Noise generation on P'08

Noise generation on P'08
« on: January 03, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
This topic came up in the "What will replace the P'08 and when?" thread but it should be its own topic. So here goes.

I've been struggling with in my effort to make the P'08 DCOs sound more VCO-like. I definitely found the random LFO sounds creepy, but the noise modulation seems creepy too.

If I have two modulations using noise as the source, will the two destinations be correlated?

How exactly is the noise modulation implemented on the P'08? Is it sampled from audio noise source?

This is a side comment. I've been trying to figure out how to listen to the modulating signal itself. The nearest I've been able to do this is to set up a PWM oscillator with the pulse width of 99%. Then modulate the amp envelope sustain. Does anyone have a better method?

Paul Dither has answered two questions in the other thread, and I hope he copies it into this one so I can pepper him with more questions.

Re: Noise generation on P'08
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »
Paul Dither's reply in the other thread:

If I have two modulations using noise as the source, will the two destinations be correlated?

No, each destination will be modulated individually.

How exactly is the noise modulation implemented on the P'08? Is it sampled from audio noise source?

It's generated by a dedicated chip, a digital noise generator, which is basically operating as a random number generator. It has nothing to do with samples.

So that leads to more questions:

1. Which chip is generating the random numbers? Is there a datasheet?
2. Is the noise generator in the oscillator section using the same chip?
3. Am I correct to assume that the Prophet 12 doesn't have this chip and the SHARCs are generating the noise?

Re: Noise generation on P'08
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »
1. Which chip is generating the random numbers? Is there a datasheet?
2. Is the noise generator in the oscillator section using the same chip?
3. Am I correct to assume that the Prophet 12 doesn't have this chip and the SHARCs are generating the noise?

1. No.
2. There are the DCOs and there is noise generator, which are most definitely based on different chips. As for details see 1.
3. That's correct. On the Prophet 12 and the Pro 2, noise is part of each oscillator's selection of waveforms, i.e. not produced separately.