Different NRPNs with OS 1.1.4.4, anyone know why? [SOLVED]

maxter

Different NRPNs with OS 1.1.4.4, anyone know why? [SOLVED]
« on: July 01, 2018, 01:15:07 AM »
So I updated the Rev2 to OS 1.1.4.4 last night, and to my surprise the editor I've made for iPad didn't work any longer. When checking what was going on with a midi monitor, I noticed that almost all of the NRPN's had changed to different numbers.  >:( Does anyone know what's up with this?

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the encoders work now on 1.1.4.4, but if it means I have to redo my entire iPad editor, I'd rather stick with the previous OS, it's just too much tedious work to make it work with the entirely new NRPNs, as it would take several days. And I was just about to finish the editor!  :'(

Does anyone know of any specific reason for this change of NRPNs? As is, they don't match the manual, and I can't figure any reason for this change. Has anyone encountered problems with the PC editor on the new OS?

Why oh why, DSI?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:59:43 AM by extempo »
The Way the Truth and the Life

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Different NRPNs with OS 1.1.4.4, anyone know why?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 01:23:09 AM »
So I updated the Rev2 to OS 1.1.4.4 last night, and to my surprise the editor I've made for iPad didn't work any longer. When checking what was going on with a midi monitor, I noticed that almost all of the NRPN's had changed to different numbers.  >:( Does anyone know what's up with this?

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the encoders work now on 1.1.4.4, but if it means I have to redo my entire iPad editor, I'd rather stick with the previous OS, it's just too much tedious work to make it work with the entirely new NRPNs, as it would take several days. And I was just about to finish the editor!  :'(

Does anyone know of any specific reason for this change of NRPNs? As is, they don't match the manual, and I can't figure any reason for this change. Has anyone encountered problems with the PC editor on the new OS?

Why oh why, DSI?

I use NRPN for my own editor as well, and it works fine... I've not changed the NRPN's, so your problem must be somewhere else.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

maxter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 01:59:19 AM »
Weird... I was previously on OS 1.1.0.3, which worked great. Then with OS 1.1.4.4 the NRPNs changed, so now I reverted to OS 1.1.3, and NRPNs were back to normal. After updating to 1.1.4.4 after this, the NRPNs are off again, to the same numbers as last time it was installed. I've tried updating it to OS 1.1.4.4 several times now, and the problem remains the same. There's no indication of anything going wrong with the update. So I really do think OS 1.1.4.4 is the cause, but if it's something else causing this, what could it be? I haven't got a clue.

I will, again, revert back to 1.1.3 and stay with it until this issue is resolved. I don't see anything else I can do about this.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 02:51:54 AM »
Weird... I was previously on OS 1.1.0.3, which worked great. Then with OS 1.1.4.4 the NRPNs changed, so now I reverted to OS 1.1.3, and NRPNs were back to normal. After updating to 1.1.4.4 after this, the NRPNs are off again, to the same numbers as last time it was installed. I've tried updating it to OS 1.1.4.4 several times now, and the problem remains the same. There's no indication of anything going wrong with the update. So I really do think OS 1.1.4.4 is the cause, but if it's something else causing this, what could it be? I haven't got a clue.

I will, again, revert back to 1.1.3 and stay with it until this issue is resolved. I don't see anything else I can do about this.

Is it all NRPN's you're having trouble with, or just some? if some, then give me a few examples and I'll see if the same happens with my editor... but I doubt it because i created a preset from scratch in my editor after the upgrade to the latest beta, and had no problems at all... i did not change any NRPNs, and my editor is sending out NRPNs to make live edits... I think I would have noticed something if they changed :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

MPM

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 04:40:59 AM »
Is anyone having SoundTower editor problems with this update?
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

maxter

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 10:38:21 AM »
Thanks a lot for helping out Razmo! Well, I only scratched the surface, so to speak, I didn't test all of them as mostly anything I tried seemed to be off. The filter pole mode button still worked though, but other than that anything I tested did not.

On OS 1.1.3, as in the manual, the NRPN for filter cutoff is 0/15, and 16/15 (Layer B), but on OS 1.1.4.4 the NRPN is 8/124 and 24/124, so they're evenly offset it seems. Filter resonance is 8/125 and 24/125 respectively, on OS 1.1.4.4. These are the NRPNs being sent FROM the Rev2, as shown by midi monitoring. I'm now on OS 1.1.3 instead, which works great, other than the fiddly encoders. I hope we can get the best of both worlds eventually.

MPM - Good question, that's something I'd also like to know. Are you having problems with it yourself, btw?

jg666

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
I have the Soundtower software but haven’t updated to the new firmware version yet. I should get around to it in a couple of days time so I can check it as well.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »
I have the Soundtower software but haven’t updated to the new firmware version yet. I should get around to it in a couple of days time so I can check it as well.

Codeknobs still works fine

MPM

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 01:19:44 AM »
MPM - Good question, that's something I'd also like to know. Are you having problems with it yourself, btw?

No, I haven't tried it yet. Still haven't updated. 
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

maxter

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 02:09:16 AM »
Okay, so after updating the Rev2 to OS 1.1.4.4 again, the MIDI NRPNs were still off, so I decided to check back here on the forum... saw that the new os 1.1.4.5 was out, downloaded and updated the Rev2, and YES! -it seems NRPNs are now back to normal with the latest OS. I haven’t surfed through all of the parameters however, but it does seem this problem is now solved.

This made me curious though, did DSI fix this bug intentionally and separately without mention, or could it be that the transpose LED-bug is somehow related to the NRPN-bug? Doesn’t really matter to me, I’m just thrilled that it now works and the encoders are fixed! Woohoo!   ;D

If a moderator would like to add ”solved” to this thread, please feel free to do so!

Thanks to everyone here on the forum for helping out, and to DSI for fixing the bug!

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »
It's odd that you were experiencing this problem. Nothing changed in the code surrounding the NRPN assignments, so my suspicion is that the problem was elsewhere in your setup. But in any case, I'm glad you're back in business now. I'll mark this thread as solved.
SEQUENTIAL

maxter

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »
It's odd that you were experiencing this problem. Nothing changed in the code surrounding the NRPN assignments, so my suspicion is that the problem was elsewhere in your setup. But in any case, I'm glad you're back in business now. I'll mark this thread as solved.

Thanks!
 I must say though, there was practically nothing else in my setup. ONLY Rev2 MIDI out into a midi monitor. The same results on either my iPad or PC midi monitor, only one connected at a time, with nothing else before, after or in between. Only one MIDI cable used and plugged in at a time. When updating there was nothing connected except MIDI-OX to Rev2 MIDI in. I did this update a bunch of times, sometimes downdating to 1.1.3 in between, everytime yielding the same result. NRPN's on 1.1.3 were always normal, on 1.1.4.4 always offset to the exact same numbers that I've mentioned previously.

Nothing seemed wrong or abnormal when doing the update, everything seemed like it should, except afterwards the NRPNs were off. I tried to power cycle, resetting global parameters, calibrating filters and oscillators, in different order each time to see if something would eventually make a difference. And, again, I had only one MIDI cable connected, and nothing else. I never had a problem updating the Prophet '08 in the same manner. So yes, it is VERY odd, and I was beginning to suspect something with the actual hardware of the Rev2, since nobody else seemed to have this problem. I have one oscillator out of the eight that, when using slop, always is more offset than the rest, it is quite noticeable when cycling through the oscillators with high slop values, no matter if I calibrate the oscs. But other than that it has seemed fine until I encountered this very odd behavior of NRPNs on 1.1.4.4

So I'm pretty sure it was nothing elsewhere in my setup, as there was nothing else. But now I'm just glad that 1.1.4.5 was released so quickly, so that this problem hasn't bothered me too much.

I absolutely love the Rev2 though, it's such a fantastic and capable synth!

Thanks again!