Broken Prophet 6 video

LoboLives

Broken Prophet 6 video
« on: August 06, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
I've contacted DSI tech support and sent them these videos as well but I'm curious if anyone else has any suggestions as to what it may be.

Re: Broken Prophet 6 video
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:07:32 PM »
Never experienced anything like that or read about something similar. I'd just wait for the support to get back to you. In the worst case you may have to swap the main board, but even that would be an easy fix. Nice Goblin tee, though.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
Bummer! The only similar situation I've run into is when both OSC are set to Square/Pulse and pulsewidth is either close to 0% or 100% on both DCOs - in that case just increase change the PW on either by 10% or more and you'll hear the DCO again. obviously the OSC mixer levels would also cause that if saved at 0%, but you've probably tried that already...

Good luck. DSI support is pretty great. And even their out of warranty repairs are super cheap. Shipping will probably cost you ways more than the repairs. Hope it's just settings.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:23:20 PM »
Never experienced anything like that or read about something similar. I'd just wait for the support to get back to you. In the worst case you may have to swap the main board, but even that would be an easy fix. Nice Goblin tee, though.

Thanks, the keyboardist of Goblin lives about a 40 minute drive from me. Met him at a local bar here and talked gear.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »
Bummer! The only similar situation I've run into is when both OSC are set to Square/Pulse and pulsewidth is either close to 0% or 100% on both DCOs - in that case just increase change the PW on either by 10% or more and you'll hear the DCO again. obviously the OSC mixer levels would also cause that if saved at 0%, but you've probably tried that already...

Good luck. DSI support is pretty great. And even their out of warranty repairs are super cheap. Shipping will probably cost you ways more than the repairs. Hope it's just settings.

It still wouldn't explain the initialize patch dropping in volume.

Yeah, honestly I'm really worried about the shipping costs. I paid about $4000 for my P6 (with the Canadian dollar being so bad) and I'd rather avoid shipping it and paying more and dealing with customs ugh. Needless to say I'm pretty put off by the whole thing.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 04:26:56 PM »
Thanks, the keyboardist of Goblin lives about a 40 minute drive from me. Met him at a local bar here and talked gear.

Very cool! I assume that conversation lasted a beer or two.  ;)

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 04:33:10 PM »

Indeed, he's got his CS-80 at his home studio he brought over from Italy. Needs some elbow grease but it's there. The only DSI stuff he has that I noticed was a Mopho x4.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »
I'm really worried about the shipping costs. I paid about $4000 for my P6 (with the Canadian dollar being so bad) and I'd rather avoid shipping it and paying more and dealing with customs ugh. Needless to say I'm pretty put off by the whole thing.

It's more than likely that you don't have to ship back the Prophet-6 itself. Let's say the main board would have to be swapped (which is already amongst the most dramatic options), then you would just get a new one from DSI along with the according instructions while you would send them your old one.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »

Indeed, he's got his CS-80 at his home studio he brought over from Italy. Needs some elbow grease but it's there. The only DSI stuff he has that I noticed was a Mopho x4.

Sweet. I didn't know that he moved to Canada.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »

Sweet. I didn't know that he moved to Canada.

Yeah he plays a few shows here. Is playing with Goblin in October here. Played with Fabio Frizzi a year or so back which was wild to experience that and hang with both before the show. He mentioned he's interested in collaborating so I may hit him up to do a jam or work on a piece together.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:02:45 PM by LoboLives »

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »
I spoke with tech support and they suggested it's something to do with the main board (exactly what Paul Dither said). I'm opting to just swap the board with a new one. I'll need someone to probably walk me through it though.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
If you have any questions whatsoever about the process of swapping your main board out, just ask whomever you're working with in support.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »
To get some idea of what's involved in a main board swap you could watch DSI's video on installing the PE retrofit on the P'08. Different synths obviously but it will be similar, minus all the soldering of pots.

Links to the youtube and PDF are here
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/prophet-08-pe-conversion-kit/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:15:56 PM by abstrx »