How to make Super Saw?

How to make Super Saw?
« on: March 21, 2018, 01:32:54 AM »

Hello it's me your friendly neighborhood Synth noob back with another question. I'm getting good and friendly with my Rev 2. Made a lot of cool sounds with it  8) I'm trying to dig into it deeper and get some crazy 80's like strings. I also own a Roland Gaia and it has super saw waves so I can layer 2 or even 3 super saws together if I want and get some cool strings. I'm trying to figure out how to do the same on the Rev 2. I'm having some trouble figuring out how to even make 1 super saw any tips or advice?

Re: How to make Super Saw?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:21:07 AM »
 A Super Saw sound is just layers of Saw wave forms detuned. So turn on unison and unison detune or oscillator slop. Simple. Works with all the wave forms btw. Super Pulse, Super Triangle etc. If you need to play chords then turn unison off and detune those oscillators. Modulate Osc Slop, add differing amounts of Freq mod to all the oscillators, use the chorus effect, record the part with multiple takes and slightly detune the sound for each take.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
A Super Saw sound is just layers of Saw wave forms detuned. So turn on unison and unison detune or oscillator slop. Simple. Works with all the wave forms btw. Super Pulse, Super Triangle etc. If you need to play chords then turn unison off and detune those oscillators. Modulate Osc Slop, add differing amounts of Freq mod to all the oscillators, use the chorus effect, record the part with multiple takes and slightly detune the sound for each take.

Well just to give you an idea of what I mean there's the Gaia Super Saws it gives a nice full lush sound. Although not shown so much in that example you can get some really dreamy strings like in this video using the saws https://youtu.be/8JA80mPoWQk?t=1m37s it's the Jan Hammer Miami vice strings. I wanted to see if I could recreate that sound on the Prophet Rev 2. Surprisingly I'm finding I can do a lot of Prophet Sounds on my Gaia but I've ran into a problem now where I seem to need more than 1 Super Saw. On the Gaia you can play Super saws per note like any other sounds it's a wave selection feature just like the Oscillators on the Rev 2 so you can layer up to 3 Supersaws and play chords run them in unison etc add effects to all of them etc. So far the only way I know to get a Supersaw is with stacking notes and selecting 16 in unison but that maxes out the keys but we are talking 64 voices vs 16 voices so I'm trying to figure out a way to get that sound with the 16 we have on the Prophet. Sometimes I laugh when it comes to gear. The Gaia is so slept on but it's capable of sounds you would never expect a $600 synth to do.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
I have the Integra 7 and use to have the JD-Xi so I know the Roland Super Saw sounds very well. The Roland synths are using samples. Those samples were created by doing what I described above. The Rev2 isn't using samples. With the Rev2 you'll need to create those sounds from scratch.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »
I have the Integra 7 and use to have the JD-Xi so I know the Roland Super Saw sounds very well. The Roland synths are using samples. Those samples were created by doing what I described above. The Rev2 isn't using samples. With the Rev2 you'll need to create those sounds from scratch.

I get what you're saying but it's different from the I7 and JD-Xi it's an SH series synth https://www.sequencer.de/roland/roland_SH-synthesizer.html it's actually the SH01 I think it's the first digital version since the others were analog but Roland gave the Virtual Analog tech to the Boutique SH and called it SH01a after the original SH101 and as a followup to the SH01 and added in 4 voices of poly. It doesn't have any sounds on it's own it just uses DSP instead of analog. So you have to build your patches like on any synth https://www.roland.com/global/products/gaia_synthesizer_sound_designer/. It has super saws because it has 64 voices to layer it's digital saw waves with. So it becomes a limit of analog.  I guess I have to figure out a way to get close to that sound using the prophets 16. I just want to make soft synth patch like that on the prophet that's the goal.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:08:20 PM »
This blog post shows you how Roland does it:
http://www.ghostfact.com/jp-8000-supersaw/

On the Rev 2 you'll need to do what Chimponaut suggests if monophonic is OK. If you want poly, I'd suggest stacking voices where both patch A and patch B are pretty much the same but with all 4 oscillators detuned close to what the blog above describes. If you blend in the subs that's 6 oscillators, 4 of which are detuned. Then you can bandpass filter the 2 patches slightly differently to add to the richness. Finally you can add in a delay with the shortest time possible and no feedback to add the impression of yet another oscillator and use an LFO to modulate time slightly to give it a bit of detune.