Two Voice Pro dilemma

LoboLives

Two Voice Pro dilemma
« on: May 24, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »
So I am saving up and getting ready to order a Tom Oberheim Two Voice Pro but I have some reservations. Tom runs a small operation and I've been reading horror stories in which people have had to send their TVS Pros back multiple times because they've arrived broken or were malfunctioning. I live in Canada and don't really want to be sending (and paying shipping) for something I'm spending $5000 CND on to be repaired again and again.

I was also thinking about just settling for two ARP Odyssey module and use an external sequencer. I can get them in the store and don't have to place a special order and risk something arriving damaged. It'll be cheaper but at the same time it won't be what will most likely be Tom's last non collaborative synth nor will it have the longevity.

Has anyone else heard such stories about the TVS Pro? Would it be better to just settle for something more accessible like ARP?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Two Voice Pro dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
We've had this discussion before.  I can't speak about the stories you've mentioned, but I have the same concerns about Oberheim products.  The safest route would be to buy one SEM, make certain it's sound, and then if you're happy with it, to buy another one.  The pair will certainly lack features of the Two-Voice Pro, but that's the cost of playing it safe.  Otherwise, using two ARP Odyssey Desktops also makes sense.  You need not fear Korg closing shop and your being left out in the cold with your modules.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:00:38 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
I'm not a TVS Pro owner, I only inquired about it once and received an immediate reply by Tom. That might be different on a day-to-day or week-to-week basis depending on what's going on on his end, but so far I think everyone has always received a reply at some point or even direct phone support. One should also consider that he's not 25 anymore, so a little patience seems fair to me.

If you really made up your mind about the TVS Pro - I mean with regard to how it sounds and all that -, I wouldn't go for two ARP Odyssey modules instead because that's something different altogether. There's no way they could work as a surrogate for a TVS Pro.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
I think very highly of the ARP Odyssey sound, but there are so many other modules available.  From my monophonic synthesizer searches, I'd say the Hypersynth Xenophone (http://www.hypersynth.com/xenophone.html) is the most impressive.  But again, there are so many others.  Why have you decided on only the two?

Shaw

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
Previously mentioned elsewhere, but this would make a nice setup:   a Pro2, stereo Odysseys, and a pair of H9s...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 01:25:44 PM »
Yes - beautiful!

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »
While probably an interesting setup, a Pro 2, two Odyssey modules, and a pair of H9s are very different from anything TVS-Pro-related.

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
While probably an interesting setup, a Pro 2, two Odyssey modules, and a pair of H9s are very different from anything TVS-Pro-related.
Quite the logical observation, Paul... Sehr logisch.   :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
I think very highly of the ARP Odyssey sound, but there are so many other modules available.  From my monophonic synthesizer searches, I'd say the Hypersynth Xenophone (http://www.hypersynth.com/xenophone.html) is the most impressive.  But again, there are so many others.  Why have you decided on only the two?

ARP mostly because of my love of early John Carpenter scores which used two ARP Avatars (which were essentially Odyssey modules) and sequenced them while the Prophet 5, 10 and ARP Quadra did the leads/pads etc.

The Two Voice Pro because that sound is massive and the fact it's two synth engines in one with a pretty advanced sequencer is incredible. It would be nice to get something from all the masters (Smith, Moog, Linn and Oberheim) but it's also a huge investment and it's $5k for something that I might have to ship back and wait a while for it to be repaired OR even worse, if something tragic were to happen and suddenly I don't know the status of the company or my repair. YIKES!

My set up that I'm going for is

Prophet 6 (which I may also add a module version down the road)
Possibly a Prophet Rev2 (or an Alesis Andromeda in great shape or if ARP reissue the Quadra)
Moog Sub 37
Either the ARPs or Oberheim
An external sequencer if I go with ARP....possibly a Doepfer Dark Time.
Tempest Drum Computer.

I also have a mint condition Kronos which I never use, a Kurzweil 2600xs and a Roland FA 08 which I use for compositions and more classical/jazz/funk sketches. But I try to keep those separate from my synth sounding oriented stuff.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »

Ich weiß.   ;)

By stating the obvious I meant the following: If I understand LoboLives' inclination towards the TVS Pro right from related and past discussions, at least three points are playing a great role:
1. the sound (which you only get here, or - by approximation - in Analogue Solutions modules)
2. the form factor, i.e. having a self-contained 2-voice synth with a plethora of flexible patch points
3. duo-timbrality, since it is my understanding that both SEMs can respond to different MIDI channels

Then there are split, layer, and alternating playback modes for the voices, the sequencer functionality, and all the hands-on control that goes beyond a single SEM, which make this a very powerful synth.

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »

Ich weiß.   ;)

By stating the obvious I meant the following: If I understand LoboLives' inclination towards the TVS Pro right from related and past discussions, at least three points are playing a great role:
1. the sound (which you only get here, or - by approximation - in Analogue Solutions modules)
2. the form factor, i.e. having a self-contained 2-voice synth with a plethora of flexible patch points
3. duo-timbrality, since it is my understanding that both SEMs can respond to different MIDI channels

Then there are split, layer, and alternating playback modes for the voices, the sequencer functionality, and all the hands-on control that goes beyond a single SEM, which make this a very powerful synth.
Very true.  The TVS Pro is greater than the sum of it's parts.  The Dual Arps is monstrosity of playing "what-if"...

I recall seeing Eurorack versions of the SEM modules (including the sequencer)... Have these actually made it to market or did they die in R&D.  If they made it to market, that could be a *best alternative* so to speak.   

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
The Two Voice Pro because that sound is massive and the fact it's two synth engines in one with a pretty advanced sequencer is incredible. It would be nice to get something from all the masters (Smith, Moog, Linn and Oberheim) but it's also a huge investment and it's $5k for something that I might have to ship back and wait a while for it to be repaired OR even worse, if something tragic were to happen and suddenly I don't know the status of the company or my repair. YIKES!

If you're dealing with an authorized dealer you should be absolutely fine. And I've not yet heard of any great catastrophe with regard to the TVS Pro.

If it's for the sound in particular, there's hardly anything that does approximate it. And given the plans for your setup, adding the Oberheim flavor seems to make more sense to me than adding the ARP flavor. Not because the Odyssey would be more of the same, but the TVS Pro is more different from the rest.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »
I recall seeing Eurorack versions of the SEM modules (including the sequencer)... Have these actually made it to market or did they die in R&D.  If they made it to market, that could be a *best alternative* so to speak.

Not sure what happened to the Eurorack versions. They were at least presented twice at NAMM in different versions. But they've not been released yet. They would also only be a real alternative if one plans to go Eurorack anyway.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 03:00:19 PM »
The Analog Solutions modules/keyboards are worth considering, but remember that one lacks portamento and the other lacks a true square wave.  But they do sound great in the Oberheim/Moog analog tradition of synthesis.

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 04:44:58 PM »
The Analog Solutions modules/keyboards are worth considering, but remember that one lacks portamento and the other lacks a true square wave.  But they do sound great in the Oberheim/Moog analog tradition of synthesis.

Yeah I should look at other options as well. Any opinions on the Moog Mother 32?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
Chysn has one; ask him.

Shaw

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
Chysn has one; ask him.
I would think the Moog Mother 32 would make a great addition to a DSI Pro2.  Thoughts?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »
Yeah I should look at other options as well.

This thread might be of help to you:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,385.0.html

chysn

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 03:38:11 AM »
Chysn has one; ask him.
I would think the Moog Mother 32 would make a great addition to a DSI Pro2.  Thoughts?

I did have a Mother 32, but sold it to buy eurorack modules.

That said, I have no doubt that a Mother 32 would be a great addition to a Pro2. The M32 has the iconic filter, and a really nice oscillator with sweet PWM. Get some Hosa 1/4" to 1/8" cables for the CV and you'll have a blast.

For a snapshot of the DSI/Moog blend, here's a track that's about 50% Mother 32 and 50% Desktop Evolver. Not a Pro2, of course, but has a sort of sequenced filter ostinato that I imagine the Pro2 would also be good at.

https://soundcloud.com/beige-maze/pirate-kite
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 03:47:08 AM »

Not sure what happened to the Eurorack versions. They were at least presented twice at NAMM in different versions. But they've not been released yet. They would also only be a real alternative if one plans to go Eurorack anyway.

And but anyway, there are some really good SEM filters in eurorack, notably by Doepfer (I can personally vouch for the awesomeness of the A-106-5) and Studio Electronics (the eurorack realization of their Boomstar SEM filter).
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his