External filter

External filter
« on: August 10, 2023, 06:42:03 AM »
Are there any external 4-pole stereo filters to make Ob6 sound more like p6? I know its gonna be limited , without filter modulation, but are there any options?
What other external filter, drive or similar  gear are people using with ob6?

chysn

Re: External filter
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 10:14:57 AM »
I suppose one answer to this is "Get a Pro 3," which has a Prophet 6 filter and an audio in. But Pro 3 takes up a lot of space and costs a lot more than a filter. Unfortunately the Toraiz AS-1, while more cost effective, does not offer audio input.

You'll get close with a Eurorack filter based on the CEM3320, of which several are available now that the 3320 has been reissued. Just search for "CEM3320 Eurorack". For example:

https://reverb.com/item/62138623-analogfx-vcf-3320-eurorack-lpf-cem-3320-based-low-pass-filter-2022-black
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 10:34:22 AM »
There are also a multitude of filter units and pedals out there. Don’t forgot though you’ll be putting your already coloured signal through the external filter, right at the end of the chain. And you’ll need a stereo one too (or for example 2 x Eurorack you’d have to manually sync) if you wish to maintain the stereo signal.

Are you sure you don’t just want to sell the OB6 and replace with a Prophet 6? Or are you trying to achieve both filter sounds through one synth?

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 02:16:41 PM »
I suppose one answer to this is "Get a Pro 3," which has a Prophet 6 filter and an audio in. But Pro 3 takes up a lot of space and costs a lot more than a filter. Unfortunately the Toraiz AS-1, while more cost effective, does not offer audio input.

You'll get close with a Eurorack filter based on the CEM3320, of which several are available now that the 3320 has been reissued. Just search for "CEM3320 Eurorack". For example:

https://reverb.com/item/62138623-analogfx-vcf-3320-eurorack-lpf-cem-3320-based-low-pass-filter-2022-black

All the synths that have audio input are mono input only?

also are there Eurorack Filter with stereo input and stereo output?

Im not very familiar with eurorack setup, but can u get away with buying a small powered case and one filter module and be done with it? Like Ob6-> to Eurorack filter->to UAD interface.
Or you need some Input/Output modules to make it work with OB6?

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 02:20:22 PM »
There are also a multitude of filter units and pedals out there. Don’t forgot though you’ll be putting your already coloured signal through the external filter, right at the end of the chain. And you’ll need a stereo one too (or for example 2 x Eurorack you’d have to manually sync) if you wish to maintain the stereo signal.

Are you sure you don’t just want to sell the OB6 and replace with a Prophet 6? Or are you trying to achieve both filter sounds through one synth?

The only analog stereo Filter pedal i could find was Analog Heat, but it has 2-pole (12dB slope) filter, so i assume its similar to Ob6 filter.
I couldn't find any analog stereo filter pedal with 4-pole (24dB ) filter.

chysn

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 03:56:42 PM »
All the synths that have audio input are mono input only?

Yeah, typically, with Evolver being a notable exception. But the OB-6's sound engine is basically monaural anyway. That is, it doesn't have stereo filters, and only fakes stereo with digital effects and pan. If you're going to a second filter, you probably don't want it applied post-effects anyway.

also are there Eurorack Filter with stereo input and stereo output?

Yes, but if you're looking specifically for an SEM3320 filter, your options might be limited. You probably won't save money by buying a stereo module versus two monaural modules. That's the Eurorack Way.

Im not very familiar with eurorack setup, but can u get away with buying a small powered case and one filter module and be done with it? Like Ob6-> to Eurorack filter->to UAD interface.
Or you need some Input/Output modules to make it work with OB6?

Yeah, a power supply and a little case. Eurorack output is significantly hotter than the line-level that natively comes out of OB-6. You can either get an output module, or use an outboard mixer to attenuate the signal(s).

Once you start buying Eurorack, I don't care who you are or how limited you think your use case is, you're not going to stop at a filter. So you might as well get a reasonably-sized case.  :)

You know, it might be worthwhile to look for an Evolver Desktop. There are other cool processing tricks it can do, in addition to having stereo filters.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 04:01:28 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 05:05:47 PM »
Are there any external 4-pole stereo filters to make Ob6 sound more like p6? I know its gonna be limited , without filter modulation, but are there any options?
What other external filter, drive or similar  gear are people using with ob6?

If you use a DAW, I'd recommend taking a look at Fabfilter Volcano3.. nothing lost, there's a 30 day fully functional demo.

I know later in the thread you expressed an interest in analog and I definitely get that.  But, there are good digital filters and bad ones, and depending on what your goals are sometimes the flexibilty of what you want to or can do with that filter is more important than whether digital or analog.  Some plug-ins just get into territory that analog hardware cannot and I'd say this is one of those, particularly when it comes to control over the stereo field of the filter characteristics.  And then being able to visualize what you're doing so well is just next level.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

W07

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 04:43:59 PM »
This kind of stuff is nice to do, ut it will always be a bit janky, since the filtering is not per-voice or note. you could use an envelope follower and have a filter or eq track the highest note, but it still won't sound the same.

A plugin/daw filter or even lowpass eq  could change the top end timbre a bit, especially with the aforementioned envelope follower and highest note pitch tracking.

But in the end i think you are better off saving up for a different sounding companion synth, like the Prophet 6, Super6, summit/peak etc. In software, U-He's ReproV sounds convincing enough i sold my Prophet 6, tbh.

chysn

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 05:12:57 PM »
This kind of stuff is nice to do, ut it will always be a bit janky, since the filtering is not per-voice or note. you could use an envelope follower and have a filter or eq track the highest note, but it still won't sound the same.

Can confirm the jankiness of this solution. I used to use a Moog MF-101 with a Yamaha DX-7. It did sound cool, and the Moogerfooger envelope follower was helpful, as W07 suggests. But it was still both paraphonic and not really controllable via the DX-7. There's no real substitute for a filter integrated with the instrument.

On the other hand, it's a shame that the hardware Moogerfoogers are out of production and absurdly expensive, because it sounds like what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 05:14:38 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 06:44:38 AM »
Funny - I just made a related thread in the P6 forum and I think we have the same goal. https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,7407.0.html

I don't think it was mentioned here, but the Erica Synths Zen Delay pedal has a 24db multimode LP/HP/BP. It is also stereo. It's not a cheap unit and probably overkill if you only need the filter.

I already own the Zen and have been really struggling to decide between the P6 and OB6. But it hit me that the filter on the Zen would approximate the p6 filter and that the "best of both worlds" combo would be OB6 + the Zen. I'm sure the filter is not quite in the same league as the P6, but it seems like it would really close the gap between the two synths to have both filter options.