Prophet 8, 6, or an OB6?

ZDH

Prophet 8, 6, or an OB6?
« on: January 01, 2017, 04:00:03 PM »
Currently the only Dave Smith Instrument I own is a Tempest which I love but I'm looking for more analog power beyond the other synth I own, the Korg minilogue.

I've had the benefit of playing all 3 synths listed in the topic title and finally looking to purchase one. The only problem is which one...  :P

While I love the sound of the OB6 the most and it's my dream synth, it's far out of my budget currently as a student. Same with the P6 which is just a little cheaper here in Canada.

I hope to one day own all 3 and currently I'm leaning towards the P8 module as it's quite cheaper. But would having both the P8 and P6 make sense? I for sure will get the OB6 no matter what once I start working full time in my field but I was wondering if it just makes more sense to hold out and purchase the P6 and OB6 rather than including the P8 today too?
The reason why I feel inclined towards purchasing the P8 is cause I heard it's not in production anymore and don't want to miss out on a great synth.

Any advice???

Thanks!!!

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet 8, 6, or an OB6?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
You're right, the Prophet '08 has been discontinued and there's no telling how much longer new ones will be available.  My guess is for only a few weeks, and it will become increasingly difficult to find the few that are left. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »
You might appreciate the series of Prophet '08 - Prophet 6 comparison videos that Starsky Carr made.  They're long but quite useful.  They start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP0Z_YWvU7E

ZDH

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »
You're right, the Prophet '08 has been discontinued and there's no telling how much longer new ones will be available.  My guess is for only a few weeks, and it will become increasingly difficult to find the few that are left.

This is one of the reasons why I want a P8 so bad. I'll know I'll always regret it if I don't grab one haha.
How long do you figure before DSI stops production of the P6 or OB6?

ZDH

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 06:20:18 PM »
You might appreciate the series of Prophet '08 - Prophet 6 comparison videos that Starsky Carr made.  They're long but quite useful.  They start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP0Z_YWvU7E

Thanks for the comparison videos! I've actually seen them before and realized I like both synths qualities for different reasons  :P

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 08:48:54 PM »
How long do you figure before DSI stops production of the P6 or OB6?

I wouldn't worry about those two.  I'd say they'll be around for at least five more years.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 05:25:44 AM »
Currently the only Dave Smith Instrument I own is a Tempest which I love but I'm looking for more analog power beyond the other synth I own, the Korg minilogue.

I've had the benefit of playing all 3 synths listed in the topic title and finally looking to purchase one. The only problem is which one...  :P

While I love the sound of the OB6 the most and it's my dream synth, it's far out of my budget currently as a student. Same with the P6 which is just a little cheaper here in Canada.

I hope to one day own all 3 and currently I'm leaning towards the P8 module as it's quite cheaper. But would having both the P8 and P6 make sense? I for sure will get the OB6 no matter what once I start working full time in my field but I was wondering if it just makes more sense to hold out and purchase the P6 and OB6 rather than including the P8 today too?
The reason why I feel inclined towards purchasing the P8 is cause I heard it's not in production anymore and don't want to miss out on a great synth.

Any advice???

Thanks!!!

Have you considered a Pro-2 (4-osc paraphonic with OB SEM and P-6 SSM-style filters)? Or a new/used Mopho x4 (4-voice, 2-osc, effectively half a Prophet '08)? Both are significantly cheaper, smaller (always a good thing in limited student accommodations) and lightweight.

Going deeper: the Mopho x4 gives you an additional pair of sub-oscs, which allows you to fatten up individual voices without having to resort to layering; the Pro-2 is a pretty powerful beast, with built-in multi-destination sequencer and CV/gate I/Os. In fact, at the moment, you could probably get both for the price of a single OB-6, maybe less!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:30:41 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »
For me, it was a no-brainer: I'm using it live, and so I really want a 5 octave keyboard with splits and layers. Of course, there are many other things that the '08 can do that the 6 cannot. I think the presets are better on the newer instruments though, and there are a lot more of them. As you can see in Starsky Carr's videos, the layer feature alone can make the '08 sound better for many sounds. When watching his videos, I get the sense that the 6 can sound marginally better than the '08 on simple sounds. (I also had this impression when I briefly played the 6 and OB6 in person.) How much better is pretty subjective: Is it 5% better? To me, it's probably not 10% better. If you read through The Prophet '08 Among Prophets thread, you will read about the advantages of using Sacred Synthesis' method of using two synthesizers panned to separate sides at the mixer. To me, this is not merely a marginal difference. How much better does it sound? Again, it's subjective, but I think it is probably more like 25% better. The current cost of such a setup is around $2,300, and it sounds considerably better than either of the other instruments alone. Of course, one could utilize a similar approach with the 6 or OB6, but at well over twice the cost... and you still can't do splits and layers.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »
We are in an exceptional time right now - and it will be quite brief - when folks can still buy a brand new Prophet '08 Keyboard and a Module at an unbelievable price.  There's no substitute for this pair.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:52:12 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

ZDH

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 06:28:29 PM »

Any advice???

Thanks!!!

Have you considered a Pro-2 (4-osc paraphonic with OB SEM and P-6 SSM-style filters)? Or a new/used Mopho x4 (4-voice, 2-osc, effectively half a Prophet '08)? Both are significantly cheaper, smaller (always a good thing in limited student accommodations) and lightweight.

Going deeper: the Mopho x4 gives you an additional pair of sub-oscs, which allows you to fatten up individual voices without having to resort to layering; the Pro-2 is a pretty powerful beast, with built-in multi-destination sequencer and CV/gate I/Os. In fact, at the moment, you could probably get both for the price of a single OB-6, maybe less!

Thanks for the recommendations! But I'm not really a fan of those two synths from the videos I've seen on YouTube. Some of it comes down to the look of the synths too as superficial as that may seem  ::)

ZDH

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »
For me, it was a no-brainer: I'm using it live, and so I really want a 5 octave keyboard with splits and layers. Of course, there are many other things that the '08 can do that the 6 cannot. I think the presets are better on the newer instruments though, and there are a lot more of them. As you can see in Starsky Carr's videos, the layer feature alone can make the '08 sound better for many sounds. When watching his videos, I get the sense that the 6 can sound marginally better than the '08 on simple sounds. (I also had this impression when I briefly played the 6 and OB6 in person.) How much better is pretty subjective: Is it 5% better? To me, it's probably not 10% better. If you read through The Prophet '08 Among Prophets thread, you will read about the advantages of using Sacred Synthesis' method of using two synthesizers panned to separate sides at the mixer. To me, this is not merely a marginal difference. How much better does it sound? Again, it's subjective, but I think it is probably more like 25% better. The current cost of such a setup is around $2,300, and it sounds considerably better than either of the other instruments alone. Of course, one could utilize a similar approach with the 6 or OB6, but at well over twice the cost... and you still can't do splits and layers.

Really craving a P8 now after reading that, thanks!  8)

ZDH

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:26 PM »
We are in an exceptional time right now - and it will be quite brief - when folks can still buy a brand new Prophet '08 Keyboard and a Module at an unbelievable price.  There's no substitute for this pair.

My local store is selling the P8 module for 1799 cad, seems a little high especially with all the great US deals I've been seeing. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
Pro Audio in the US is selling the Prophet '08 Keyboard for $1250 and the Module for $1,100.  Time's a-wasting.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Prophet+%2708

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
Yes, the P-08 is amazing! I have previously written that I think the P-08 is a superior instrument to the P-5 (blasphemy).   I have a P-08, P-12 and a Pro-2.  I love all of them.  I recently got the P-12 module, and have been so impressed with the sound I am getting out of it.  I will be writing more about it later.  I thought I would have more time over the holidays but got called to work.  Amazing how life gets in the way.

My experience with the P-6 and the OB-6 have been just at Guitar Center sitting down with them for awhile.  I think the P-08 is a far better instrument overall.  The advantage of the P-6/OB-6 is that they have on board effects.  However, they have nowhere near the modulation abilities that the P-08 has.  I would rather have the modulation capability and get a effects box or use the effects on my DAW.

I don't think having VCO's is really an advantage.  They have a "sound", but I think the DCO's in the P-08 and the digital oscs in the P-12/Pro-2 make amazing sounds too. 

Given the current prices, go for the P-08 and later on when the OB-6 comes down in price pick it up.  You will not be sorry to have both.  The advantage of these hardware synths is that they all have their own sounds - and they will always be a useful instrument.  I am sure that each of the DSI higher end synths will hold their value and ultimately be a "classic" like the P-5 and VS.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:01:42 PM by jdt9517 »
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 01:43:28 AM »
As with the Prophet 12 before it, after 18 months I sold the Prophet~6 and kept the Prophet'08.

The limitations of the P6 were just too much for me in the end. I found the simplicity of it stifled my creativity and inspiration in sound design. It often sounded great but rarely sounded like 'me', if that makes sense. The voicing of the P6 combined with the flexibility of modulation in the P'08 would have been a killer combination, but I found ultimately that the P'08's flexibility is more valuable to me than a great filter.

The things I'll miss are using oscillator 2 to modulate the high-pass cutoff, which generated some great textures, and the built-in chorus and phaser effects. Increasingly my feeling was that the effects were compensating for a lack of movement in the dry synth tone. I struggled to make it sound interesting without adding chorus/phaser and delay.

Before I sold it, I re-programmed all my favourite sounds from the P6 on the P'08 with surprisingly good and accurate results, often requiring no more than a hint of reverb to sound as captivating as the more heavily effected P6 sounds. I thought I would feel a twinge of seller's remorse when it went, but sitting down and playing some of my favourite P'08 sounds afterwards only confirmed that I had done the right thing.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 06:10:19 AM »
Wow, that's shocking, Fuseball.  I was following your comments with interest, since we appear to have similar tastes in instruments, and the last I read, it seemed as if you were gradually coming 'round to accepting and liking the P-6.  I guess it was a matter of that little game we all sometimes play with ourselves of trying to get ourselves to like something that we clearly do not like.  "Giving it a chance," as we say. 

We're happily but hopelessly Prophet '08 guys, and I'd say there are many of us.  The big question is, what will DSI do for us now?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:12:07 AM by Sacred Synthesis »