SoundTower Software Prophet 06

SoundTower Software Prophet 06
« on: December 23, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »
Hi, I was curious if anybody uses the SoundTower editor for the Prophet 06. I run Ableton Live 09 and downloaded the demo for the editor. I cannot get it to work. I've read online that other people are having the same issues running it in Live 09. I sent the tech team at SoundTower a message and they replied that it was tested and should work fine. I'd love to buy this editor but not if it doesn't work. Thanks!

Re: SoundTower Software Prophet 06
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 06:42:08 AM »
Can't comment on Ableton compatibility, but I use the P6 SoundTower editor running on both Win10 and XP (service pack 3). There does seem to be a rather negative attitude towards ST on this forum. I can't comment on other DSI ST products.  Their P6 editor/ Librarian isn't perfect and you do have to put some work in to configure it and learn how to use it. If you don't you can easily trash your hard work or it simply won't work!! No different to most software then!! In some respects ST haven't kept up with changes to the P6 firmware, so some of the panel representations aren't right, but you can work round these and given its other facilities, overall I think it is a very useful addition to the P6 tool set.
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 12:29:33 PM »
Can't comment on Ableton compatibility, but I use the P6 SoundTower editor running on both Win10 and XP (service pack 3). There does seem to be a rather negative attitude towards ST on this forum. I can't comment on other DSI ST products.  Their P6 editor/ Librarian isn't perfect and you do have to put some work in to configure it and learn how to use it. If you don't you can easily trash your hard work or it simply won't work!! No different to most software then!! In some respects ST haven't kept up with changes to the P6 firmware, so some of the panel representations aren't right, but you can work round these and given its other facilities, overall I think it is a very useful addition to the P6 tool set.

FYI There was an update a couple of months ago that brought the ST editor up to date with the current firmware. I found it a huge improvement on the earlier versions.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 04:10:58 AM »
That's great news. My bad for not checking it out. I'll get on the case. Thanks
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

Herr Schmitz

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:49:11 AM »
There are two editors. A standalone and a vst plugin. I don't use the vst plugin because it does not automatically compensate latency. The standalone version works great so far. I found a problem, reported it and it was fixed in 2 weeks or so. If you haven't update your editor in the last month or so, check out the download page.

I use 4 standalone editors by Soundtower and one is pretty buggy and it seems it will never be fixed. (Moog Voyager). Newer editors look generally better and I would assume(!) less buggy. There is no way around testing them.

If I should rate Soundtower, 0 beeing terrible and 100 perfection, I would give Soundtower 70 points or so.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:53:15 AM by Herr Schmitz »

DiScO

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »
I don't use the vst plugin because it does not automatically compensate latency.

Yes, I found this to be a big problem in Logic just recently with arps all over the place. Still, the GUI (plugin version) is a huge improvement and a step in the right direction for sure, hopefully they will continue in this way and improve the others.

I use four of these ST editors, two being for the P12 and P6 and whilst they have their niggles it is convenient because the hardware is on the other side of the studio. It would seem they get updated however there are some really silly things that don't get fixed. On the whole I'd say they are pretty good but I guess it's a small team so perhaps not fair to expect results overnight.

When you say the demo didn't work, in which way? Editing is disabled but the library functions seem to work.

Cheers.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »
Bought Soundtower's editor for the P8 for iPad.  Sends and receives basic MIDI messages only (i.e., Program Dumps, etc.) I've emailed their support 3x and not so much as a response.  Garbage company with an overpriced editor that barely works at best.  Save your money and use the free Ctlr version.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:30:06 AM »

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 03:33:00 AM »
I use the SoundTower editor (current release) on my P6. It works pretty well and adds a huge amount of functionality to the P6. Wouldn't want to manage my P6 patches without it.

thorp

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 02:21:15 AM »
I use the SoundTower editor (current release) on my P6. It works pretty well and adds a huge amount of functionality to the P6. Wouldn't want to manage my P6 patches without it.

Hi, I am only interested in the sequencer editor and the sound generator of the ST Editor.

Does the Editor for the Sequencer work well and in realtime?
Are the randomly generated sounds useful?
Thx

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
Hi! Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I was wondering if somebody here might be able to give me some guidance.

I'm trying to use the SoundTower SE for the Prophet 6 and am running into some unexpected behaviors with the way it works.

I'm running Cubase 11 on a Windows 10 PC.

My expectation with a VST instrument is that, when I save my Cubase project, the settings of the VST will be saved alongside the project. This is how things work with every virtual instrument and VST effect. I don't need to separately save the settings of the VST patch separately - those specific settings are saved by Cubase.

This doesn't seem to be how Soundtower for the Prophet 6 works. Every time I load my project, the settings within the PlugSE VST have reverted back to "Brassed Off" and I have to remember what the previous patch was and redo all my work.

It strikes me that there's some very basic assumption PlugSE is making about how I manage things that is different from how I manage data for every other VST I've used.

I have read the manual several times trying to find an answer, but either the answer isn't there or my assumptions about how things SHOULD work are so far off the mark that the various "librarian" functions (there are so many different features to read / write things to / from the host / instrument) are just incomprehensible to me.

Does anyone have any insights into this? I assume what I'm missing is very simple, since nothing I've read has helped me yet.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you!