Desktop + PolyEvolver ("Fivevolver"...ß)

nielsd

• dettenbach audio
    • dettenbach audio
Desktop + PolyEvolver ("Fivevolver"...ß)
« on: November 25, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
Hiho Evolver Fans,

in a lucky position to shoot a PolyEvolver (Rack), i want to PolyChain my existing Desktop Evolver with it, while driving that beast by Soundtowers PolyEvolver Editor (still have the Evolver Editor license too).

It seems "running" so far, but i'm unclear about the MIDI "back" to read from the Evolver (i.e. patchdumps / sysex etc) which didn't work so far:

MIDI is routed:
Mac/PC <-> MIDI IN (Desktop Evo) MIDI OUT <-> MIDI IN (PolyEvo) <-> MIDI OUT <-> MIDI IN (MAC/PC)
-> this produces a MIDI loop so far

MIDI Xmit: ALL
MIDI Channel: ALL
MIDI Rec: ALL

Audio is routed:
DAW <-> ExtIN (Desktop Evo) Audio OUT <-> Mix IN (PolyEvo) <-> OUT <-> DAW

(seems working OK with polyphony)

This setups allows to play polyphone up to 5 voices and switching voices as tweaking over MIDI (SoundTower Editor) seems to work - but just from Editor to the Evo Chain.

If i try to dump the current Evo banks "back" into the Editor there is no response - so i can't read from the Evo banks.

As i read from the Keyboard Evolvers they have a dedicated "MIDI Poly OUT" or similiar jack which is not available on a Desktop evolver.

It would be OK to use the chain in "program mode" only. Do i have to read the programs from the "last" device or the first device - or what makes more sense / is possible at least?

many thanks for any hint,

Niels.

Did i overseed anything or do i have to switch the order of the both polys in the MIDI chain or what can i do?

many thanks,

Niels.

---
Niels Dettenbach
[db]
dettenbach audio
http://dettenbach.de
((d^b))
dettenbach audio
http://dettenbach.com
[Evolver+PolyEvolver Rack, Pro2, Tempest]
patches: http://dettenbach.syndicat.com

Peter Hanes

• Evolver, PolyEvolver
Re: Desktop + PolyEvolver ("Fivevolver"...ß)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 08:27:25 AM »
I don't fully understand your problem but I have a similar setup. If I describe what I do, there is a small chance that it might help you think about your setup.

I have a MIDI sequencer, a (Mono) Evolver (Desktop) and a PolyEvolver (Rack).

My connections are:
Sequencer MIDI out to MED MIDI In
MED MIDI Out to PER MIDI In
PER MIDI Thru to sequencer MIDI In

The sequencer is configured so that there is no MIDI loop.

I only use Program mode on the PER, never Combi mode, with the intention of having a 5-voice monotimbral Evolver. I originally dumped all my MED programs into the corresponding banks of the PER.

The MED's MIDI channel is set to the specific number required for reception from the sequencer and its PolyChain parameter is set to "All".   

The PER's MIDI channel is set to "All" because the MED's PolyChain output data does not transmit on the same channel as the MED is set to receive on (I think this is a bug). The PER's PolyChain setting is set to "Off" because I have no further Evolvers downstream.

I use the MED as the user interface for the 5-voice synth. Changing parameters on the MED changes the corresponding parameter on the PER. I just need to remember to save the changed Program on both the MED and PER; failing that, I can always dump the updated program from the MED to the PER. Changing Program on the MED similarly changes the Program on the PER.

If the sequencer sends CC messages to the MED then these are also passed through to the PER.

If I tweak a program on the MED then the tweaks are also passed through the PER and can be stored if required in the sequencer. If I initiate a program dump on the MED then the data goes to both the PER and the sequencer, where it can be stored.

I haven't used an editor with my Evolvers but I think that if you substitute your computer & editor for my sequencer in the above description then you might find something useful.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:32:36 AM by Peter Hanes »

nielsd

• dettenbach audio
    • dettenbach audio
Re: Desktop + PolyEvolver ("Fivevolver"...ß)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »
Hi Peter,

many thanks for your detailed explanations. My setup seems very similiar, except that i use a DAW (Mac) / software sequencer instead of a (hardware) sequencer and i use MIDI OUT on the PEV instead of MIDI TRHU.

Especially this was very helpful, because i used the MIDI OUT from the PEV - this makes sense:
PER MIDI Thru to sequencer MIDI In

The sequencer is configured so that there is no MIDI loop.

If I initiate a program dump on the MED then the data goes to both the PER and the sequencer, where it can be stored.

THANKX! This works.

I just have found bug or problem: In glide mode glide is not working for the first note (the PEV did not seem to "know" that he has to play a glide when the first note was on the DEV). Have to further investigate that...

many thanks,
best regards,

Niels.

btw:
The SoundTower Editor for PolyEvolver (Mac / Win) is free for (DSI registered?) PEV users (if i understand right) - if i understand right (got my PEK 2nd hand...) you just have to ask at SoundTower by Email and they send you a personal license. The Desktop standalone and VST "Mono" (?) version costs around 50 bucks. The VST "Mono" Evolver version is capable to use a Poly Chain in program mode (and i think with a MIDI processor even in combo mode / multi timbral, but i did not use that so far) - but costs (not "Included" for PEV Owners).

One nice thing is: You did not have to dump patches between the evolvers, when loading / selecting patches over the librarian / editor they are directly transferred to both and instantly available on both (have to check if write work for both).

Even if you prefer tweaking and working on hardware only - as a librarian / patch catalog the standalone PEV version is really nice and with the "random" and "morph" functions it is possible to really intuitively hands on tweaking your Evolver and mouse editing + loading wavetables (as on the PE keyboard evolver, but by mouse/MIDI plus editing sequences very comfortable) - even if you have a keyboard evolver with "dedicated knobs". So this may interesting for you too. Sorry for the noise if this is not "your field"...ß)

((d^b))
dettenbach audio
http://dettenbach.com
[Evolver+PolyEvolver Rack, Pro2, Tempest]
patches: http://dettenbach.syndicat.com