Just when I thought I knew all of the tricks the Rev2 had to offer...

Super stoked. I've been uncovering some sounds I didn't think my Rev2 was capable of. I've gotten pretty deep into the modulations/features in the past but at some point made up my mind that the Rev2 was only good for certain sounds and that I still wanted something beefy and gnarly for the stuff I "Couldn't" pull out of the Rev2.

I spent a couple of weeks with an MS-20 mini and that was basically drone heaven but I decided to sell it because I just didn't see a permanent place in my setup do to how noisy it was. (I had big plans on using it as a processing box but my unit was especially noisy.)

Anyways, after giving up to MS-20 I came back to the rev2 wanting to pull some more ballsy sounds out of it and after some experimenting I've found dimensions I didn't believe were possible on this thing!

These are really just tonal demos here but they hopefully show a side of the Rev2 you may not have seen before. I've been getting much thicker sounds than ever with some careful audio rate modulation of the 2 pole filter and fine tuning of the OSC.

No internal or external effects used. And again, these are more of tonal demos. Probably not super musical, but I like noise.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Just when I thought I knew all of the tricks the Rev2 had to offer...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
Yep... you can get rather wicked sounds from it, you just have to hit the sweetspots :) ... often I find that Audio Mod + High Resonance + Filter Keytrack 64 can give some unexpected timbres ... add on the FX Hipass Filter, and modulate it's cutoff via the mod matrix using key note as well... when all the frequencies hit the same frequencies you can distort the hell out of the REV2... it's just about experimenting away :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »
Hell yeah PhilroyJ those sounds are gnar raaaaad!!  Super sick keep em coming! 

I dunno why anyone knocks the Rev2 it’s ridiculous tbh, we make dark music and we love squelchy distorted riffs and we coax all of it out of the Rev2, along with all the sweet soft melodic paddy friends too! 

Razmo your patches kick mad butts as well!  I dig the Little Mermaid 🧜‍♀️ patch!!

Viva la Rev2 para siempre!!!!  Ayyye ayyyee!!
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 12:00:05 AM »
There will always be haters... People have different preferences... People can diss away if they want to, I know what I like and no comment on the REV2 will change that anyway.

Sure, the REV2 has it's limits, quirks and stuff that it does not do, but no synth does all, and if it did, I'd be bored with it... I like to have to work with limitations and see what I can coax out of a synth I did not think I could... It's a rewarding feeling actually, and in most cases, those sound you have worked hardest on, are also those that will sound unique and be impossible to recreate on any other synth no matter how expensive.

If I feel my synth lacks a certain character or feature or synthesis type, I'll just get one that will complement... It's a no brainer really.

Sure the Curtis chip has limitations... It lacks individual volume control of the oscillators, prefilter drive and more filter types, but all the other features of the engine, voicecount and FX engine outweighs the lack of these shortcomings... Some people find that only the VCF/VCO/VCA matters, and that the modulation do not count... I highly disagree with that... One person tried to convince me that a model D is much more versatile... That is BS really... The D will not even get close to the sounds I'm doing on the REV2... It's monophonic, has no mod matrix and the FX plus engine depth to create these types of sounds... Sure a D sounds nice... But it just sound different.

Those kinds of debates are pointless, so I simply ignore them... If the REV2 is good enough for you, it' good enough, period! 😎
If you need me, follow the shadows...