LFO suggestion

LFO suggestion
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:47:59 AM »
When I got the P6 I was really pleased that it had the added 'special case' LFO setting for noise (max frequency random). From my perspective that added a lot of functionality to the otherwise quite fixed LFO section.

One of the things I miss from the P'08 is the ability to use the mod wheel to sweep a parameter, such as LP cutoff or oscillator 1 on a hard synced sound.

I was wondering if it would be possible to create another 'special case' LFO setting ( 0 frequency random for example) that would produce a fixed static value that you could then use to sweep the destination(s) using the mod wheel?

Re: LFO suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
+1

Tom

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
+1 brilliant

PSR

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
Word! That's a great suggestion.

blewis

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »
Would be nice. The LFO modulation on nearly every patch is a one trick pony: usually way too deep pitch modulation (for me)

Although, I think what you're asking for might be better thought of as a 0Hz triangle that one sweeps with the mod wheel. But having Random be the "special" one makes sense too, but random almost indicates you don't have control over the values.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:24:31 AM »
I like this idea. It is simple and intuitive. Hoping this will be added.

wetfood

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »
Yes!  8)

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »
+1
Great suggestion! This could actually add quite a bit of expressivity to the P6. Just the possibility of controlling sync sounds directly via the wheel would be worth the effort. And as blewis has suggested in this other thread, it would  also allow for smooth (non-quantized) filter sweeps which otherwise aren't really possible on the P6.

As for the best way of implementing this though, it might not be as easy as just changing the behavior of a specific LFO waveform to output a constant voltage when the frequency knob is turned all the way to the left. That's because it would theoretically change any pre-existing sounds which use the minimum LFO speed.
So here's an alternative suggestion: On the P6, the LFO waveform is selected via an encoder and the current selection is signaled by an LED. Why not add another state after "Random", so when you turn the encoder another notch, no LED is lit, signaling "no waveform selected" and resulting in a constant DC voltage. To me that would seem quite logical and intuitive.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:36:49 PM by Christopher »
Prophet-6 № 01397 | Prophet-10 № 0174

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 11:59:13 PM »
So here's an alternative suggestion: On the P6, the LFO waveform is selected via an encoder and the current selection is signaled by an LED. Why not add another state after "Random", so when you turn the encoder another notch, no LED is lit, signaling "no waveform selected" and resulting in a constant DC voltage. To me that would seem quite logical and intuitive.
I like this idea a lot. More elegant than the solution I suggested.  8)

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 05:04:42 AM »
+1😎
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

drxcm

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
Wonderful idea - has anyone contacted DSI support to suggest this - I would fully endorse this as a firmware update!!

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 06:15:54 AM »
Yes indeed, this would be perfect, DSI please if you could add this (whilst sorting out the tempest ;))

blewis

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »
Linking my response from the filter thread regarding this feature:

For those of you reading, if you want the mod wheel to be able to manually sweep the filter by setting a frequency of 0 on the LFO, please file a feature request with DSI through their support line.

I did and Carson was kind enough to explain that the feature had been discussed but had not made the cut. At least communicate with them what you want.

I am convinced via this thread that a 0Hz Square setting is the most logical - that way the mod wheel still controls the depth of modulation. If the square is stuck at 127, then you're controlling the depth of 0-127. I like it.