Record real time fx on already recorded notes.

Record real time fx on already recorded notes.
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »
Is it possible to record real time fx on some already recorded notes?
It seems not...

Thanks.

Re: Record real time fx on already recorded notes.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
Yes: when in the events page (step sequencer editing) check the oled screen: 3rd soft knob lets you choose the parameter you want to edit for a specific note, 4th soft knob lets you change the value for that parameter

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:35:35 AM »
It seems not...

Thanks.

Perhaps the information you're looking for can be found here:

http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1735&p=58648#p58648

I'm assuming anyway that you're talking about recording over existing sequencer data in real-time using the FX sliders?

Cheers!

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:09:25 AM »
It seems not...

Thanks.

Perhaps the information you're looking for can be found here:

I can't access to the old forum because there's no one that's gonna accept my registration.... Anyways, yes, that's what i'm talking about and i think i realized it can e easily done... Cheers.

http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1735&p=58648#p58648

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:32:32 AM by Paul Santangelo »

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
Here ya go ;) Also posted on the tips & tricks thread...

Real Time NOTE FX Sounds Mode Operations

The New: † UI Preferences-> 2. Sounds slider mode: Realtime Mode was confusing me, so ....

... Nice PDF 2x2x2 Matrix Attached, but briefly ...

* Real Time FX are always available as momentary effects.
* Playback bypasses Sequencer Note FX, and Arms Real Time FX for Recording
* Latching requires an Initial Touch, but once set can be engaged and disengaged by toggling Play Back, * which when off, reverts to the Sequencer control.
* Latching is ignored during recording,

I can't access to the old forum because there's no one that's gonna accept my registration.... Anyways, yes, that's what i'm talking about and i think i realized it can e easily done... Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:43:46 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

Pidcin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:45 PM »
Here ya go ;) Also posted on the tips & tricks thread...

Real Time NOTE FX Sounds Mode Operations

The New: † UI Preferences-> 2. Sounds slider mode: Realtime Mode was confusing me, so ....

... Nice PDF 2x2x2 Matrix Attached, but briefly ...

* Real Time FX are always available as momentary effects.
* Playback bypasses Sequencer Note FX, and Arms Real Time FX for Recording
* Latching requires an Initial Touch, but once set can be engaged and disengaged by toggling Play Back, * which when off, reverts to the Sequencer control.
* Latching is ignored during recording,

What a nice graph..

Question though.

I have a bass line sequenced and changed the system settings to real-time , and have set the slider 1 to affect the OSC freq so I can do a typical pitch bend .

When I click record and play, and try to record my pitch bends into the already sequenced bass, it doesn’t record it .

Sometimes it records some type of FX of frequency but it sounds like a glitch.

Do you know anything about this ?

Pidcin

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 11:48:31 PM »
I made a quick little video to show the bass track that’s already sequenced . I’m trying to record the automation on it . But I click record and do a little pitch bend , and then click playback and the pitch bend isn’t recorded .

https://youtu.be/63IPrWRimPE

Stoss

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »
I made a quick little video to show the bass track that’s already sequenced . I’m trying to record the automation on it . But I click record and do a little pitch bend , and then click playback and the pitch bend isn’t recorded .

The Tempest does not record automation. It records certain parameters per step. Each step with different parameters must also contain a sound being triggered.

Check out a Synthstrom Audible Deluge or Squarp Pyramid for taking your music making away from the screen.  :)

Pidcin

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »

The Tempest does not record automation. It records certain parameters per step. Each step with different parameters must also contain a sound being triggered.

Check out a Synthstrom Audible Deluge or Squarp Pyramid for taking your music making away from the screen.  :)

Maybe I misconmubicated ..

Based off the information on page 46 from the manual, you are to record slider FX back into the pad of a sound of an already recorded sequence . I just called this automation . But right in the book it says it’s possible . And I called DSI customer support and he tested it out and it worked , however he was on 1.5 OS and I’m on 1.4 OS, and I got this info from the 1.4OS manual , so it should work ...but it’s not

Stoss

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »

Maybe I misconmubicated ..

Based off the information on page 46 from the manual, you are to record slider FX back into the pad of a sound of an already recorded sequence . I just called this automation . But right in the book it says it’s possible . And I called DSI customer support and he tested it out and it worked , however he was on 1.5 OS and I’m on 1.4 OS, and I got this info from the 1.4OS manual , so it should work ...but it’s not
You can absolutely record new parameters on FX 1-4 (wherever they exist in your sliders). It will however only record the new parameter onto steps that include a note being triggered. It will also only record the exact value it saw on the exiting location of recorded notes.

You mentioned a pitchbend, so I thought that you were looking for the recording to behave as it sounded while you were doing “realtime” effects. The unfortunate situation with setting your sliders to “realtime” is that it is much more expressive to use, but the Tempest will not be able to record what you were doing exactly how you were doing it.

Pidcin

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
So is this a glitch ? What I’m experiencing or it simply cannot be done because the DSI customer service said it’s doable ..

https://youtu.be/4HaCTxBW6yU

And you cannot record in real-time because it seems that’s the case ? However that’s what the DSI rep said. It’s doable as he tried it

Stoss

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »
So is this a glitch ? What I’m experiencing or it simply cannot be done because the DSI customer service said it’s doable ..

And you cannot record in real-time because it seems that’s the case ? However that’s what the DSI rep said. It’s doable as he tried it

You can record in realtime, but it will only record the singular value of where your slider was located as the note passes. It will not record your entire movements. You need to explore events page to understand what the Tempest saves as data to understand why it will not work.

What you want is completely logical and what I wanted long ago. There are many ways in which the Tempest bends you to its way of doing things.

Pidcin

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »

You can record in realtime, but it will only record the singular value of where your slider was located as the note passes. It will not record your entire movements. You need to explore events page to understand what the Tempest saves as data to understand why it will not work.

What you want is completely logical and what I wanted long ago. There are many ways in which the Tempest bends you to its way of doing things.

Okay, so my other option to doing this , is just to isolate each track and record it into my daw and record it live ? Doesn’t seem capable of recording real time fx with the way I’m trying to do it

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »
No, you can't I'm afraid.

Workaround is to use one of the midi values you can use as a source in the mod matrix and sequence that in the daw.

It's a real shame we can't use a midi cc to sequence/record the fx parameters externally.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Pidcin

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 02:24:09 PM »
No, you can't I'm afraid.

Workaround is to use one of the midi values you can use as a source in the mod matrix and sequence that in the daw.

It's a real shame we can't use a midi cc to sequence/record the fx parameters externally.

A shame indeed, however not a complete loss as you mentioned the use of a DAW can be a workaround to capture the FX in real-time