Trying to decide a sequencer set up.

LoboLives

Trying to decide a sequencer set up.
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:48:33 AM »
I've said it before and I've said it again...I'm a huge John Carpenter fan and I'm a huge fan of sequencers. I'm trying to decide which set up I should go for. Currently I have the Moog Sub 37 doing most of the sequencing but that can get redundant fast as it's only a single track with a single patch and it can't be chained.

What I need is
A.) The ability to have different patches for each sequencer track.
B.) The ability to ratchet steps (ala Tangerine Dream)
C.) The ability to chain sequences together (I want to say "Repeat Sequence 1 three times and then switch to Sequence 2 on the last bar and repeat that entire combination X amount of times."

I want to just be able to hit "Play" on the sequencer and just record live off the floor while my Prophet 6 does most of the leads.

1.) Alan Howarth used two ARP Avatars (which were pretty much ARP Odyssey Modules) and sequenced them together using various sequencers. With the arrival of ARP Odyssey desktop modules I was thinking of getting two (as they are fairly economically priced) and run them together...but this also means I have to find a separate sequencer that ticks on the boxes and since they don't have keys I would not have the option of entering the sequence manually. Which is fine although a tad annoying. I also would have to run them through effects (reverb/delays) should I require any additional coloring to the sound.

2.) Pro 2. I was interested in a Pro 2 for a while but it seems like there's a lot of menu diving and I'm not sure if it can ratchet steps or can chain sequences together. I do like the addition of effects (delays) which saves me from having to run the synth through an Eventide. I've listened to a few demos and I haven't really heard anyone sequence multiple tracks at once with different patches or a sequence being chained.

3.) Oberheim Two Voice Pro. This seems to tick all the boxes but it is also about $5k where I live. Quite expensive. The sound is phenomenal (although I'd still have to run them through effects should I desire that) and I do like the fact most of the work is in the front panel with next to no menu diving. I'm just wondering if there is an alternative that's more economical.

Re: Trying to decide a sequencer set up.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »
What about an inexpensive Windows Surface, running Ableton Live?

Once you add the patch-changing requirements, you're way beyond a traditional hardware-based sequencer IMHO. Subtract that, and you could likely find a few, if not somewhat expensive, options.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:43:14 PM »
How about a Cirklon, may be overkill but it would tick the boxes.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »
What about an inexpensive Windows Surface, running Ableton Live?

Once you add the patch-changing requirements, you're way beyond a traditional hardware-based sequencer IMHO. Subtract that, and you could likely find a few, if not somewhat expensive, options.

Nah, I'm not a big software guy.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
How about a Cirklon, may be overkill but it would tick the boxes.

This may be an option and it may turn out to be cheaper than the Two Voice. Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 11:58:30 PM »
The only problem is that they are like unicorns, quite hard to get hold of!

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 03:17:03 AM »
The only problem is that they are like unicorns, quite hard to get hold of!

Yeah, that's not good either. Still a great option though just don't know if I really want to go on a waiting list to get a sequencer...cause by the time I get it I could have saved up enough for a Two Voice Pro...hmm..

eXode

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 03:45:24 AM »
Have you considered the Arturia BeatStep Pro?

Main Features:
2 monophonic step sequencers
Up to 64 steps per sequence

Note, velocity and gate time settings per step
Note tie
16-track drum sequencer (one track per pad)
 MIDI controller mode
Fully customizable for knobs, step buttons and velocity and pressure sensitive pads
Send MIDI CC, note data, program changes
16 Projects, each with 16x2 sequences, 16 drum sequences and a controller map.
Performance controls
Randomizer with Amount and Probability settings
Real-time looper/roller touch strip
Independent swing amount per sequence
Touch sensitive knobs
Tap Tempo
Connectivity
CV/GATE outputs (1 volt per octave CV, 10 volt gates)
8 drum gate outputs
Clock sync with multiple standards
MIDI In/Out with supplied MIDI adaptors
USB class compliant
Supports full parameter and sequencing editing capability using our free MIDI Control Center software
Kensington lock

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 06:45:32 AM »
Have you considered the Arturia BeatStep Pro?

Main Features:
2 monophonic step sequencers
Up to 64 steps per sequence

Note, velocity and gate time settings per step
Note tie
16-track drum sequencer (one track per pad)
 MIDI controller mode
Fully customizable for knobs, step buttons and velocity and pressure sensitive pads
Send MIDI CC, note data, program changes
16 Projects, each with 16x2 sequences, 16 drum sequences and a controller map.
Performance controls
Randomizer with Amount and Probability settings
Real-time looper/roller touch strip
Independent swing amount per sequence
Touch sensitive knobs
Tap Tempo
Connectivity
CV/GATE outputs (1 volt per octave CV, 10 volt gates)
8 drum gate outputs
Clock sync with multiple standards
MIDI In/Out with supplied MIDI adaptors
USB class compliant
Supports full parameter and sequencing editing capability using our free MIDI Control Center software
Kensington lock

A great little device for sure...but I don't think it can ratchet steps or chain sequences together.

eXode

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 07:15:34 AM »
And what about the Social Entropy Engine? Seems to have both ratcheting and chaining. EDIT: But not cheap.

https://www.socialentropy.com/engine/?page_id=346
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:18:06 AM by eXode »

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »
And what about the Social Entropy Engine? Seems to have both ratcheting and chaining. EDIT: But not cheap.

https://www.socialentropy.com/engine/?page_id=346

I was looking at this for a while. It sounds like a great option. It's not too expensive compared to the Two Voice Pro lol.

Just trying to think it's it's more convoluted to have like one synth drive two desktop modules into a separate sequencer as opposed to an all in one unit. Lots more wires lol. I guess it's either one or the other.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 06:18:05 AM »
Lots of more options here: http://llllllll.co/t/whats-the-best-stand-alone-hardware-sequencer/1507

While I understand the value of analogue sound and collecting space-consuming boxes to produce them, I see a sequencer mainly as a UI issue that needs to be solved. There seems to be no option with the right connectivity options and workflow at the moment? Maybe sequencers are meant to run on computers as software....

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 05:50:08 AM »
Lots of more options here: http://llllllll.co/t/whats-the-best-stand-alone-hardware-sequencer/1507

While I understand the value of analogue sound and collecting space-consuming boxes to produce them, I see a sequencer mainly as a UI issue that needs to be solved. There seems to be no option with the right connectivity options and workflow at the moment? Maybe sequencers are meant to run on computers as software....

Honestly I think at this point I'm going to go with the sequencer on the Oberheim Two Voice Pro. It can chain, ratchet, transpose...pretty much everything I want..$5k for it may not be ideal but I do get the Oberheim SEM sound as a bonus. The Cirklon or Engine are other great options as well but I figure at the price of getting one of those plus two Odyssey modules...I'm looking at just over $3k roughly...do I do that or do I just save a bit more and get the Oberheim? Also the benefit of the Oberheim is it's contained. I don't need multilple wires going from the sequencer to each module...just go from the Oberheim to the board and boom done. Plus should I want to sequence anything else I can use it as a master and slave another device.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »
For stand out gorgeousness how about an octopus http://www.genoqs.com/octopus/ they are pretty smart, I have the nemo http://www.genoqs.com/nemo/ but have always wanted an octopus.   

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »
For stand out gorgeousness how about an octopus http://www.genoqs.com/octopus/ they are pretty smart, I have the nemo http://www.genoqs.com/nemo/ but have always wanted an octopus.

Looks beautiful! Wish there was a bit more explanation on it's features. Can it ratchet? Chain? etc.

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 10:35:55 AM »
Oh yes, and in very advanced ways just like the Cirklon.

The manual is here: http://www.genoqs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/OCT_NG_v162_A4.pdf

The Nemo is also similar.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »
The Pyramid is one that I gave been meaning to get hold of as well, pretty neat little device http://www.squarp.net might be worth a look at the manual, much easier to get hold of than a Cirklon or octopus/nemo.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 08:03:33 AM »
Just ordered a Pyramid for Christmas, I blame you LoboLives :)

Will let you know how it goes...

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 08:22:12 AM »
Just ordered a Pyramid for Christmas, I blame you LoboLives :)

Will let you know how it goes...

LOL I might have to follow your lead. I was thinking of having the Tempest be my sequencer but I heard you can only output one Midi channel only. I was going to have it drive two ARP Odysseys...but alas I guess not. I'm just really hesitant to spend $5k on the Two Voice Pro. There doesn't seem to be too many demos or two much information on it. A lot of videos don't really even go into the sequencer aspect of the synth that much. I wonder if Dave would ever bring back a modern version of the Programmers they had in the 80s. http://modularsynthesis.com/SCI/700/m700_top.jpg

blewis

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »
It's probably ill advised, but I'm banking on the rumored MPC Live as my future sequencer. I've got the Touch now so any work I do will transfer over once it a) comes out and b) gets the initial bugs sorted.

Oh and it's a sampler. Two MIDI outs.

Could be a while. Will know more at NAMM