Volume jump

Psalm37

• Check out the website link, thanks.
    • http://www.timmantle.com/psalm37.html
Volume jump
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:22:34 AM »
Hi all,

I've tried to search for this problem but have failed to find anything like this issue.
The volume of my Tempest is jumping significantly between notes outside of a certain octave range.

Here are the conditions.
I have a midi keyboard connected to the Tempest via it's Midi In.
I have set up a sound to simply play an endless (full sustain amp) saw wave on Oscillator 1 only.
All other patch parameters are basic, as an initialized patch - i.e no mods, no weird envelopes.

The problem is I have about 3 octaves in the middle of the keyboard which play at one volume level, but if I step outside that octave range (either side, below or above) the volume rises I'd say about 50%.

I've tried another midi keyboard and the same thing happens.
If I raise the Oscillator 1 pitch dial outside of this octave range, directly on the Tempest, then the same jump in volume happens.
Same thing via headphone jack or Main Outs.

I've reset the Tempest to factory, I'm running 1.4, everything as latest from the support page.

Is this a known issue or am I missing something?

Psalm37

Re: Volume jump
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »
Hi all,

I've tried to search for this problem but have failed to find anything like this issue.
The volume of my Tempest is jumping significantly between notes outside of a certain octave range.

Here are the conditions.
I have set up a sound to simply play an endless (full sustain amp) saw wave on Oscillator 1 only.
All other patch parameters are basic, as an initialized patch - i.e no mods, no weird envelopes.

The problem is I have about 3 octaves in the middle of the keyboard which play at one volume level, but if I step outside that octave range (either side, below or above) the volume rises I'd say about 50%.

If I raise the Oscillator 1 pitch dial outside of this octave range, directly on the Tempest, then the same jump in volume happens.

I've reset the Tempest to factory, I'm running 1.4, everything as latest from the support page.

Update:

A1 - G5 are fine but outside this range is not...

You can test this your end by putting a basic synth sound on A1 pad.
Just use Oscillator 1, set it to Saw.
Now, cycle through the frequency/pitch of Oscillator 1 (whilst triggering the pad on each cycle) from C2 down on to the following problem notes:

F0 F#0 G0 G#0
F1 F#1 G1 G#1
G#5 A5 A#5 B5
C6 C#6 D6 D#6

If you experience the same problem as me you will notice a significant jump in volume between A1 and G#1, also a step between G5 and G#5.
There may be more problem notes than this, but not between the range A1 - G5

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:02:25 AM »
Hi all,

Here are the conditions.

Update:

Now, cycle through the frequency/pitch of Oscillator 1 (whilst triggering the pad on each cycle) from C2 down on to the following problem notes:

F0 F#0 G0 G#0
F1 F#1 G1 G#1
G#5 A5 A#5 B5
C6 C#6 D6 D#6

If you experience the same problem as me you will notice a significant jump in volume between A1 and G#1, also a step between G5 and G#5.

As a first port of call, make sure you disconnect all audio cables then run the calibration in the system menu (hit the system button then navigate to the last page).  This fixes some issues.

Psalm37

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 04:42:28 AM »
Hi all,

Here are the conditions.

Update:

F0 F#0 G0 G#0
F1 F#1 G1 G#1
G#5 A5 A#5 B5
C6 C#6 D6 D#6

As a first port of call, make sure you disconnect all audio cables then run the calibration in the system menu (hit the system button then navigate to the last page).  This fixes some issues.

Okay, this seems to have solved it, I had previously calibrated but had left a jack adapter in the headphone socket and this must have been what was throwing it  ::) Thanks