hope they can help me.

Jean