Trying to decide if I should buy a Poly Evolver or not

LoboLives

Trying to decide if I should buy a Poly Evolver or not
« on: December 09, 2016, 02:01:37 AM »
Someone is selling a mint Poly Evolver Keyboard in my city. I'm interested but I haven't heard too much from it. I'm interested more in the digital aspect (FM/VS synthesis) as opposed to the analogue side. I'm big on those Prophet VS sounds Allan Howarth got for the scores in Big Trouble In Little China, Prince Of Darkness and They Live however I'm wondering what everyone's experiences are with it and if I should go after this as opposed to a Waldorf Blofield or wait until Yamaha brings out an FMX only synth for these type of sounds.

chysn

Re: Trying to decide if I should buy a Poly Evolver or not
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:49:56 AM »
If you're fortunate enough to have a chance to get a nice one, then do it. If you don't like it, you'll have no problem selling it later.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »
It's obviously impossible for us to say whether or not you'd like a Poly Evolver.  All we can give is our personal views on the instrument.

I'm a total Evolver enthusiast, so there's my disclaimer.  I can't speak highly enough of the instrument, but my needs are unique in that I play classical-type music. 

I would cite two outstanding negatives: the digital aliasing - which is substantial - and the limitation of having only four voices.  I'm able to work around the aliasing by avoiding certain wave shapes, or at least the upper range where the aliasing is especially pronounced (although, I have to admit that some of it is quite beautiful).  As for the number of voices, I also have a rack version, so my Poly Evolver has a glorious eight voices.  This is always an option for you in the future.

The Evolver's digital wave shapes are identical with those of the Prophet VS, plus a few new ones.  So, if you're a VS fan, the PEK is an obvious choice, although the features are not the same. 

I would suggest you seriously consider the Poly Evolver, but that you decide only after playing one.  Who knows if you might not actually care for it?  If you're interested, here's my PEK playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-CSFEgC2tTzYa70uOirGHIWGu72Pui8l
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:16:09 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:20:58 AM »
 From the posted videos that can be found, that sound alone was enough to convince me of PEK's uniqueness.  Not to mention it's the coolest looking keyboard synth ever, and built well.    So very glad I own one.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:15:59 PM »
Yeah, in addition to the sound and capabilities, I love the blue control panels and red and blue lights.  Two Poly Evolvers in a dark room look incredible.