Question from novice. How to connect the Tempest?

Question from novice. How to connect the Tempest?
« on: January 05, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »
Welcome Everyone,

This is my first post here, but for sure not the last one. I'm going to read a lot here and I'll ask some question as well.

My Tempest will be delivered tomorrow and I'm wondering how to connect it properly to my poor setup.
I'm starting with the new way of producing the music. Currently I work on Ableton Live with Push. I have powerful Mackbook Pro, Scarlett 2i4 audio interface and 2x ADAM F5 monitors. I'm tired to work just on software without any soul and this ''something'' which in Tempest is obvious. I want to learn, I'm ready. That's why I'll be very grateful if some of you could help me with my journey.

My first main question is how to connect the Tempest with monitors? Can I plug the monitors straight to Tempest? (I'm sorry if this question is quite silly)
If not, how can I connect it to the audio interface? Currently monitors are connected via trs/xlr. I think that I'm able to connect the Tempest, but I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking you guys.

The perfect solution for me would be to have all synced, I mean to play from Tempest, listen to it on my monitors and add some effects from Ableton using the Push. Is that possible?

Please, any advice at the beginning will be very helpful.

Thank you very much in advance.

Shea

Re: Question from novice. How to connect the Tempest?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
Plug your tempest's main outs and MIDI in and out into your 2i4.

Set your 2i4 as the audio driver in ableton and go to input config and enable input 1/2 as stereo pair.

Go to MIDI and enable Track, Sync, and Remote for the input and output of the 2i4.

Create an audio track and set the input to Ext., and select 1/2.

You can now choose to have the tempest or ableton act as the master clock.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »
If you want to use MIDI over USB, don't forget to switch those in the Tempest system settings.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 04:28:48 AM »
Thanks for your support!

So just to clarify, which cables do I need exactly?

2x TRS to RCA (or TS to RCA?) - to connect the monitors to the audio card
2x MIDI female to male

Am I right?

I'm just wondering if this make any sense. You said that I can do it, but is it efficient? Well, I guess that for next couple of months I'll just learn the basics of the Tempest anyway, but I just want to start with good set up.

Do you recommend me something particular?

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »
if you want to use the balanced outputs you need 2 TRS to XLR cables or 2 RCA-RCA cables for an unbalanced version. the main outputs of the tempest are mono jacks, thus 2 ts-ts jacks will do.
just standard midi cables, both ends male, or usb.