Prophet '08 Developing Discontinued?

Prophet '08 Developing Discontinued?
« on: January 22, 2017, 06:30:09 AM »
Hello everybody, now that the new REV2 is on the way, DSI will abandon Prophet 08? Really hope not...because I like it and I' m not interested in super features..I think that an instrument with a personality doesn't need extra features....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:13:37 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prphet 08 developing discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »
I feel the same way.  If the instrument was great, then it's still great, in spite the appearance of an even greater instrument. 

As for development, that phase of the Prophet '08's life is certainly over, but DSI will continue to provide service and maintenance for it.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »
Well, I alluded to this in the "Other" and "REV2" thread, but - there - I discussed my opportunity to return my new, less than 30 days old Prophet 08, and wait for the new REV2. I opted to keep my new P08, but with a price adjustment downward. I keep finding plenty of things that can be modulated in the P08. And my biggest concern - I'll air it now, as I didn't in the "other" thread - is the potential for heat (now that they've gone to an internal PS, instead of a "wall-wart"). Added to that, I think there may be an additional 8 voice cards to generate more heat? maybe I'm wrong, but I want total compatibility with the existing platforms, as well. Besides, I've already "registered" it with DSI, and it's just the "right thing to do(TM)." ;D  I'll probably pick up a P08 module, though, fairly soon.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »
Heat will not be a worry. The Pro 2 and the P-12 both have internal power transformers. DSI probably went with a wall wart in the first iteration because of the cost and difficulty of getting an internal approved through Underwriters Laboratories.  With the R&D done in the other synths, it's probably a piece of cake now to go internal.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.