Is the Prophet 12 module right for me?

Is the Prophet 12 module right for me?
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
I'm considering getting the P12 module. Current synths I own right now are the Tetra, Mother-32 and OP-1. I'd likely have to sell the Tetra and/or Mother-32 to get the P12 (I love the OP-1 and will not part with it). I really like the sound of the Tetra but it's too reliant on other stuff (midi controller to map common parameters, FX units, software editors etc.) to get the sound and editing capabilities I want. I'm also considering the Prophet 08 module as well. I was hoping some of you could answer a few questions to help me decide.

- Is editing on the P12 as quick and easy as it is marketed to be? I've read mixed opinions on this. I don't mind using endless encoders and the display as long as it is still quick and immediate, and not buggy like some other synths i've used.
- Can the P12 cover most of the territory the Tetra does? Will I miss the Tetra or Mother-32 if I sell them?
- How deep/complex is the P08 compared to the P12? Can the P08 do things that the Tetra can't, or is it strictly an 8 voice version of the Tetra? How easy is it to program modulation/sequences? That was the main thing that I found tedious on the Tetra.
- Are all the bugs ironed out of the P12 OS? Is it likely to continue to be updated for a while?

Musically i'd be using this for a lot of drone/ambient/experimental stuff, but I also need to be able to cover more traditional stuff as well. I want something that is deep that will tide me over as my main synth for a a long time. The experimental nature of modular/eurorack is really appealing to me, but frankly I don't have the time or money to get into it (i'm a guitar/bass player primarily and also a recording engineer). The claim that the P12 has modular-like capabilities seems to be ideal for me. Is this actually the case and will this keep me from wanting to get into modular?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Is the Prophet 12 module right for me?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »
- How deep/complex is the P08 compared to the P12? Can the P08 do things that the Tetra can't, or is it strictly an 8 voice version of the Tetra? How easy is it to program modulation/sequences? That was the main thing that I found tedious on the Tetra.

The Prophet 12 is much deeper than the Prophet '08, but the P'08 is not a shallow synthesizer.  The P'08 is excellent at designing precise musical sounds in the old school/vintage tradition, and yet its modulation abilities go well beyond it.  It can do most everything the Tetr4 can do, minus the distortion.  It's larger size means that the layer and split modes can produce more flexible and fuller sounds.  But its tone is undeniably Tetr4-ish.  I seldom use the sequencer, except for controlling modulation - usually keyboard triggered.  I do find it quite easy to program, though.

The issue between the P12 and the P'08 comes down to your individual needs.  There's no doubt that the P12 is a monster of an instrument with almost unheard-of capabilities for a non-modular keyboard synthesizer.  If you want a vast array of sonic capabilities, if you'd like to design deep and complex patches and noises with precision, then this is the instrument for you.  But the general consensus is that, although it can do old school/vintage type sounds, these are not its strength.  There's much debate over this, but most agree that it's good at old school/vintage type sounds, but not great.  Based on my research of this instrument since its release, I would definitely agree.  And I think it's safe to say that it's not a substitute for the P'08.  The P'08 shines at a wide range of old school/vintage sounds - organ, brass, strings, pads, sawtooth and square leads, and much more.  And because of its nearly parameter-per-function control panel, it's much easier to use than the Tetr4.   

So, the key is in your own needs.  Both instruments are superb in their respective corners, but one cannot replace the other.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:40:34 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:53:53 AM »
Do you need more analogue polyphonic voices, in the same vein as the Tetra? If so, maybe a Prophet '08 desktop (or keyboard) might fit the bill.

If you'd like to integrate additional modular-friendly patching with a (albeit mono-/para-phonic) voice structure similar to that of the Prophet-12, you might consider the Pro-2 as an aside, with filters (SSM-style and Oberheim SEM) that are completely different than the Curtis filter used for the Tetra / Prophet '08.

All three units (P-12 kbd / desktop, Pro-2) do require a little bit of screen-diving in order to program, given the wave generation options, so do keep that in mind. Right now, the P-12 desktop does seem to offer the most voices per $ within the DSI lineup, if polyphony (6 + 6) is a consideration.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »
I also have an OP-1 (will never part with it!) and am interested in the replies to the thread. I also have a P'08 and love it. I chose it mainly based on price, but I'm thinking about buying the P12 module some day. The P12m kind of reminds me of the OP-1 in terms of its user interface and the way the effects and synth settings are intertwined.

In terms of the UI, the P'08 falls short of the P12 (and OP-1). When you're modifying LFO settings, the display only shows one LFO setting at a time. I'd like to be able to see all of the settings (freq, dest, shape, amount) at the same time on the display. Same for the modulation settings. Makes setting these kind of a pain.

(off topic: there's a new beta OS for the OP-1 that now has waveshapes for the Tremolo LFO. I wish the would make a VA synth engine. The new Voltage engine doesn't quite do it for me.)

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
Have you tried the software editor for the P-08?  When I want to see the overview of what I am programming, I find it the best way to see everything.

I've considered adding a P-12 too.  However, I have a Pro-2 along with the P-08, and wonder if a P-12 is overkill.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.