Oracle For The P12 iPad App

Oracle For The P12 iPad App
« on: January 06, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »
Hey, just wanted to post that l'm almost finished with this:

I've been using it to randomly generate patches of a certain flavor (Pad, FM, Arp, etc) and I'm getting some good results. Randomization in SoundTower's software always gave me chaos...this uses intelligent randomization to keep things musical. You can Randomize / Morph the entire patch, individual modules, or individual parameters.

You can also Save/ Load grouped parameters (LFO, Delay, Modulations, etc) and store Patch Snapshots to quickly jump between sounds.

Just finishing up some testing the next week or so. I'll probably add more advanced performance / control features later on. Suggestions welcome!

Re: Oracle For The P12 iPad App
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
Hey, just wanted to post that l'm almost finished with this:

I've been using it to randomly generate patches of a certain flavor (Pad, FM, Arp, etc) and I'm getting some good results. Randomization in SoundTower's software always gave me chaos...this uses intelligent randomization to keep things musical. You can Randomize / Morph the entire patch, individual modules, or individual parameters.

You can also Save/ Load grouped parameters (LFO, Delay, Modulations, etc) and store Patch Snapshots to quickly jump between sounds.

Just finishing up some testing the next week or so. I'll probably add more advanced performance / control features later on. Suggestions welcome!
Looks cool, keep me posted.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »
Oracle is now on the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oracle-for-the-prophet-12/id1198283877?ls=1&mt=8

Features:
- Quickly populate layers with patches of a certain type (Pad, FM, DX style 4-OP algorithms, Bass, Keys, Arp)
- Intelligently randomize Programs, Layers, Modules and Parameters
- Various functions to aid in sound design
- Program snapshots for install recall
- Morph layers for sound variations
- Control common parameters across both layers
- Save and Load Programs, Layers, and Modules
- WIFI + direct connection support

Suggestions welcome! I plan on adding more features in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:07:31 PM by mekohler »

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »
Oracle is now on the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oracle-for-the-prophet-12/id1198283877?ls=1&mt=8

Features:
- Quickly populate layers with patches of a certain type (Pad, FM, DX style 4-OP algorithms, Bass, Keys, Arp)
- Intelligently randomize Programs, Layers, Modules and Parameters
- Various functions to aid in sound design
- Program snapshots for install recall
- Morph layers for sound variations
- Control common parameters across both layers
- Save and Load Programs, Layers, and Modules
- WIFI + direct connection support

Suggestions welcome! I plan on adding more features in the coming weeks.

Don't know if it's possible, but it would be great if you could load banks of programs into the app and store them and then pick and choose programs from those banks to load in real time into the synth. I have way more than four user banks and that would give me all my banks to load programs I want at my fingertips.

Adding a "favorites" feature that would allow you to mark your favorite patches and then just get a list of those patches.

Probably will think of some more too. Looking forward to trying it out. Good price.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
Yeah, sending / receiving entire banks is on my list for the next few updates, just need to make some UI for it. Favorite patches as well.

Explanations of current functions:
Spread Layer: Duplicates the current layer, copies it to the other layer, detunes it slightly and pans each of them hard L and R if there is an open mod slot
Clear Tune Mods: Removes any modulations that affects the tuning of oscillators
Clear VCA Mods: Removes any modulations that affects the VCA (to prevent constant drones)
Normalize: Shifts most parameter values by a certain % to that of a new patch...normalizing enough will bring you back to a blank patch

Any other useful functions you guys can think of?

Next update has a visual update, adds tuning in random Octaves or Ratios (For FM), and I'm working on useful ways of populating the Arp's sequencer (Need UI for that as well). A small keyboard on the bottom as well for triggering notes.

dslsynth

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
Technical question: what part of the Apple API are you using for the GUI?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »
Most things are built upon the standard objects in Apple's UIKit. For "fancier" things like the rotating dials and sliders, I coded them from scratch, but again, they are built using CALayers which is standard stuff.

dslsynth

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »
Thank for the answer, mekohler! :)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »
Yeah, sending / receiving entire banks is on my list for the next few updates, just need to make some UI for it. Favorite patches as well.

Spread Layer: Duplicates the current layer, copies it to the other layer, detunes it slightly and pans each of them hard L and R if there is an open mod slot
Clear VCA Mods: Removes any modulations that affects the VCA (to prevent constant drones)
Normalize: Shifts most parameter values by a certain % to that of a new patch...normalizing enough will bring you back to a blank patch

Next update has a visual update, adds tuning in random Octaves or Ratios (For FM), and I'm working on useful ways of populating the Arp's sequencer (Need UI for that as well). A small keyboard on the bottom as well for triggering notes.

Will you be able to select individual patches from within a bank and send that one to the synth rather than a whole bank?

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »

High delays seem to make that feature crash past using two of the delay lines so maybe a function that allows you to ensure its all switched to low or if you choose high only a maximum of two delays?

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 05:17:16 PM »
Yes I will have ways of backing up the entire P12 (All Banks, All Programs, Globals), requesting certain programs, requesting certain banks. It's already coded, I just didn't have time to think up an appropriate UI.

Right now, for the time being, you are receiving and sending to the current Edit Buffer, not a specific bank / program.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
High delays seem to make that feature crash past using two of the delay lines so maybe a function that allows you to ensure its all switched to low or if you choose high only a maximum of two delays?

Not sure what you mean? High Delays?

Right now, you can lock any parameter by long-pressing it, so if you wanted to lock certain delays to have Amount / FeedBack of a certain value you can, but I don't think that's what you mean.

All randomization is intelligent, and tries to limit the values within a certain musical range. Randomization for "Pad" is different than randomization for "Bass" which is different than just the general "Randomization". I attempt to be as musical as possible, but there are certain cases where the patches are too crazy.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:23:31 PM by mekohler »

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »

Not sure what you mean? High Delays?

Right now, you can lock any parameter by long-pressing it, so if you wanted to lock certain delays to have Amount / FeedBack of a certain value you can, but I don't think that's what you mean.
no the delay quality setting is Hugh and low. They added high but the DSP runs out often and craps out of you have high quality.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »
Oh you mean Delay Feedback mode High / Low? That is connected to all delays, so you can't have certain delays in High and others in Low...it's all or nothing. If you wanted to lock that value to High / Low you can lock any FM Mode parameter on any of the Delays and they will all lock.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:26:14 PM by mekohler »

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »
Oh you mean Delay Feedback mode High / Low? That is connected to all delays, so you can't have certain delays in High and others in Low...it's all or nothing. If you wanted to lock that value to High / Low you can lock any FM Mode parameter on any of the Delays and they will all lock.
Yes, lock them to low. Especially for random patch generation .

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »
You can lock them yourself by long-pressing and they won't go to "High" if you use the Random / Morph / Clear buttons at the top or the equivalent RMC buttons for each module.

The patch flavors (Pad, FM, DX, etc) currently DON'T obey the locks (and thus, can enable High mode), but I will make them obey...I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted them to obey the locks since a patch flavor could be highly dependent on a parameter you locked...either way I will add an option for that!

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
You can lock them yourself by long-pressing and they won't go to "High" if you use the Random / Morph / Clear buttons at the top or the equivalent RMC buttons for each module.

The patch flavors (Pad, FM, DX, etc) currently DON'T obey the locks (and thus, can enable High mode), but I will make them obey...I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted them to obey the locks since a patch flavor could be highly dependent on a parameter you locked...either way I will add an option for that!
great!

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »
New update is out, I changed the underlying model for more advanced features in the future so do a fresh install.

- Visual overhaul
- Added Layer Topography section (graphical representation of all parameters that you can draw on)
- Added ability to save each type of Module
- Added new sound design functions
- Added advanced options
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:58:35 PM by mekohler »

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
New update is out, I changed the underlying model for more advanced features in the future so do a fresh install.

- Visual overhaul
- Added Layer Topography section (graphical representation of all parameters that you can draw on)
- Added ability to save each type of Module
- Added new sound design functions
- Added advanced options

So delete and re-download the app? I updated just doing the normal app update process, which is why I am asking.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »
If you saved any Programs / Layers / Modules etc in the app from last time, I can't guarantee they will work in this update since I changed the underlying model, so that's why I suggested a fresh install. Otherwise, it doesn't matter!