New layer feature in V1.1.4.9

New layer feature in V1.1.4.9
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
Hi guys,

Maybe I have missed it in the forum, so please excuse, but what is the meaning of the new feature "Save Layer A + B Edit Layer B mode global"? Thanks!
DSI Prophet Rev2

Re: New layer feature in V1.1.4.9
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
Hi guys,

Maybe I have missed it in the forum, so please excuse, but what is the meaning of the new feature "Save Layer A + B Edit Layer B mode global"? Thanks!

This allows you to save the state of the Edit Layer B button when it's set to edit both layers of a stacked/split patch simultaneously from the front panel. This is the blinking state of the button--engaged when it's pressed and held. The new Global determines whether or not this state is saved with the program.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick response! Interesting function  :)
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
No problem! It was requested mostly by live performers. It's handy during performance to have a stacked/split patch set up this way so you can change programs quickly and get to business when you need to edit both layers simultaneously, without the extra step of holding Edit Layer B until it blinks.
SEQUENTIAL

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:43:52 PM »
Hi guys,

This allows you to save the state of the Edit Layer B button when it's set to edit both layers of a stacked/split patch simultaneously from the front panel. This is the blinking state of the button--engaged when it's pressed and held. The new Global determines whether or not this state is saved with the program.

If this state is saved with a program, then there must be a byte in the SysEx dump that designates this state? ... in that case, are there any NRPN for changing this state from an editor?
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »
Just forget about my above post... I found the NRPN myself, and located the byte in the SysEx structure :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »
Yes, Save Edit B  = NRPN 4126

This will be added to the documentation when we reach a release version.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 01:08:22 AM »
Very happy that this option is added. Indeed, as a live player, it is very useful to have direct access to a either the lower or the upper layer.

A bit after the fact now, but last week, I suggested another solution to achieve the same goal in feature requests:
Allow to let A be active at the UPPER part of the keyboard and B be the LOWER part of the keyboard. This would not only have the the effect that you can directly edit the upper layer at preset selection, it would also add another utility: To be able to have a typical right-hand sound in a preset where split is not activated, to which you can add the *lower* layer for your left hand (Layer B) by simply pressing SPLIT. (So I can save a nice preset with and without basepart easily in one preset)

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
Very happy that this option is added. Indeed, as a live player, it is very useful to have direct access to a either the lower or the upper layer.

A bit after the fact now, but last week, I suggested another solution to achieve the same goal in feature requests:
Allow to let A be active at the UPPER part of the keyboard and B be the LOWER part of the keyboard. This would not only have the the effect that you can directly edit the upper layer at preset selection, it would also add another utility: To be able to have a typical right-hand sound in a preset where split is not activated, to which you can add the *lower* layer for your left hand (Layer B) by simply pressing SPLIT. (So I can save a nice preset with and without basepart easily in one preset)

We already have the ability to swap layers in the Prophet Rev2. See page 8 in the manual: https://2048ln27dggo3horm847q86q-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Prophet-Rev2-Users-Guide-1.1.2.pdf

To do what you're requesting, you can simply swap layers and save the program, or keep two versions of the program, one with each layer configuration.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 03:40:23 PM »
We already have the ability to swap layers in the Prophet Rev2. See page 8 in the manual: https://2048ln27dggo3horm847q86q-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Prophet-Rev2-Users-Guide-1.1.2.pdf

To do what you're requesting, you can simply swap layers and save the program, or keep two versions of the program, one with each layer configuration.

Sorry, it is a bit confusing or I might be expressing myself badly, but what you are referring to does something else than what I meant. The existing swap possibility allows you to move the sound of the lower layer (A layer) to the upper layer (B layer) and vice versa. What I would like is that the lower layer gets the "status" of B layer and the upper layer the "status" of the A layer in the sense that disabling split will leave you with the *upper* patch. An example of what I would like to be able to do:

I have a cool spacey piano sound on the upper part of the keyboard and a nice roaring bass sound on the lower part. If this piano on the upper part has status A, I can play it over the entire keyboard by disabling the split. So, I have *one* preset that I can use both 1) when I need the space piano *and* the bass and 2) when I want the full keyboard for the piano sound. Having two presets with the two versions would of course be possible, but if I then make a tweak to my piano, I have to copy that tweak to the other preset, which really is a hassle.

Again, having the upper part with the "status" of A would also allow me to directly edit the upper layer when selecting a preset.

maxter

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »
You could accomplish this by the push of a button, the Edit Layer B button, which selects Layer B. You have to press the Split button to go to from split to single mode anyway, just press the Edit Layer B button after that. Or, with a later OS version (can't recall which one fixes it), you could save the patch with the Edit Layer B button already selected, but I'm on 1.1.4.5, so I can't really verify that. But the feature has been added somewhere along the line (if I recall correctly), so in a future "Main" OS version it should be possible.

-Just re-read the thread and realized that's what it was about to begin... So OS 1.1.4.9 and up should have this function?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:22:59 AM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 04:35:36 AM »
Thanks, maxter! For some or another reason, I did not come up with that solution, which indeed is not much effort.  I am rather new to the prophet and still have to get used to the logic of the preset interface. I come from Nord Lead A1, which has a completely different logic.