Arturia MatrixBrute

Re: Arturia MatrixBrute
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2016, 01:36:26 PM »
Okay, this one contains more audio examples: https://youtu.be/ru2quYHKXp4?t=5m53s

I'm not impressed, but I think at this point I may just be biased against the brand.  So take that with a grain of salt.  But to me, it just doesn't sound like a 3 VCO synth.

My 2˘

Weird, isn't it? I think the same without any bias against the brand.

chysn

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »
Okay, this one contains more audio examples: https://youtu.be/ru2quYHKXp4?t=5m53s

I'm not impressed, but I think at this point I may just be biased against the brand.  So take that with a grain of salt.  But to me, it just doesn't sound like a 3 VCO synth.

My 2˘

I think the same with a bias in favor of the brand. It sounds like a MicroBrute, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when it's a $300 instrument; but it's Voyager territory this close to the sun.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2016, 02:38:02 PM »

My 2˘

I think the same with a bias in favor of the brand. It sounds like a MicroBrute, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when it's a $300 instrument; but it's Voyager territory this close to the sun.

Chysn and Paul, you guys just made me laugh.  And confirmed my bias at the same time!!! 

Thank you both!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2016, 10:31:13 PM »
That last video is awful as well, I think we need to see a video from someone with some taste!

Shaw

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2016, 05:51:59 AM »
That last video is awful as well, I think we need to see a video from someone with some taste!

Finally... Someone with some taste!   http://bit.ly/1Uhdk1S
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2016, 04:47:29 PM »
Oops!  That link is to Dave's introduction to the Prophet 6.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:22:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
Oops!  That link it to Dave's introduction to the Prophet 6.

Yes, it was.   ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »
Oh, sorry.  I thought it was by accident.  So, what's your point?  I'd agree, that's an excellent brief introduction to the Prophet-6.

Shaw

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2016, 07:02:27 PM »
Oh, sorry.  I thought it was by accident.  So, what's your point?  I'd agree, that's an excellent brief introduction to the Prophet-6.

The point is: there are folks out there who know how to do a damned good demo of of a synth.

Amos from Moog is another.

Katsunori Ujiie is yet another.... His are so good that you can follow along without speaking Japanese.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2016, 09:34:10 AM »
Gotcha.  I'd add that one important quality in an instrument demo is succinctness.  I can't stand having to listen to someone blather on and on about every little thing.  I prefer minimal talk and maximum use of the instrument - yet, even then, not for too long.  I'd say ten to fifteen minutes is right.

Shaw

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
Gotcha.  I'd add that one important quality in an instrument demo is succinctness.  I can't stand having to listen to someone blather on and on about every little thing.  I prefer minimal talk and maximum use of the instrument - yet, even then, not for too long.  I'd say ten to fifteen minutes is right.

Totally agree.  Notice that in 4 minutes 45 seconds, Dave tells you everything you need to know about the Prophet 6 AND gives you some great sounding examples.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
I also think Dave's introduction to the Prophet 12 is still one of the best demos of it.  Even his selection of sounds is excellent.

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2016, 11:30:16 AM »
… AND gives you some great sounding examples.

That's Peter Dyer.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2016, 11:45:58 AM »
Yes, on the P-6 video.  But the P-12 videos are all Dave.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:52:24 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
Yes, on the P-6 video.  But the P-12 one is all Dave.

Regardless of who it is, the point is that DSI, as a company, produced an succinct, informative product video.

So far, Arturia, as a company, hasn't produced anything close to what would be required to make me want to part with some cash.  Could be the product.  Could be the video.  Regardless, it's the company.

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »
Regardless of who it is, the point is that DSI, as a company, produced an succinct, informative product video.

So far, Arturia, as a company, hasn't produced anything close to what would be required to make me want to part with some cash.  Could be the product.  Could be the video.  Regardless, it's the company.

Well, to be fair: There hasn't been an official video from Arturia yet, you could compare the DSI video to. There only has been a teaser that had been released around Winter NAMM and which doesn't quite count as the instrument was still unfinished.

Shaw

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »

Well, to be fair: There hasn't been an official video from Arturia yet, you could compare the DSI video to. There only has been a teaser that had been released around Winter NAMM and which doesn't quite count as the instrument was still unfinished.

Hmm... wasn't Dave's videos of the P6 and P12 the first to show / demonstrate / tease the products? 

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2016, 12:37:51 PM »

Hmm... wasn't Dave's videos of the P6 and P12 the first to show / demonstrate / tease the products?

Yes, but you are comparing apples to oranges if you juxtapose it with Arturia's teaser from January. Take a look at their video about the Synclavier plug-in. That's the kind of format that fits your category. I'm sure they'll do a comparable video for the MatrixBrute as well, once they know for sure when to release it.

Shaw

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »

Yeah, I should have said that another way...  If your product isn't ready for a rock star demonstration, don't do demonstrations.  First Impressions.

So compare the Arturia's willingness to do demonstrations with a product that isn't ready (or perhaps its the demonstrator who isn't ready, but regardless, my point is the same) versus DSI's choosing to wait until they have the product they want to demo ready for the first impression they want to create.

These types of choices are demonstrative of the mindset in a company that effects everything Design to Marketing to Manufacturing.  It's rush to market vs careful product development.  And this is why DSI, Moog and Oberheim have always made quality gear.

Yes, but you are comparing apples to oranges if you juxtapose it with Arturia's teaser from January. Take a look at their video about the Synclavier plug-in. That's the kind of format that fits your category. I'm sure they'll do a comparable video for the MatrixBrute as well, once they know for sure when to release it.

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
Yeah, I should have said that another way...  If your product isn't ready for a rock star demonstration, don't do demonstrations.  First Impressions.

So compare the Arturia's willingness to do demonstrations with a product that isn't ready (or perhaps its the demonstrator who isn't ready, but regardless, my point is the same) versus DSI's choosing to wait until they have the product they want to demo ready for the first impression they want to create.

These types of choices are demonstrative of the mindset in a company that effects everything Design to Marketing to Manufacturing.  It's rush to market vs careful product development.  And this is why DSI, Moog and Oberheim have always made quality gear.

There are industry rules. One is: Have something to show at Winter NAMM, which is what they did. Plus: they were not as far into the development process as DSI were when they announced the Prophet 12 or the Prophet-6. One can regret that, but that doesn't change anything about the pressure to come up with something at NAMM. It's not that the Prophet-5 was a fully working unit when it was introduced at NAMM in 1978 - it barely made it so to speak. And there are dozens of these examples, especially when a company does something for the first time, and this is the first time, Arturia plan to release a hardware synth of this size.

Oberheim presented the Eurorack SEMs at Winter NAMM 2015 and 2016. Both times with different designs, both times with different outlooks about the prospective module line-up (the first time, it was mentioned that there are going to be four modules, the second time only two modules were announced).

Plus: I'm sure that a company that's developing a synthesizer on the scale of a MatrixBrute will eventually also produce according marketing materials once it's release date is set. It's also not that they made a secret out of not being fully done yet.

As for the quality: No one can assume anything yet with regard to the MatrixBrute. All I've heard from the few people who actually saw one in person is that the build quality appeared to be sturdy. Everything beyond that is pure speculation currently.