Tempest in DI box to mixer

Tempest in DI box to mixer
« on: November 27, 2016, 05:57:58 AM »
Hello! New user here!  ;) :D ;D

Question about unbalanced T output to balanced mixer input. Do I need to run the T through a DI first? Or is it fine running its unbalanced ouputs via unbalanced stereo cables? Im planning on using Y cables and a 4 point stereo cable for some of the 6 stereo voice outs (some hard panned mono , some stereo) and the main stereo out, respectively. Im using a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer. Thanks!!

Re: Tempest in DI box to mixer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 06:20:53 AM »
If the cable runs are short (say, less than 10 feet or so), you should use the unbalanced inputs on the EFX8. There are no advantages to using a DI box (or boxes in your case) IMHO when using a mixer with electronically-balanced inputs and short cable runs.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:49:07 AM »
Thanks for the response!

In the case of a mixer that has no unbalanced inputs, such as the soundcraft signature mtk 12, would i need DI boxes for outputs then? Or can i run short unbalanced cables?

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:09:29 AM »
Thanks for the response!

In the case of a mixer that has no unbalanced inputs, such as the soundcraft signature mtk 12, would i need DI boxes for outputs then? Or can i run short unbalanced cables?

do u have to wire my unbalanced cables in this case? is a possible hum/ interference/noise the only thing i have to worry about in the case of unbalanced T out to balanced mixer in? i know the best answer is to TRY IT but i want to be sure as to not damage anything!. Thanks!