newbe problem.

newbe problem.
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
hi everyone, Im new here

just bought a used tempest, like it a lot.
maybe someone can help me with problem im having (tried reading the manual about it but could not find a thing)

when play a pad constantly (not during playback) , sometime there is a sound and sometime not.
like if i play 1/8 hihat it plays like 5 out of 8 and there seem to be some kind of pattern for the note that will not sound.

another thing is when i Load a sound like "hihat/oldhat" the problem doesn't exist.

my operation system -
main OS : 1.4
voice OS :1.4
panel OS : 1.3
sam OS : 1.1

thanks, ido

Re: newbe problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
when play a pad constantly (not during playback) , sometime there is a sound and sometime not.

So the sequencer is not running?

How do you have have the Tempest connected - is it just via the main outs?

It sounds like a voice allocation thing but it shouldn't do that unless you have one of the voice outs connected to something that's not going anywhere.

Trying allocating that sound to a single voice (SHIFT+MODPATHS) and see if it still happens, then try and cycle through the various voices and see if one drops out. That's how I'd start anyway...
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 11:43:45 AM »
hi muleskinner thanx for your replay.

did what u suggested and its working partially.
if i allocate a sound to a voice i can play it repeatedly.
if i allocate multiple sound to a voice i can play it repeatedly but sound is chopped.

while other not allocated pads/sounds keep on making the problem.

i find it quite uncomfortable to work this way.
it means i have to work with allocations for each DrumSet i work with (?!).strange.
do u think there is a way to work with tempest without allocating Sounds To voices in advance.
meaning the tempest will allocate voices to sound dynamicly but without the problem i mentioned above ? maybe some system parameter change or reseting the tempest ?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:49:24 AM by idobb »

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:43:06 AM »
Try recalibrating the unit. Make sure to have no cables in the tempest. I used to have this problem. It was so long ago though I forget what it was.

Reinstall the OS's. First an fore most. Reinstall it all.
Then Try recalibrating the the OSC
Then Recalibrate the Drum pads.

To try an isolate it if its a bad voice especially if you find you hit a pad in sequence an every time its the 5th hit. Your 5th voice might be going. Go to the voice assign page an hit the pad going through all the voice assigns. If you hear a difference in the voice then it might be that as well, easy trouble shoot.

If it's still persisting it could be do to the pads on the tempest were screwed to tight at the factory an  just need to be loosened. You will have to open the tempest which is a very easy thing to do.  I honestly can't remember what it is. Usually though this would cause pads to trigger other pads.

Contact DSI an they will for sure help you.

Also to mention I had this problem. It seemed to fix it self. Earlier this year after having the tempest since its release an using nearly everyday. The main board with the Voices went on it. I think voice number 4. Very easy. DSI sent a new board, I opened it up, replaced it an it sounds just amazing, a placebo effect of better then before. Warranty is only $25 USD, you just have to pay $150 deposit they refund when they receive your old board. Just a thought. Great service.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:46:31 AM by monsters »

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:07:41 AM »
I could be mistaken... I had that problem before too but I *think* it went away after one of the software updates. You might want to try downloading the latest updates (both main and voice) installing them and recalibrate, as per the instructions.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 12:32:49 AM »
did what u suggested and its working partially.
if i allocate a sound to a voice i can play it repeatedly.
if i allocate multiple sound to a voice i can play it repeatedly but sound is chopped.

As suggested above you need to go through each voice and see if you can hear each one OK. Just do it with one sound assigned to one voice - play the note repeatedly and then move on to the next voice. Only use the main outs. They should all work and all sound as near as dammit the same.

If one voice is off recalibrate everything and repeat.

If that doesn't fix your problem contact DSI.

I'm not sure what you mean by sounds sounding 'chopped' but if you assign a bunch of sounds to the same voice they will choke each other as obviously each voice is only capable of playing one sound at a time.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »
You need to update the O/S and Voice to the latest version:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.msg6781.html#msg6781

Even though a beta it is totally stable. Make sure you follow the instructions accurately.  Then reset the system and recalibrate.

You'll be fine once done. 
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »
Thank u all!

Manage to fix it at last.
Installed 1.4.4 main os and 1.5 voice os.. still not working.

The trick was 'initialize project' !
Does the job.

Shea

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
Thank u all!

Manage to fix it at last.
Installed 1.4.4 main os and 1.5 voice os.. still not working.

The trick was 'initialize project' !
Does the job.

also, remember you can set your default initialized project.