Trying to decide the best digital synth.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Trying to decide the best digital synth.
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
LoboLives, did we mention the Novation Peak?  That seems like a decent middle-of-the-road digital synthesizer.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:48:37 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »
LoboLives, did we mention the Novation Peak?  That seems like a decent middle-of-the-road digital synthesizer.

Not interested in modules and I actually haven’t enjoyed the sounds I’ve heard out of it

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2017, 12:15:16 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what's so unique about the Solaris, especially for the price & considering the amazing analog synths you have... It just sounds like a fairly decent ten year old emulation machine.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »
Also from the standpoint that you're most concerned with, it's main basis is the Prophet VS and Waldorf Microwave, correct? Aside from the VS' innovative vector synthesis, neither were exactly anything to write home about imo.

LoboLives

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what's so unique about the Solaris, especially for the price & considering the amazing analog synths you have... It just sounds like a fairly decent ten year old emulation machine.

It does have a unique sound to my ears. Something I can't really explain. I asked this question in a Facebook group and was directed to a gentleman by the name of Ty Unwyn who actually has the Solaris, Sledge, Prophet 12 and Montage. He said the Solaris would be his choice every single time. He said it's hard to explain as well. Of course it can duplicate or mimic analog but he said that you would be doing a disservice to yourself if you are simply using it as a Prophet 5 or Oberheim emulation. The VS sounds and Wavetable sounds are on the right track and he said that once the Solaris starts to get into that territory you will start finding it has it's own voice that goes beyond emulation.

My mindset has always been have each synth do it's own thing and play to it's strengths. The Tempest does it's own thing, the Moog does it's own thing, the Prophet does it's and the Oberheim does it's own and the Kurzweil does it's own. Much like an orchestra. Each instrument is played as part of a larger composition. The Solaris (much like the Schmidt) I find is being robbed of exposure simply because people are using it as a virtual analog only as opposed experimenting with it and finding it's own sound. With everything on the front panel it begs to be experimented with and yet there's almost no menu diving. Using the Rotors, the VS waves, Wavetables, and even userwaves and trying to find the Solaris' own voice to be used alongside my Prophet, Moog, Oberheim, Tempest, Kurzweil.

But like I said the lack of multitimbrality on it may be a bit of an annoyance and next NAMM DSI may very bring out a synth with VS capabilities...or they might not.

LoboLives

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
Also from the standpoint that you're most concerned with, it's main basis is the Prophet VS and Waldorf Microwave, correct? Aside from the VS' innovative vector synthesis, neither were exactly anything to write home about imo.

We do not agree. :)

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2017, 08:06:31 PM »

Both had analogue (Curtis) filter ICs, which frankly is a requirement for any vintage digital / hybrid unit.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »

Both had analogue (Curtis) filter ICs, which frankly is a requirement for any vintage digital / hybrid unit.

Although the Solaris doesn't have an analog filter it does have a plethora of different types of filters I believe including a VA version of the Curtis filter.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2017, 11:44:39 PM »

Wow, the Microwave nothing to write home about....I guess each to their own.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »
I asked this question in a Facebook group and was directed to a gentleman by the name of Ty Unwyn who actually has the Solaris, Sledge, Prophet 12 and Montage.

Ty can't really be used as a practical reference. He has an insane studio and will buy pretty much every variation of a theme he can get his mitts on. Plus he might likely be basing that off of not knowing your situation and mean that it's the one he'd choose if he could only have one. Though the Montage for example won't fulfill your need for exotic instruments that you can showboat around, it will sonically fill a much larger gap in your repertoire.

That said, I'm not here to tell you what to buy. Just pointing things out that might be overlooked on these types of forums.

« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »

Although the Solaris doesn't have an analog filter it does have a plethora of different types of filters I believe including a VA version of the Curtis filter.

IMHO it's not the same; in context, however, you might not notice a difference. It just depends on your expectations; at that price, I desire creamy analogue goodness somewhere in the chain (Modal 002, Prophet-12 / Pro-2, Microwave I, Emax SE, Prophet 2000, etc.). It allows one to dial back the glassiness or grit from the digital front end, which may be desirable or not depending on the sound.

I drank the Creamware Kool-Aid some time ago, and left with a bitter taste in my mouth as support dropped off the face of the planet and I attempted to sell off a few SCOPE DSP cards (eventually at a loss), so I tend to be a bit skeptical. Don't mind me. :)

I suspect that this might be part of the reason as to why there are a limited number of Solaris units being manufactured per run; setting aside parts availability, it keeps customer support manageable within reasonable expectations, which is in fact a good thing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:16:30 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
I asked this question in a Facebook group and was directed to a gentleman by the name of Ty Unwyn who actually has the Solaris, Sledge, Prophet 12 and Montage.

Ty can't really be used as a practical reference. He has an insane studio and will buy pretty much every variation of a theme he can get his mitts on. Plus he might likely be basing that off of not knowing your situation and mean that it's the one he'd choose if he could only have one. Though the Montage for example won't fulfill your need for exotic instruments that you can showboat around, it will sonically fill a much larger gap in your repertoire.

That said, I'm not here to tell you what to buy. Just pointing things out that might be overlooked on these types of forums.

The Montage is still something I’m considering but I dislike the amount of menu diving involved. The Solaris won’t give me the FM tones I’m after but Montage won’t give me the VS tones so neither is going to do everything I’m looking for.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
Hey Lobolives, if you do order an Oberheim Two-Voice Pro, do you know how long you may be waiting for it?  Be careful.

LoboLives

« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
Hey Lobolives, if you do order an Oberheim Two-Voice Pro, do you know how long you may be waiting for it?  Be careful.

One is arriving at the store in a week. I’ll try it out and discuss ETAs, warranty, price breaks etc with the store. I suspect it’ll be about half a year waiting time.

Just picked up a Roland V Piano today with my dad so that’ll keep me busy for a bit. Still haven’t heard anything about my Prophet in the repair shop.

« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2017, 05:48:18 AM »
Anyone put a word in for Nord Lead 3? I love mine, the interface and ability to layer 4 patches at once is fantastic.

LoboLives

« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
Anyone put a word in for Nord Lead 3? I love mine, the interface and ability to layer 4 patches at once is fantastic.

Not a fan of Nord's keyboards. I like their Nord Drum 3p but that's about it.

For four octaves, four layers only...I'll take the Blofeld over a Nord Lead 1-4 any day.

« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
Nord G2 EX, best digital synth ever made. If only they had of done a G3 with sampling then it might be beaten.

LoboLives

« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »
Nord G2 EX, best digital synth ever made. If only they had of done a G3 with sampling then it might be beaten.

Nord is quite frustrating. They could be killing it in the digital synth department with stuff like the Nord Wave and Nord G2 EX being their main focus but they insist on the stage Piano route.

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »
The seemingly absence of the Nord in the realm of serious synth instrument discussions always surprises me a bit.   But I've owed one for about 3 years and I find it a valuable component.  While I confess that I initially debated getting the Nord lead 4 due to lack of aftertouch, my eventual purchase was rewarded with its 4 layer feature and fm abilities.  Strangely enough, I found that I didn't really miss the AT.  Instead, the velocity adjustment on the instrument is superb and sort of fills that gap for me.   

There's always the valid question of key bed quality.  I can tell you that the keys are not as heavy as a DSI for example, but not being an actual piano player, I was able to adjust to it quickly and so that shortcoming became overshadowed.  The overall make of the instrument, ergonomics and sound quality are excellent.   I suppose if I was to be limited to just one synth, the lead 4 would not be it.  But like any of my synths, I tend to use it for a specific use- specifically DX7 type pianos, or "real instrument" orchestral layered type pads.   There's quite a few wave shapes to chose from as well.   It's a pretty nice package, but one that probably suffers from a decent YouTube presence more than actual ability.   

Now that I recently acquired a P-12  :) (absolutely wonderful instrument) perhaps my need for the Nord may wane.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LoboLives

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
The seemingly absence of the Nord in the realm of serious synth instrument discussions always surprises me a bit.   But I've owed one for about 3 years and I find it a valuable component.  While I confess that I initially debated getting the Nord lead 4 due to lack of aftertouch, my eventual purchase was rewarded with its 4 layer feature and fm abilities.  Strangely enough, I found that I didn't really miss the AT.  Instead, the velocity adjustment on the instrument is superb and sort of fills that gap for me.   

There's always the valid question of key bed quality.  I can tell you that the keys are not as heavy as a DSI for example, but not being an actual piano player, I was able to adjust to it quickly and so that shortcoming became overshadowed.  The overall make of the instrument, ergonomics and sound quality are excellent.   I suppose if I was to be limited to just one synth, the lead 4 would not be it.  But like any of my synths, I tend to use it for a specific use- specifically DX7 type pianos, or "real instrument" orchestral layered type pads.   There's quite a few wave shapes to chose from as well.   It's a pretty nice package, but one that probably suffers from a decent YouTube presence more than actual ability.   

Now that I recently acquired a P-12  :) (absolutely wonderful instrument) perhaps my need for the Nord may wane.

Most of the Nord Lead 4 videos I’ve seen are basic virtual analog demos with almost no FM or waveshape stuff at all. Hard for me to judge.