Wheel mod issue

Wheel mod issue
« on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:53 AM »
I'm facing an issue with the wheel mod.
Say I have LFO1 set to 0 for the frequency and mapped to CUTOFF.
When I turn the LFO1 FREQUENCY knob from 0 to 127 I can clearly hear the effect up to quasi ring mod.

If I now map the Wheel Mod to modulate the LFO1 FREQUENCY (left to 0) with amount 127; when I move up the wheel I would expect the same result as turning the LFO1 FREQUENCY button. But what I hear is a continuous sound after the wheel is up 90% its course.

I tried to calibrate the wheel but as already mentioned in a former thread, I see no difference when calibrating.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Wonder if that is soft or hardware issue...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:34:58 AM by Tugdual »

Re: Wheel mod issue
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »
Same here.
I think it has to do with the fact that the mod matrix is bipolar.
The frequency knob of the the LFO imparts a negative offset starting from value 24 and below.
And even then, the mod wheel doesn't push the LFO frequency as high as the dedicated LFO frequency knob can.

While checking this, I think I've discovered a bug in the Mod Matrix, when setting 2 identical mod slots (to add them up together to get an increased range) the frequency of the LFO resets itself to 0 when passed a certain point, instead of keeping going up in speed until reaching the maximum... Bizarre.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:03:17 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »
Thanks Hubert. In the mean time I found something else: the LFO frequency goes from 0 to 150 while the wheel mod goes from 0 to 127. You would think that 127 is 100% of the modulation but in reality 127 is the exact value hence the max effect is 127/150 = 85%.
Very weird design choice... and I'm pretty sure this will never change since that would affect all existing patches  :-\

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
Thanks Hubert. In the mean time I found something else: the LFO frequency goes from 0 to 150 while the wheel mod goes from 0 to 127. You would think that 127 is 100% of the modulation but in reality 127 is the exact value hence the max effect is 127/150 = 85%.
Very weird design choice... and I'm pretty sure this will never change since that would affect all existing patches  :-\

Probably a P08 bug that never got fixed, and was "inherited" by the REV2 since it's supposed to be backwards compatible...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 07:33:08 AM »
Probably a P08 bug that never got fixed, and was "inherited" by the REV2 since it's supposed to be backwards compatible...
Possibly. But since the modulation is obviously an addition and not multiplication nothing prevents the modulator to go up to the max modulated value and that would remain backward compatible.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:54:14 PM »
Possibly. But since the modulation is obviously an addition and not multiplication nothing prevents the modulator to go up to the max modulated value and that would remain backward compatible.
My bad Mod wheel is CC hence cannot exceed 127. Damned old midi standard.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 06:18:51 AM »
My bad Mod wheel is CC hence cannot exceed 127. Damned old midi standard.

As I've mentioned earlier, using 2 mod slots in the mod matrix (to add them up together) you can get a wider modulation wheel range than 127.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340