Random sound glitches requiring resets - how do you diagnose hardware issues?

Hi There,

I've recently been getting back into the Tempest (I set it asside as it was a bit overwhelming) but have noticed sound glitches that require a reset - sometimes 3 or 4 per hour.

The glitches range from:
  • Sounds not stopping when they should within beats (like open hats not cutting off)
  • Sounds going on forever
  • Sounds just not sounding right (or the same as before)

In all cases, a reset fixes the problems - I also ran the voice calibration function but the glitches continue.

Questions:
  • Does this sound like a hardware issue?
  • Are there troubleshooting procedures I could run to fully diognose the issue?
  • Also, when USB is connected, the outputs are horribly noisy - is this normal?
Anyway, any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:14:26 PM by cmscss »

Hi There,

I've recently been getting back into the Tempest (I set it asside as it was a bit overwhelming) but have noticed sound glitches that require a reset - sometimes 3 or 4 per hour.

The glitches range from:
  • Sounds not stopping when they should within beats (like open hats not cutting off)
  • Sounds going on forever
  • Sounds just not sounding right (or the same as before)

In all cases, a reset fixes the problems - I also ran the voice calibration function but the glitches continue.

Questions:
  • Does this sound like a hardware issue?
  • Are there troubleshooting procedures I could run to fully diognose the issue?
  • Also, when USB is connected, the outputs are horribly noisy - is this normal?
Anyway, any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

You know someone would ask this: are you running the latest OS release?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

RobH

Are you using the LFO's on the VCA?

This will overide everything else and when you stop the lfo will continue to open and close the VCA making sounds continue and i guess glitching if its a fast LFO.

It also sounds like you have a USB ground loop, try using some other ports on your PC/MAC, if its a laptop you may need to get little box i think they sell that eridicates the ground loop or you can look online for other tips how to alliviate.

Check if your using the VCA on any LFO's, do this with no USB so any ground loop isnt effecting things, then get back to us and let us know if this is one cause of your problems.

Also make sure you are updated to the latest OS you can find in the sticky threads at the top of the forum.

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

@DavidDever I thought 1.4 was the last OS! Have just updated to 1.5.0.2 - thanks for the heads up.

@RobH Good point re LFO's/VCA but the changes in sound (not only notes lasting too long) are across a lot of sounds and seems more Tempest-wide. Have updated the OS - and yes, must get that USB noise sorted as I am using a laptop.

Will see how I go after the update, thanks again for the replies.

Cheers

Ben

Unplug your laptop from power and check again for noise..
Let me know how it goes

@Yorgos Arabatzis Updating to OS 1.5.0.2 has solved all my glitch/sound issues thank you.

I've also ordered a couple of USB accessories to reduce noise (damn pricy) so will see how that goes.

Is it possible to edit the title of a post (to add SOLVED) on these forums?