Any way to turn off Quantize for Oscillator Frequencies?

Any way to turn off Quantize for Oscillator Frequencies?
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
Hey,

New Prophet 6 owner here and I must say I'm left breathless every time I play on it and the hours keep flying by!

I was wondering if anybody knows how to turn off quantization for both oscillator frequencies? 

I'm not digging the audible tonal step it creates when trying to harmonize different oscillator frequencies.  I wish it was smooth so not to sound so darn obvious when turning the knobs.

Thanks!
John
Moog Voyager, Prophet 6, OB-6 Desktop, Korg MicroKorg-S, Toraiz SP-16 and AS-1.

Re: Any way to turn off Quantize for Oscillator Frequencies?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:08:38 AM »
I hear what you're hearing. The resolution on the fine tune is definitely quantised- I too would like finer/more natural resolution/sound. Hope someone from DSI can chime in here.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:33:18 AM »
I'm not sure what resolution those pots are working at.  Surely tuning with un-quantised values over 5 octaves with a single knob would be impossible to keep in tune?

The only time I really feel a frustration with the quantised tuning for the oscillators is when I want to get a classic hard sync sweep.  That's when I want a smooth un-quantised oscillator 1.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:09:47 PM »
Doesn't the fine tune control not allow the frequency to be set between the quantized values?

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:53:14 PM »
Hey DJKeys, yes, you're right.  I wasn't specific enough at the start of the topic. :)  Finding and holding a note is fine.  I wanted to have the option to unquantize them so I could sweep the frequencies like on my Voyager. 

I like tweaking the frequencies on the fly and matching certain pitches for added musical effect, but as quantized, it sounds pretty bad doing that live.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 05:05:03 PM »
Just letting anybody who is interested in this thread know that I spoke with Dave Smith at an event in a music training school recently and asked him a question pertaining to this topic. 

He replied that there is no way to turn off the semi-tone quantization on the oscillator frequencies and no future plans to do so in any future firmware updates. 

He said it was designed that way to keep it in tune, or something along those lines.

*Oh, and another thing he showed off, when you set effects to spring reverb, he smacked the wood side panels and it made an actual spring reverb sound as if a real spring was bouncing around its tank.

**And custom Mono Prophet 6 gig bags are expected to come out in January 2016

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 06:13:24 AM »
I was asking myself (and the community before I read this message) the same thing.
This is too bad. I like to sweep the frequency too. It's great on the other synth I have and I'm sure it would have been terrific on the Prophet 6.